1       2       3              20      
       end

Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

snapsy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.21 #1 · p.21 #1 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

Fred Miranda wrote:
Do you see any possibility for the in-camera 'apps' to be used from the PlayMemories 'Mobile' app instead? (through wifi or bluetooth)
Like that, Sony could continue the development of apps for our devices to be used with all Sony cameras.
Everyone has a phone in their pocket. Problem solved!

I've done some work with the WiFi API Sony offers to Smartphone developers. It's rather limited in its current form and doesn't offer the functionality needed to implement an advanced app like Smooth Reflections. It offers basic primitives such as changing the exposures, specifying a focus point, taking an exposure, etc...

Oct 29, 2017 at 07:00 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.21 #2 · p.21 #2 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

snapsy wrote:
I've done some work with the WiFi API Sony offers to Smartphone developers. It's rather limited in its current form and doesn't offer the functionality needed to implement an advanced app like Smooth Reflections. It offers basic primitives such as changing the exposures, specifying a focus point, taking an exposure, etc...

What I meant is for Sony (not developers) to port their current in-camera apps to run from the Playmemories mobile app instead. (Like they do with the Smart Remote).
Eventually they could update their API for third-party development.

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:45 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.21 #3 · p.21 #3 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

Faulta wrote:
(some rumors say, Sony cameras used to use an old ancient Android version as their base)

Android 4.4 kitkat to be precise. Not a rumor, demonstrable fact. The Sony sdk is the android sdk.

Oct 31, 2017 at 09:32 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.21 #4 · p.21 #4 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

thrice wrote:
Android 4.4 kitkat to be precise. Not a rumor, demonstrable fact. The Sony sdk is the android sdk.

Very interesting. I think the future is PlayMemories Mobile though. I don't care about downloading apps onto the camera as that has proven to be a bad idea in terms of functionality and speed.
If Sony develops photography tools like bracketing, stacking, intervalometer forsmart devices, it would be a great alternative although I still think this should be built-in to the main firmware.

Nov 14, 2017 at 06:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

moosehead222
• •
p.21 #5 · p.21 #5 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

I feel like a kid that knows what they are getting for Christmas but have to wait. And to think I was a little sad the other day when I traded in my Galen Rowell ND filters. I am all in with Sony and no going back due to the expense ..... and it has been fun reading and looking at all the stellar photos, ..... and now reading about Sky HDR, Smooth Reflection, in camera applications that work on raw files, ...

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:50 AM
Parariss
• •
p.21 #6 · p.21 #6 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

Fred Miranda wrote:
Very interesting. I think the future is PlayMemories Mobile though. I don't care about downloading apps onto the camera as that has proven to be a bad idea in terms of functionality and speed.
If Sony develops photography tools like bracketing, stacking, intervalometer forsmart devices, it would be a great alternative although I still think this should be built-in to the main firmware.

This makes sense to me, too. There's a natural division between the devices, and the mobile phone platform is already designed to support secure, 3rd party development. Functions that involve intelligent, automated control of existing camera functions (e.g. bracketing and stacking) can be readily offloaded to a mobile software controller whereas firmware level features (e.g. pixel shift) need to be handled onboard the camera. This approach provides the most features for the least problems. There is still a design question over the point at which Sony will force us to take out our phones to run the camera. The camera still needs to function fully without an adjacent phone and compete with competitors so we won't see existing simple exposure bracketing moved out of the camera, but fancier functions that are used less frequently and/or strain the camera's user interface or processor aren't likely to appear onboard. Hopefully, Sony will support third party development of mobile apps instead of stifling new feature development by trying to lock down the mobile app market.

Nov 15, 2017 at 03:08 PM
navmannz
• •
p.21 #7 · p.21 #7 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

moosehead222 wrote:
I feel like a kid that knows what they are getting for Christmas but have to wait. And to think I was a little sad the other day when I traded in my Galen Rowell ND filters. I am all in with Sony and no going back due to the expense ..... and it has been fun reading and looking at all the stellar photos, ..... and now reading about Sky HDR, Smooth Reflection, in camera applications that work on raw files, ...

I think that I feel more like a kid who is offered a great new toy but only if I agree to handing back the best parts of my favorite toy from last Christmas - night-sky images that retain all their stars, and now the in-camera apps. This Santa certainly has some funny quirks...

-John

Nov 15, 2017 at 07:10 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password