New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · San Francisco - Last minute crash Program

msoomro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · San Francisco - Last minute crash Program

Heading to SF for 3 days. Mostly a family time. I can only claim a few hours for myself for photography so I have to be VERY focused - no scouting time :-( . Looking for advice on

1. Some of best vantage points in that area for Landscapes.

2. Good spots for Golden Gate Bridge. I wish to capture it from one of the higher points as well as from down below. I don't know the area so some what detailed advice would be very helpful

I am driving from and back to Seattle. Any recommended coastal locations? - preferably on the CA side?

Thanks

Dec 16, 2015 at 03:46 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · San Francisco - Last minute crash Program

With only a few hours your options will be limited. If you are looking for a higher perspective on the bridge, cross it to the north toward Sausalito, but head up Conzelman Road into the Marin Headlands. A short distance uphill where the road curves right you'll see some structures. Try to stop here and walk out toward the bridge for a great view of the bridge and the city. You can also drive higher up this road for more views.

It is very hard to answer your "landscapes" question, since this is such a target rich environment.

Dan

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:17 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · San Francisco - Last minute crash Program

Thanks gdanmitchell. And yes i realize 'landscape' was quite a shotgun approach.

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:07 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · San Francisco - Last minute crash Program

msoomro wrote:
I am driving from and back to Seattle. Any recommended coastal locations? - preferably on the CA side?

Thanks

Have you been to Muir Woods Natl Park or Redwood Natl Park? The former is about 45 minutes drive outside SF. Beautiful and interesting giant redwood trees. A very manageable park that you could be in and out in a few hours. It will be more frequently visited because it is right outside SF, whereas Redwood Natl Park will be a bit more quiet and possibly more picturesque.

You're probably not going to find a whole lot of coastal sightseeing north of SF. It's not quite like Big Sur (between SF and San Simeon). You're not as close to the water and the landscape is a lot flatter.

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:28 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · San Francisco - Last minute crash Program

@mdude85 No i have not been there. Looks like a good option to explore within reasonable time.

Appreciate heads up on the coastal..

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:31 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · San Francisco - Last minute crash Program

Going to Muir Woods is a fine thing if you have time. Do go VERY early in the morning. I usually like to arrive around dawn, well before the park actually opens. It is tremendously (over-) popular and it gets very crowded even a bit later in the day. A minimal visit will probably take you about three hours, start to finish, from San Francisco.

You could combine this with your visit to the GG Bridge.

Dec 18, 2015 at 06:03 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · San Francisco - Last minute crash Program

Driving south from Seattle if you leave I-5 and go west to the 101 and 1, you will be able to run along the coast. While it's not Big Sur, there is plenty of potential. The 101 is generally (all? It's been years since I've been up that way.) divided highway. The 1 is the coastal route and is not high speed driving. There are quite a few national and state parks along those routes to choose from and plenty of scenery. May be too slow for the time you want to make. Possibilities including going west from I-5 in southern Oregon to Crescent City and south but that cuts off the section with Mount Shasta, Shasta Lake. You can go west from Redding via Weaverville to the Humbolt Bay area and then south.

The 1 can be very slow, twisty, the 101 follows the Russian River area towards the south and then goes through or close to wine country as well as heavy forested areas. The 5 is comparatively fast and flat for the most part after getting south of Redding. Check things like Point Reyes, Mendocino, Fort Ross. There are also redwood based parks south of San Francisco, like Big Basin.

For the GG brdige, on the south end, Fort Point is a popular viewing site to the east side and Baker Beach on the west side.

Dec 19, 2015 at 01:56 PM
fsphoto

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · San Francisco - Last minute crash Program

Photo Secrets San Francisco

Dec 23, 2015 at 07:07 PM
rossi3218

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · San Francisco - Last minute crash Program

Don't forget to head to Ft Point it's right under the gg bridge and it's free to get in...

Dec 28, 2015 at 04:49 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.