3       end

Archive 2015 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

Mar73
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

friscoron wrote:
Thanks, everyone!

Mitchel, always like hearing which is the faves, so thanks for mentioning No. 20.

Marty, glad I can be of help! I was actually assigned to do an article for Shutterbug Magazine to write and share pics on how to shoot dance performances. I put that off for awhile, but maybe need to get it done.

I took a quick look and found what I believe is the same maker of the muzzle I bought four or five years ago. Just $149, I think. I don't use the part that goes over the lens, just the part that goes
...Show more

Thanks for the link. It's on my wish list.

Also, I would be one of the first to buy the magazine if you write the article!

Dec 17, 2015 at 02:29 PM
photogwannabe

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

Spectacular!

Dec 17, 2015 at 03:20 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

Mar73 wrote:
Thanks for the link. It's on my wish list.

Also, I would be one of the first to buy the magazine if you write the article!

The tough part in justifying that muzzle is that you only use it once or twice a year.

I'll definitely let you know if I do the article.

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:49 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

photogwannabe wrote:
Spectacular!

Thanks!

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:49 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

Great series Ron, I see you had trouble culling your images down to 30, well I had a lot of trouble narrowing down my favorites. Here's the best I could do:
18,19,20,23,24,26 PLUS Loved the shots of the young kids, the gleem in their eyes, Great!!!

Looking forward to that Shutterbug article, please let us know when that gets published

Nina's dance company, just had their "Preview" week, where they let the parents come in see what they've been working on, I'm always amazed how since it's only December and the recital isn't till June, how they can do a certain piece, then just stand around with the music going, then they'll do another piece, etc. It's funny when Nina says, yea, we have learned that piece yet. Amazing how in the end it all comes together

Thanks again for posting and again, going into some of the details, behind the shots
Thanks, Bob

Dec 18, 2015 at 02:48 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

I love the set! Typical great Ron work!

I presume that you used the existing stage lights?

What lens did you use?

What kind of settings were used for the leaps?

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2015 at 06:04 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

Wow; some fantastic captures.

Dec 18, 2015 at 06:59 PM
h317
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

Great shots, Ron!

Dec 18, 2015 at 08:41 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

These are very well done amigo.

Dec 18, 2015 at 09:59 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

BobnJake wrote:
Great series Ron, I see you had trouble culling your images down to 30, well I had a lot of trouble narrowing down my favorites. Here's the best I could do:
18,19,20,23,24,26 PLUS Loved the shots of the young kids, the gleem in their eyes, Great!!!

Looking forward to that Shutterbug article, please let us know when that gets published

Nina's dance company, just had their "Preview" week, where they let the parents come in see what they've been working on, I'm always amazed how since it's only December and the recital isn't till June, how they can do a certain piece, then
...Show more

Thanks, Bob!

Dec 19, 2015 at 09:15 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

Herb wrote:
I love the set! Typical great Ron work!

I presume that you used the existing stage lights?

What lens did you use?

What kind of settings were used for the leaps?

Thanks!

Thanks, Herb! Yes, always have to use stage lighting during performances. For most of this, I shot with my 70-200 from the back of the house direct center. Some of these (from the dress rehearsal), I shot from the side of the stage using my 24-70 lens.

As for my settings for leaps, it's really driven by the stage lighting. It varies from scene to scene. In No. 20, I had my best stage lighting so my settings were 1/320, f/2.8 (it's always wide open), and ISO 2500. In 23, stage lighting down a bit, and I'm at 1/250 and ISO 3200. In 27, same as 23. And 30, I'm actually up to 1/400 at ISO 2500. I start feeling pretty good when I hit 1/400, anything below that, I really have to catch the peak of the movement not to have movement blur.

Ron

Dec 19, 2015 at 09:37 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

Thanks, Lyle, h317 and Evan!

Dec 19, 2015 at 09:38 AM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

What a beautiful set, I really like it.

Marcelo

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:16 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

Great shots, as always, Ron! My favorites are the dancing shots, with 7 & 20 standing out the most.

Dec 21, 2015 at 09:59 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

Thanks, guys! 20's getting a lot of love, I like that!

Dec 21, 2015 at 02:04 PM
southwoodlaker
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

Ron, Just saw this set, they are all amazing shots! perfect exposure, precise focus and very right moment. Congratulations. I think your stage photography reached very high level. Just wondering what position you are shooting these from and what the focal length you used for the most of the shots?

Dec 22, 2015 at 08:40 AM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

Fantastic set, love the colors and sharp images.

Marcelo

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:40 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

Lightsearcher wrote:
Fantastic set, love the colors and sharp images.

Marcelo

Thanks, Marcelo!

Dec 22, 2015 at 08:34 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

southwoodlaker wrote:
Ron, Just saw this set, they are all amazing shots! perfect exposure, precise focus and very right moment. Congratulations. I think your stage photography reached very high level. Just wondering what position you are shooting these from and what the focal length you used for the most of the shots?

Thanks! You'll see shots coming from two different angles, two vastly different lenses. During the dress rehearsal, I sat up almost right on the stage, just off to the side. So I shot with a 24-70 lens and shot pretty wide a lot.

The rest of the shots were from live performances, so I'm sitting at the back of the house almost directly center. It's not a huge theatre, so I'm not that far back. I shoot with my 70-200 from there. At 70mm, I almost can get the whole stage in the shot. At 200mm, I can zoom in pretty much on anyone wherever they are on stage. Let me know if that makes any sense and answers your questions.

Dec 22, 2015 at 08:40 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker

Ron my friend you have done it once more, simply outstanding. You get a lot of excellent comments and deserved praise. Myself having done a lot of live action sports I have to say your sense of timing is incredible. Shooting a couple of people attacking a ball is hard enough but try that with 10+ people and get their movements and in particular their eyes in sync is something special. So much as it pains me to say, , you are a very special guy. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and the family.

Dave

Dec 22, 2015 at 08:57 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.