Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Skating Photos - Could use critique.

RobertBurnsII
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Skating Photos - Could use critique.

Hey all. I posted a few weeks back, and got some pointed critiques on my technique. Since then, I upgraded my gear a bit and am mostly shooting with the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 i now. These photos were taken with the Tamron 16-300 (sold it last week), and the 50mm 1.8 ii, however. Where can I improve? Any areas with my technique? Have been concentrated hard on keeping ISO low and shooting at wider apertures.

© RobertBurnsII 2015

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:51 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Skating Photos - Could use critique.

A couple suggestions that I hope you don't take the wrong way. Fewer images make it easier for us to comment on and a slightly smaller size so the image can be viewed without scrolling.
helps.

The second image does not appear to have anything in focus. The last is the best in this regard. But it has some blue fringing around the legs that must be some artifact or processing.

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:55 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Skating Photos - Could use critique.

Please post much smaller!
I would suggest 800 pix high, maybe 1000.
Seems like a fun exercise.
A challenge to get sharp focus on the face despite having some fast shutter speeds. Is it the autofocus is too slow? Your new lens will answer that. Might have to prefocus a bit for the face, do a burst to find the sharpest capture.
As implied, I'd try to get facial expression, adequate lighting on the face. A bit of blur of the board may or may not come with the necessary shutter speed on the face, but adds to the action/sense of motion.
1 and 3 have best facial expression, marred by softness.
3 has an interesting position and sense of trying to balance is conveyed. Wish his fingers werent cut off.

My thoughts.
Scott
2 is too OOF

Dec 16, 2015 at 08:11 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Skating Photos - Could use critique.

Big +1 @ a lot at what has been said.

Scott has some very good tips for catching action shots.

You might also consider investing in a flash if you'd like to freeze action more without sacrificing shutter or ISO. Yongnuo (http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-560-Speedlight-Flash-Nikon/dp/B0079M711S) makes a really solid, affordable flash.

Cheers,

Jeff

Dec 16, 2015 at 08:36 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Skating Photos - Could use critique.

Are these really ISO 100? That last image looks really grainy / noisy. At any rate, I wouldn't obsess about ISO (not sure what camera you were using). I also wouldn't be shooting moving objects with a 50 1.8 at 1.8. Not only is it soft that wide open, your depth of field will kill the picture if you slightly miss focus (for example, 1 appears to be focused on his shirt and his face is a little soft)

If you want to get a little motion blur you might want to try panning with a little second curtain flash to give your subject some pop. If you feel like it, that is.

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:15 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Skating Photos - Could use critique.

All these are shot from the same perspective with similar framing, try shooting from lower down, farther away with a telephoto, close up with a wide angle, make the skater a small part of an overall composition, try an extreme close up, etc. You will have a lot more options at a skatepark or a more photogenic street spot. Also pay attention to your backgrounds, a clean background will really make your subjects stand out. Agree with shooting at higher ISO/shutter speed and stopped down some. Motion blur should be a conscious choice that helps you tell the story.

Cheers,
Heron

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:23 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Skating Photos - Could use critique.

I'll add.
Watch your verticals and make then true in PP.
Also, do not worry about noise and increased ISO, practice getting and with fast enough shutter speeds to stop action like you did with the f1.8 1/1250. However, f1.8 will often produce too narrow a dof. F2.8 should help. You'll find the 24-70 faster Af than your other two lenses. So accept the noise if it means getting a proper in focus shot. Later you can play with panning and accept non-fiction motion blur.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:44 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Skating Photos - Could use critique.

+1 @ more ISO

Shooting WO can be helpful for subject isolation ... BUT, many lenses are really not that good when shot wide open, i.e. soft / CA in addition to missed focus / too shallow DOF for subject and are a bit overzealous in their actual apeture across the frame (i.e. vignetting). Some really good glass is designed to perform superbly at WO, but that is also a matter of you get what you pay for in that such superb WO performers warrant superb $$$ as well.

You should easily be fine up till ISO 800 @ three stops above ISO 100, which gives you two stops in aperture / DOF + one stop in additional shutter speed (or any combination thereof). And, your aperture / vignetting tends to hold more true across the frame once you are stopped down a stop or more from WO. Certainly ISO 400 will hold up well @ 1-1/3 stop aperture + 2/3 stop shutter gain if 800 bothers you.

Dec 23, 2015 at 01:01 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Skating Photos - Could use critique.

You definitely are on the right path. I have been blessed with thousands of skateboard images (Grandson) and have ended using these settings: Shutter mode; Auto white balance; ISO 400 (Sometimes auto ISO); Canon 600 flash set on High speed (If lighting is decent you want need); AF drive on high; Hand held / sometimes a monopod. Hope this helps. Jim

Dec 23, 2015 at 01:47 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.