New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Moab, Arches and Canyonland in Dec

Abhinav Jain
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Moab, Arches and Canyonland in Dec

I will be based in Moab towards the end of December, primarily to see Arches and Canyonland. I will be there for 4 days.
Can folks suggest hikes that are doable in winter. Also locations to photograph in winter and time of the day (morning / afternoon etc). I will have a rental car and winter gear. I wont have camping equipment.

Do you recommend any other places besides Arches and Canyonland?

Dec 17, 2015 at 09:33 AM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Moab, Arches and Canyonland in Dec

If your in Moab, those are the big two.

Fisher towers is a little off the beaten path, but still close. Lots of hikes, just look at the NPS website, and get a map.

The Bret Edge gallery is worth a look also.

You could spend 4 months, and not do justice to the area. The national park service goes out and stacks up all this colored sand, into some pretty creative shapes, and then sells tickets to the tour bus companies, so the tourists can go have a look. Hard to go wrong in Moab.

Dec 17, 2015 at 05:43 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Moab, Arches and Canyonland in Dec

Zion NP, but that is quite drive from there. Bryce is real close to Zion.

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:02 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Moab, Arches and Canyonland in Dec

You can easily fill four days (and much more) driving around Moab. In addition to the two NPs, all of the roads into and out of town have great scenery, rock art, etc. If you rent an SUV, you can add many more scenic roads that don't require 4WD but offer additional photo ops. The visitor center can provide good suggestions for drives suitable for your vehicle and hikes appropriate for your skills. Corona Arch is a good hike and very popular. Morning Glory Arch (Negro Bill Canyon) is a fun hike, but crosses the stream multiple times, so don't get wet if the weather is cold. Same for Mill Creek. I enjoy the waterfall near Ken's Lake where it is piped through the "mountain". Drive the scenic road through the LaSals, too. Lots of rock art around town that doesn't require hiking, you drive right to the sites.

Dec 20, 2015 at 08:45 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Moab, Arches and Canyonland in Dec

I'm not wildly familiar with Arches or Canyonlands, so can't offer specific advice. Besides, where's the fun in walking up to someone else's 'favorite' location to take a 'me too' shot? Arches is small enough that you can drive and hike around in the middle of the day and scout out locations to shoot in the pretty morning and evening light. Get out and about and enjoy the scenery and make interesting photos.

With only 4 days there's no need to leave the area in search of more. If you do get a 'bug' to drive a little, consider Goblin Valley State Park, less than 2 hours away, and adjacent slot canyons such as Little Wild Horse, etc. which make for a nice half-day hike. http://www.americansouthwest.net/slot_canyons/san_rafael_swell/index.html

Edited on Dec 21, 2015 at 05:07 PM · View previous versions

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:04 PM
Abhinav Jain
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Moab, Arches and Canyonland in Dec

Thanks guys for your suggestions. Always a very helpful forum.

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:26 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Moab, Arches and Canyonland in Dec

I've done Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. Two days in Moab, want to return for 5 nights or so. I rode it on a Harley, hiking would be cool as hell too. Awesome. Have fun

http://www.pbase.com/flatlandphoto/image/161220648.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/flatlandphoto/image/161220718.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/flatlandphoto/image/161220728.jpg

Dec 27, 2015 at 09:51 PM
travelair
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Moab, Arches and Canyonland in Dec

I'm no expert on the region, but had a great time with the family based out of Moab two summers back.

Put Dead Horse State Park on the list, if only for a sunset. Also one of the less difficult areas to try your hand at mountain biking. The Moab area has a well earned reputation for world class mountain biking, but most areas are well above beginner level.

Much to see in Arches, even without much work. If you have a few hours, I can heartily recommend the Devils Garden Loop, with the Dark Angel spur for some extra, if desired. Most hike it CW, although we went CCW.

Canyonlands is broken up into three sectors. Most only see the north Islands in the Sky area. While there was certainly plenty to see, we wanted an experience a little more off of the beaten path, and swung around to the Needles section. Distances are large out there, it was over an hour down to Needles from Moab. Can recommend the Chesler Park loop down there, which is an 11 mile loop. Note: this is serious billy goat terrain. Expect this to be a 5-6+ hour hike. Even in summer, we only saw a few people, once we made it out to the loop proper. Most just hike into the overlook, turn around, and head back. For certain, check in with the ranger station before taking any long hike out there. The terrain can be challenging, and visually disorientating.

Finally, Corona Arch, on BLM land, just off of 279, outside of the North end of Moab. Spetacular and somewhat overlooked, as not NPS land.

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:50 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.