New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Worries about the iOptron SkyTracker

Evangelos Makris
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Worries about the iOptron SkyTracker

Hello from Greece,

I am ready to pull the trigger on the iOptron SkyTracker to use for nightscapes photography.
I almost always shoot with my Canon 6d and Rokinon 14mm, but some times i use a longer FL like 50mm.

After tons of searching online, i rejected the Vixen polarie as it is more expensive and it needs to polar align before mounting the DSLR.
Also i rejected the Skywatcher Star Adventurer (with the wedge) as it is more bulky and heavy than i want (i hike to locations) and i don't need its full features for my photography needs.

So i am down to one option, the iOptron SkyTracker but i am a little intimidated by the problems some users have with it.
The one issue that seems to be a significant problem is that the thumb screws do not apply enough tension to hold it stable.

Should i be so much worried about these issues? Or am i just suffering with paralysis by analysis?

Thanks in advance for your time,
Evangelos

Dec 17, 2015 at 05:45 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Worries about the iOptron SkyTracker

That's the main complaint about wide angle imaging with the Ioptron, IF there is one. Just buy it and you should be fine with wide angle stuff.
If you have an issue, inspect the screws and where they touch to see if they need some filing or clean up.
Always confirm alignment after you mount, point, and focus your camera.
The Polarie is more expensive. Despite the mount, Ive never had to pull my camera off and realign.

David

Dec 17, 2015 at 08:00 AM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Worries about the iOptron SkyTracker

Thank you David,

i guess i should not be so much worried.

Kind regards,
Evangelos

Dec 19, 2015 at 03:23 PM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Worries about the iOptron SkyTracker

I'm pretty much with David.........

1. You DO have to polar align it, and set the offset for your latitude before you use it. It comes with the polar scope (which includes the offset aiming rings in the viewfinder). There is a free download app which works great on your Iphone or android phone.

2. The "sliding around" problem is actually easy to resolve. put some paint on the end of the thumbscrew and install the camera base, then take it off. You will have two dots on the large metal mounting plate. Take a small triangle file and file a notch where the two dots are, just deep enough for the ends of the thumbscrews. This will give them a bearing surface that will lock them in place as the unit rotates. It just takes a few minutes.

3. I try to stay under 85mm lenses when using it, normally shooting with my 20 or 28 on my D810.

4. For me, the polar alignment is the toughest part. I usually "get close," then mount the camera and then finish the polar alignment. It's not hard to do, its just that your camera/ballhead/tripod/skytracker make up into a very movement sensitive combination. DO NOT EVER TOUCH IT AFTER YOU START THE SEQUENCE.

I have really enjoyed mine, and often set it to run while I do stills and other combinations with my second body.

Gene

Dec 19, 2015 at 09:03 PM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Worries about the iOptron SkyTracker

Thanks so much Gene!

You offered some really valuable information about the tracker.

Kind regards from Greece,
Evangelos

Dec 20, 2015 at 09:41 AM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Worries about the iOptron SkyTracker

Some days ago i finally got the iOptron skytracker, and i am waiting for the clouds to get out of the way, so that i can test it.

However, there were two issues with my item:

1. The LED that lights up the polar scope was too dim, and after getting instructions from iOptron, i changed the LED's resistor with a 3.9 kΩ one and now it is fine.

2. The rotational base of my Skytracker (for the azimuth control) added serious flex to the unit, even when it was tightly screwed.
I tried many options like removing the white teflon, or removing 1 or 2 of the washers (spacers) inside, cleaning the surfaces from artifacts, but to no avail.

If i completely removed the washers and screw the base tight, then it does not rotate at all.
If i don't screw it completely tight, then there is flexure which is prominent when i add the camera on top.

To solve this problem, i ordered a Feisol PB 70 panning base that i will add to the tracker to use for azimuth control.
This is frustrating due to the added cost and weight, but i got no serious help from iOptron on this one, and it is not easy to ship back to USA from Greece.

These is my experience so far with the tracker, i hope someone finds it useful.

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:36 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Worries about the iOptron SkyTracker

For polar alignment, remember that even an approximate alignment is good enough for most wide angle photography if you are staying with a 24mm or wider lens, and 5 minute or less exposures. I often just align the altitude with setting the angle for your latitude on the altitude scale, and then leveling the base. Using a leveling base on your tripod is an ideal way to level the tracker, but you also can get a level plate with a bubble level that mounts under the tracker base to use as a good indicator, and then just use the tripod legs to adjust for level. For setting the azimuth, you can use a compass. Do not bother with the useless compass on the tracker, but rather use an external compass, and use the straight edge of tilt area of the tracker as a reference. There is some steel in the tracker that will affect the compass, so use some cardboard or plastic that has square corners on it to keep the compass 6 or more inches away, but still aligned. Watch out for any other magnetic objects nearby, that might mess up the compass, including nearby cars if you are shooting near to any. And be sure to adjust your compass to properly allow for your local magnetic deviation.

If you do want to use a more accurate polar alignment, the above approximate alignment is a great starting point. It is often hard to use the polar scope and get Polaris situated in the view of the scope, and this should usually get it in the field of view. For wide shots like with your 14mm lens, approximate alignment is usually fine. Just check your first long exposure by magnifying the image and seeing if you have noticeable star elongation. Be sure to check several areas of the image, because the amount of elongation depends on what direction you are pointed. For longer focal length shots, alignment obviously becomes more important.

I am not sure how tightly lasers are regulated over your way, but I have adapted a green laser pointer intended for astro uses to work in the larger hole where the polar scope normally mounts. The beam from that pointed to Polaris can give a very fast approximate polar alignment if it is dark enough to see the beam well. Keep your laser pointer warm between uses, because green lasers fade away as they get cold.

For the pivot base, I adjusted the washers under the little screw until I got a smooth rotation with no significant wobble. Then tightening the locking screw makes it all work fine. I used special small shim washers, but you can also do it by adding layers of thin tape to the face of one of the washers. If one washer is too much for your tracker, find a thinner one somewhere, and then shim it with layers of thin tape as needed.

For the locking screw of the base, I did replace it with a larger diameter knob with the right metric threads but that was tricky to find. You likely should be fine with the original knob there, but if you want to get something, look for a major parts supplier that might stock that kind of thing. For those in the US, or if you want to try ordering from here, a company called McMaster-Carr is where I get all that kind of weird or unusual mechanical stuff. The thumb screw knob for the locking base that I used was stainless, and needs to have a shaft projecting around 20 mm, with 5mm metric threads.

For the equatorial axis attachment of the plate on to the steel rotation hub, I would for sure not try to put a flat on it. The location you need to use will slowly change all the way around as you continue to use your tracker, and you want to be able to reposition the plate to get your ball head in to the right location. I did eventually replace my smaller locking knobs with larger diameter ones, but was working OK even before I did that. Mount your ball head on the tracker plate and then when you are ready to use things, put the plate and ball head oriented so that the ball head slot is kind of pointing upward. Then with your camera on, you should be able to aim your camera to what you want, but as you do, keep the camera kind of centered above the plate as best as you can by repositioning the plate. Ideally, your camera kind of is in balance at that location, and you need almost no clamping from the two screws. After you shoot a sequence, or when you re aim to a new subject, reposition the ball head and or the plate to keep the camera on the top near balance. That should allow you to work fine with the two locking screws that come with the tracker plate. If you do want to replace the two thumb screws, they need about 12mm of thread length projecting, and have 4mm metric threads. The knob size I used was about 16mm diameter, which still cleared the body of the tracker OK.

Slight wobbles at the rotation basewill not normally be an issue. The combination of the tracker and the camera end up being off center a bit in one direction or the other, and the tracking rotation will not typically rotate the load through the balance point during any given exposure. So the total load will tip one way, and be supported well enough to give a sharp tracked image. If you have significant wind that could be a problem, but your whole tripod is likely not rigid enough for wind issues anyway. And obviously, you need to be using a remote release for the camera, and not be touching it in any way at the start of the exposure or during.

I hope you have great success with the iOptron tracker. I sure do like mine a lot.

Jan 24, 2016 at 02:59 PM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Worries about the iOptron SkyTracker

Roland, thanks so much for your contribution!

My set up:

Induro CF tripod+Sunwayfoto leveling base+Feisol panning base+Skytracker+Sirui k-30x ballhead+Canon 6d+Samyang 14mm

I have a background in CCD astrophotography with SCT telescopes and i know that flexure and torque is a great issue when trying to image.
However, i hope that when i add the Feisol PB 70, the set up will be more rigid.

I have not tried using thin tape on the washer(s) but i will now, after your suggestion.
Apart from that, my ST has 3 screws for securing the plate (with the ballhead) on the ST main body.

I don't really expect to see trailing with the ST and the 14mm, but i don't want to risk it, as i am now getting assignments for nightscapes photography.

Also, i thought of using my astronomy green laser to point to Polaris, through the hole for eyeball alignment, next to the polar scope of the ST, just to get close enough, and then refine my alignment through the polar scope.

Terence Dickinson shared a tip for quick but accurate alignment of the ST (or any other tracker):

"Using the Polaris offset ring, I was able to quickly align the tracker with enough accuracy for 6-minute exposures with a 35mm lens.
The Polaris offset technique I use is to place Polaris on the 40′ reticle ring at the same angle that Kochab, the brightest star in the Little Dipper’s handle, is in the naked-eye sky. With practice, this can be done with both eyes open, one looking at the real sky, the other through the polar scope."

Kind regards,
Evangelos

PS. Sorry for my English

Jan 24, 2016 at 04:01 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Worries about the iOptron SkyTracker

Great prep work. Eager for some images.
The base stability is the Ioptrons's main weakness but for wide angle imaging dedicated people seem to get it worked out.

Jan 24, 2016 at 05:12 PM
pizdets17
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Worries about the iOptron SkyTracker

mine is just fine. Just a thought, might be able to apply some lock-tite (the blue stuff) to those little knobs, I just check mine before every shoot. Used the 70-200 2.8 II canon with a 5d3 for a 4 minute exposure with no issues and the tripod was in the snow too

Jan 24, 2016 at 06:13 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.