New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Dallas Rock

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dallas Rock

I'm gonna apologize for giving you guys more of a snapshot, but I still think this rock formation was just too cool not to share. This is another from South Coyote Buttes.

I named this Dallas Rock for our guide (Dallas, go figure!) because apparently most guides don't even notice it and just pass right by! Even though it's super interesting you really have to be at the right angle to notice it from a distance.

Cheers!

Jeff

Dec 16, 2015 at 09:07 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dallas Rock

I think that is a wicked cool rock formation, and I think I would have been stuck there for a while.

Don't take this the wrong way...but the things my eye are drawn to..the distortion in the upper left, lower right and the blurryness of the scrub brush on the right...

EXIF says the 11-24 @ f/11, 1/80. Is the stuff I am seeing the result of handheld?

I think it could make for another good B&W like your slot canyon images.

Dec 16, 2015 at 09:24 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dallas Rock

Definitely tough to decide what to spend your time on. You want to give everything enough attention but you want to see it all!

Thanks for the feedback! Would an added vignette minimize the distractions? This is another HDR shot, so I was getting acrobatic with the tripod here. The distortion can be remedied some with lens correction, but it leaves things a little tight up top. I could probably PS in some room if need be.

I gave a quick look at B&W and it might work, just not sure it has the same appeal as the color (blasphemy!) in this situation.

Cheers!

Jeff

Dec 16, 2015 at 09:45 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dallas Rock

Made a few changes that hopefully address the distractions some.

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:15 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dallas Rock

Very interesting rock formation. That's the sort of thing it would be good to shoot in sections with a long lens and assemble the sections into a very high resolution final image. Of course, if you bracket for exposure and focus for HDR and image stacking, too....

Dec 17, 2015 at 03:47 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dallas Rock

I took a very quick stab at this. I think this is a great find Jeff. Hard to believe folks would walk right past this.

I have very limited editing abilities right now and this is from my crap monitor so it is most likely over cooked.
The main things I wanted to point out is this.

I think you have too much room on the bottom and not enough up top.
I tried to generically illustrate this but it turned into a major hack job in the sky area.

Overall I think you can pump things up a little to give it some punch. Especially on the "Rock Star". (get it? )

Agree with Travis on the funky top left and bottom right distortion.
A possible solution, (which I can't do right now) is to push and pull not with Vignette but rather D&B. Burn the bad areas and Dodge the good areas you want the viewer to be drawn to.

Remove the vignette if possible at least enough so that it's not noticeable. Especially in the blue sky area.

Bottom line is... Don't give up on this one Jeff. It's a great find and you will discover just the right touch to help it be the image you are hoping for.

Dave

Very rough edit

Dec 17, 2015 at 09:29 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dallas Rock

Thanks for the feedback, Dave!

This was a difficult rock to shoot properly on the tripod while getting the most interesting portion of rock camera facing and still getting most everything in frame. I rushed myself a bit on the comp for this one and I'm paying the piper now.

Looking back at it now I don't care for the vignette I added at all. This one is not quite there yet, and I'm not sure if it ever will be, but the rock is too cool not to post.

Cheers!

Jeff

Dec 17, 2015 at 09:33 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dallas Rock

That is really a cool rock formation, one of the best features I have seen from Coyote Buttes. I love the texture and color. I would love to see this with golden light and maybe some sky drama.

The softness of the upper part of the rock is probably the field curvature issue I have mentioned about UWA lenses. I would have used live view focus with that area as a target. Probably everything else would have been within DOF.

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:25 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dallas Rock

ben egbert wrote:
That is really a cool rock formation, one of the best features I have seen from Coyote Buttes. I love the texture and color. I would love to see this with golden light and maybe some sky drama.

The softness of the upper part of the rock is probably the field curvature issue I have mentioned about UWA lenses. I would have used live view focus with that area as a target. Probably everything else would have been within DOF.

Thanks Ben! Ugh... yeah the tradeoff when you're merely a tourist.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make use of sunrise/sunset at all on this tour. The next time we're out there we are going to spend a lot more time in Page and that area and avoid spots like Sedona. Don't get me wrong, Sedona is *gorgeous*, but the sights around Page and Utah trump it IMO.

+1 @ field curvature at the top.

Thanks for the comments, Ben!

Jeff

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:41 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dallas Rock

I have considered an overnight guided trip there. I have heard however that it is very crowded.

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:52 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dallas Rock

ben egbert wrote:
I have considered an overnight guided trip there. I have heard however that it is very crowded.

Which part? In South we were there the entire day and only encountered one other group of 5-6.

I would highly recommend it and Paria Outfitters are GREAT!

Just make sure you get your permit stuff situated beforehand.

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:54 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dallas Rock

Thanks for the link.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:23 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dallas Rock

ben egbert wrote:
Thanks for the link.

You got it, bud! Feel free to PM me if you've got any specific questions.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:31 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.