FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17      
       19       20       end

Archive 2015 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #1 · p.18 #1 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

Got some funkiness in the sky with this one.
Base exposure of 1/10th and I think 32 shots

Mar 02, 2017 at 10:04 PM
mjm6
• •
p.18 #2 · p.18 #2 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

johnahill wrote:
Got some funkiness in the sky with this one.
Base exposure of 1/10th and I think 32 shots

Looks like very fast moving clouds... 1/10 second exposure with 1 second between, if the clouds are moving rapidly, the cloud displacement between the shots is approximately 9x the displacement during the shot, and you could see the gaps.

This is the same problem as moving vehicles lights (look back at the boat photo some posts back), but normally the clouds aren't moving fast enough to have an apparent problem like this, I don't think.

Lengthen the exposure as much as possible to help smear the clouds in the individual shots.

Mar 02, 2017 at 10:17 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.18 #3 · p.18 #3 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

No, dont like this affect, was trying for streaks of cloud but this looks messy.
Might just buy a lee super stopper for this sort of thing

Mar 03, 2017 at 07:41 AM
rhawidantas

Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #4 · p.18 #4 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

I was wondering about the SR app versus Timelapse.

I ask this because with the Timelapse app it is possible to, in the A7rII, use the silent shooting option and "save" some shutter actuations (specially when doing over 30 shots, it quickly adds up) and also have better highlight recovery compare to the SR app.

Downside, of course, its the huge amount of file storage for all those shots, 32shots*80mb=2560mb, and an even greater amount of processing power in the desktop.

Anyone here used the Timelapse app (instead of the SR app) and blended shots in post?

Mar 07, 2017 at 01:40 PM
navmannz
• •
p.18 #5 · p.18 #5 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

johnahill wrote:
No, dont like this affect, was trying for streaks of cloud but this looks messy.
Might just buy a lee super stopper for this sort of thing

You could always combine the smooth reflections app and a less drastic ND filter - I usually just carry a 3-stop ND now if travelling light, knowing that the two in combination will get me close to a 10-stop...

-John

Mar 07, 2017 at 07:40 PM
kdrk888
• • •
p.18 #6 · p.18 #6 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

navmannz wrote:
You could always combine the smooth reflections app and a less drastic ND filter - I usually just carry a 3-stop ND now if travelling light, knowing that the two in combination will get me close to a 10-stop...

-John

John, how many shots in SR app do you need to have to achieve the 10-stop ND effect with a 3-stop ND?

Douglas

Mar 08, 2017 at 04:13 AM
Matt Kerby
• • •
p.18 #7 · p.18 #7 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

with my a7rii & 24-70GM

ILCE-7RM2 f/81/356mmISO100

Mar 08, 2017 at 04:47 AM
navmannz
• •
p.18 #8 · p.18 #8 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

kdrk888 wrote:
John, how many shots in SR app do you need to have to achieve the 10-stop ND effect with a 3-stop ND?

Douglas

From my calculations, you'd need to double the number for every stop that you want to achieve, so using a 3-stop you should get a 6-stop effect with 8 exposures, and a 10-stop effect with 128 exposures. Make sense?

-John

Mar 08, 2017 at 05:06 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.18 #9 · p.18 #9 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

navmannz wrote:
From my calculations, you'd need to double the number for every stop that you want to achieve, so using a 3-stop you should get a 6-stop effect with 8 exposures, and a 10-stop effect with 128 exposures. Make sense?

-John

I posted a break-down list on the first post of this thread. Starting with a 3-stop filter and a 6-stop filter.
Check it out:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1403764/0#13337626

Mar 08, 2017 at 05:33 AM
kdrk888
• • •
p.18 #10 · p.18 #10 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

Thanks, John, Fred. I am getting an 82mm ND filter for occasional use for rivers and water falls, perhaps in combination with the SR app, wondering how many stops (the filter) I should buy first.

Thanks,

Douglas

Mar 08, 2017 at 12:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

schlotz
• • • •
p.18 #11 · p.18 #11 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

Sure wish Sony would provide an update to SR to use the silent shutter, i.e. eliminate massive increase in the shutter mechanism that SR currently forces.

Mar 08, 2017 at 01:12 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.18 #12 · p.18 #12 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

They probably see it has a way of cameras breaking earlier and more income for them

Mar 08, 2017 at 01:38 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.18 #13 · p.18 #13 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

schlotz wrote:
Sure wish Sony would provide an update to SR to use the silent shutter, i.e. eliminate massive increase in the shutter mechanism that SR currently forces.

The more people request this, the higher our chances to see this feature.
Here is a thread I started at the Sony website:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1403764/15#13903523

Mar 08, 2017 at 03:03 PM
nandadevieast
• • •
p.18 #14 · p.18 #14 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

Does this app takes all these pictures with electronic shutter or physical shutter?
If physical shutter then the camera will only be good for a few thousand shots, maybe couple of thousands, am i right?
Can it work with an e-shutter?

Mar 08, 2017 at 04:26 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.18 #15 · p.18 #15 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

It could work if the app supported the electronic shutter, which it doesn't at the moment. Pretty disappointing...

Mar 08, 2017 at 04:42 PM
navmannz
• •
p.18 #16 · p.18 #16 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

One feature that I've just discovered does work with the smooth reflections app is the long exposure noise reduction. I had assumed that this feature gets switched off the same as the electronic shutter as soon as you go into the app. However, I was shooting some high iso night shots (3200 iso and 20 seconds) last night, and noticed that I still had quite a lot of noise and speckle, even when using the app to combine multiple shots.

On a whim, I turned on the long exposure noise reduction and found that it not only works, but also gives a substantial reduction in speckle across a 4-image exposure compared to when the same number of shots without it were combined. Comparing a single image with long-exposure NR against either of the four shot images, the big gains for the app were not only in overall cleanliness of the image, but also in the saturation and colour rendering.
In addition, the 4-image exposure with long exposure NR is definitely superior to an 8-image exposure without long exposure NR - in other words, at high iso, diverting half of your exposure time to dark frames via the long exposure noise reduction setting, gives an additional gain over the smooth reflections app on its own.

-John

Mar 15, 2017 at 09:29 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.18 #17 · p.18 #17 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

so just got all my sony gear together, and am wanting to get these two apps. My question is should i download right from the camera? I was about to, but i am seeing that V.1 of Sky HDR is on there, but newer version isn't. Yet when i check on their website on my computer, V 1.11 is the one i would download.

also i read (now this was from december 2015, could have changed by now) that the app wouldn't work with manual focus lenses in "M" mode, only aperture priority mode. Is this true?

Mar 24, 2017 at 03:37 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.18 #18 · p.18 #18 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

Let's keep replying to this thread:
http://community.sony.com/t5/PlayMemories/Smooth-Reflections-app-Feature-Request/m-p/613406#U613406

It may get their attention!
Fred

Mar 25, 2017 at 03:24 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.18 #19 · p.18 #19 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

so i downloaded to my MBP and then onto my camera. Worked fine. Now will test this out tomorrow

Mar 25, 2017 at 03:30 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.18 #20 · p.18 #20 · Sky HDR and Smooth Reflection Apps

I don't often use the smooth reflection app, but this morning I needed it because I had neither tripod nor ND filter with me - just my A7R and the Leica 35/2 lens. Placing the camera on the ground and on some pieces of wood gave sufficient support for the number of frames to take. I used the app in mono mode with 2 sec self timer for the first frame. I really like the results here on this cloudy and partially misty morning. No RAW file, just the final JPG as mentioned earlier, but it didn't need post processing other than straightening a bit the horizon.

http://martinbluhm.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v92/p2289551340-5.jpg

http://martinbluhm.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v100/p2289551341-5.jpg

Apr 22, 2017 at 07:54 PM
       19       20       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

19       20       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password