New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

m.sommers00
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

Currently I use a D810 and Nikkor 16-35mm with a lee filter kit using 4x6 filters. Addtionally a 10-stop and circularizer polarizer 77mm screw ins.

With doing more real estate and landscape, I'm really thinking that I'd like to get a T/S. But with Nikon offering 24mm as the widest, I'm seriously looking at the Canon 17mm option. Which leaves me these two cameras.

The 14-24 lens is great, but having to spend that money and invest in a whole new filter system which is large (in some cases ridiculously so) and an additional cost. The difference in cost between these lenses is about $450 CDN. The adapter ring for the 17mm is only $100 and I can use my existing Lee filters.

Overall what are you guy's thoughts on this? I really don't know what to think and I'm open to any suggestions or if I'm not thinking this through.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:56 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

I think you should skip the 5DSR. Coming from a D810 you will be disappointed in the DR and shadows. This is important with landscape and you will always have the urge to go back to the 810 or sony.

My solution for your problem was to get the 20mm 1.8G and the zeiss 15mm with my D810. The Zeiss can take screw on filters and the 20 can take 77mm filters which I already had a lot of from when I used the 17-35. If I want to use GND filters I use the 20. Everything else I can use with the Zeiss 15mm.

I honestly rarely find the need to pull out my GND setup since the DR is incredible on the D810. I also do manual blending in photoshop with multiple exposures so there is ways around the GND issue.

I also have a 16mm 3.5 AI fisheye to round out my UWA needs.

I still have the 14-24 but I haven't used it since last spring when I got the Zeiss. THe 15mm and Nikon 20mm is a really nice combo for landscape.

Dec 17, 2015 at 02:37 PM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

m.sommers00 wrote:
Currently I use a D810 and Nikkor 16-35mm with a lee filter kit using 4x6 filters. Addtionally a 10-stop and circularizer polarizer 77mm screw ins.

With doing more real estate and landscape, I'm really thinking that I'd like to get a T/S. But with Nikon offering 24mm as the widest, I'm seriously looking at the Canon 17mm option. Which leaves me these two cameras.

The 14-24 lens is great, but having to spend that money and invest in a whole new filter system which is large (in some cases ridiculously so) and an additional cost. The difference in cost between these lenses
...Show more

The Canon 17mm TS-E is not an amazing performer when significantly shifted on the 5DSR.

You haven't actually specified what your problem with the 16-35 is. If it is lack of capability to shift, the 14-24 does not address this regardless of cost or filter constraints. If it sharpness on the wide end, then certainly an upgrade to the 14-24 will offer an improvement.

Perhaps consider the Tamron 15-30 instead of the 14-24; personally I regard it as a superior lens to the Nikon (loss of 1mm on the wide end not withstanding) and it is much cheaper. The cost difference between the two lenses can fund the new filters you require. I just picked up a Tamron 15-30 a few days ago and have been very pleased with it, and I have previously owned (and sold) the 14-24.

The 5DSR represents a giant leap backwards in dynamic range, which should be important to you given you say you shoot landscapes.

The A7Rii with a Metabones adapter to use Canon lenses could also be an option, although as mentioned the 17mm TSE isn't a stellar performer when shifted on high-res sensors.

Unless you absolutely need shift (which from your post, it seems you do not as you are also considering the 14-24) I would stick with the D810.

Dec 18, 2015 at 06:12 PM
Surfnsun
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

Another vote for the Tamron 15-30 with your current D810.

Dec 18, 2015 at 06:51 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

another option is the nikon 24mm PC along with the rokinon 14mm.

Dec 18, 2015 at 07:41 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

Thanks everyone for their feedback.

I am quite surprised that the 17mm isn't that great on the Canon body. In what way? I thought this was very much a benchmark lens.

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:15 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

I jumped from a 5DMKIII to a D810 and it was a huge improvement. Jumped from a D810 to the a7RII and meh. I have relisted the Sony here on FM. Some features are nice and the system weight is fantastic but I miss my D810.

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:42 PM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

m.sommers00 wrote:
Thanks everyone for their feedback.

I am quite surprised that the 17mm isn't that great on the Canon body. In what way? I thought this was very much a benchmark lens.

That isn't too say its a bad lens, and in fact unshifted it is pretty stellar. Once significantly shifted, you will see notable degradation. Whether this matters to you, only you can say. It is still the widest T/S option available and remains a well-regarded lens accordingly. Just don't expect it to be razor sharp to the edges at extreme shift on a 50MP body.

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:08 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

Surfnsun wrote:
Another vote for the Tamron 15-30 with your current D810.

+1 It was an absolutely stellar lens on my trip to Iceland (on D800E) and that VR is superb when shooting low shutter speeds without the need to pull out a tripod. Flare resistance is superb too.

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:12 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

The 17 TSE is a stellar lens -- even shifted. How do you think those great two and three panel shifted panos are made?

It is one of my very favorite Canon lenses, along with the 24 TSEII.

It will perform well on any body, including the 50MP 5DsR.

That doesn't take away from the Nikon offerings. Both systems are great and also have their weaknesses.

But only Canon has the 17 TSE.

I'm using the D800e more now than my Canon stuff, until I can afford a high MP Canon body, then things will swing back toward greater Canon use. But when I need T&S, out comes my 1Ds3.

Dec 19, 2015 at 01:16 AM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

Gunzorro wrote:
The 17 TSE is a stellar lens -- even shifted. How do you think those great two and three panel shifted panos are made?

You can make shifted panos regardless of how the lens performs on the extreme edges when shifted...

It will perform well on any body, including the 50MP 5DsR.

Depends on your definition of performs well. Unshifted, I agree, it's great. Even with a small amount of shift. But ramp it out to a 12mm shift and there is significant loss of resolution in the edges/corners - it certainly isn't an amazing performer in my eyes.

Anyway I am not going to debate the merits or lack thereof of this lens any further. As I have remarked in another thread on this board recently, there are incredibly variable definitions of 'sharp' on photography forums (this one included) and plenty of lenses end up getting praised as better performers than they really are, particularly in edges and corners. Of course this can work both ways - I have very high standards of performance and what's weak in my eyes may be fine in the eyes of another. The only way the OP can decide whether a lens will meet their needs is to look at full-size images taken on it themselves (or even better, rent it if they can.)

Dec 19, 2015 at 02:39 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

Aztatlan wrote:
You can make shifted panos regardless of how the lens performs on the extreme edges when shifted...

Depends on your definition of performs well. Unshifted, I agree, it's great. Even with a small amount of shift. But ramp it out to a 12mm shift and there is significant loss of resolution in the edges/corners - it certainly isn't an amazing performer in my eyes.

Anyway I am not going to debate the merits or lack thereof of this lens any further. As I have remarked in another thread on this board recently, there are incredibly variable definitions of 'sharp' on photography forums
...Show more

Loss of edge resolution of the image circle is a fact of life for all lenses. It's ingenuous to single out the 17 TSE, especially since it is a radically unique lens. Despite one's high standards, often there is only one tool to get the job done.

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:42 AM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

Perhaps I can see if I rent the 14-24, 17TSE and the two bodies and compare. I suppose a cheaper cost than switching systems and getting surprised/disappointed.

Admittedly, I have never used a tilt-shift but given they are standard lens for serious real estate and architectural photographers (and lots of landscape guys), it seems worthwhile to either learn the lens or obtain it.

I appreciate everyone's feedback

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:38 PM
architect7
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

Nikon hit a home run with the D810, a fine art high pixel camera with an amazing telephoto selection (unlike Sony) with acceptable buffer/processing and response for wildlife (unlike Canon 5Ds/R, or so I've heard). Excellent AF, quiet shutter, lightweight body, just a really great camera all around. I switched from Canon to Nikon for the 200-400mm f4 and stayed for the D810.

Dec 19, 2015 at 01:45 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

You have good advice on the lenses already, but I really think you would regret swapping your D810 for a 5DS unless your sole concern is having less than 1/5 greater linear resolution.

Dec 19, 2015 at 01:56 PM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

Gunzorro wrote:
Loss of edge resolution of the image circle is a fact of life for all lenses.

Of course. This goes without saying One would be remiss to fail to recognise that not all lenses are created equal in this regard, though. Some lenses are woeful performers on the edges; some offer a very respectable performance for that extreme part of the image circle. Just look at the Canon 16-35 f2.8 vs the 16-35 f4 - night and day in how these two lenses compare on the edges.

Dec 19, 2015 at 06:21 PM
DWOfPaul
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

I really wished Nikon had a good 17mm PC lens too. I have probably spent to much time time researching PC / TS lenses. The canon 17mm TS on a Sony A7RII would probably be my choice if I nedded a 17mm TS today. Canon sensors just do not have the dynamic range Sony / Nikon has gotten us used to.

Currently I am just going to hold off on taking the jump into PC / TS lens. If I really needed to get one I would probably pick up the Nikon 24mm PC.

If you have the 16-35 and filters already, I would consider adding the 14-24 not replacing the 16-35 with the 14-24. I did the reverse I had the 14-24 first, and then got the 16-35 due to it's smaller size, ability to take normal filters, VR, and it's bigger zoom range. The two lenses are quite different.

Dec 19, 2015 at 11:45 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

If you need wide lenses with movements, the Canon lenses are it- and that means either using a 5Ds R and only being able to raise shadows three stops instead of five, or using an A7-series camera.

Personally, I'd be interested in both- but one thing that would put me into the A7 camp would be upcoming support for Nikon -E lenses with adapters to Sony E mount, which would put Nikon's higher-performing 45/2.8 PC-E in range too, on the same platform.

Dec 20, 2015 at 03:33 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D810 vs. 5DS R vs. A7RII

I would want the more sophisticated flash system with the Nikon for interior photography. It saves a lot of time, is easy to use with multiple speedlights, and it is 100% accurate.

For tilt shift past 24mm one gets a wider field of view but at the expense of greater perspective distortion with background objects being reduced even more in size. Do you really want a house to look smaller in a picture?

With a tilt shift it is very easy to do 3 images with the shift and then combine the 3 images into a very wide angle panorama. A 45mm tilt shift works well and provides a better perspective for architectural subjects.

For real estate photography I would want a D610 with its 24MP file size. I cannot see a real advantage to having the D810 and having to work with its 36MP files.

Dec 20, 2015 at 03:35 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.