New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · printer brand and paper

beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · printer brand and paper

When you purchase a printer of brand X, is it important to use paper of brand X as well, or is paper from brand Y,Z,etc just as usable in a brand X printer? In other words, to what extent is paper from brand X optimized for their own printers?

I have an Epson printer and have used Canon paper....is this a no-no?

Sorry if this is a silly question,
keith

Dec 14, 2015 at 08:53 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · printer brand and paper

You can use whatever paper you want with proper color management. Neither Canon nor Epson are "paper manufacturers" nor do they coat inkjet papers. Canned manufacturer profiles can vary in quality. A custom ICC printer profile for a particular paper can often exceed the quality of the canned profile.

I do a lot of fine art printing for artists and photographers offering mostly higher quality fine art papers and oba-free canvas on Epson 9900 and 9890 printers. I have hardly any "Epson" branded papers. It's all about the profiles and printer settings!

ken
www.carmelfineartprinting.com

Dec 14, 2015 at 09:46 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · printer brand and paper

What Ken said.

If you get an Epson that is considered Prosumer (by Epson), most 3rd party paper mfgrs will eventually generate custom ICC profiles for it which you use during the softproof/printing phase.

If you get one of those 4color fax/scanner/printer low-end devices, then there wont be 3rd party profiles (although you *may* be able to sorta hobble along w/ choosing a similar Epson paper).

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:19 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · printer brand and paper

beanpkk wrote:

I have an Epson printer and have used Canon paper....is this a no-no?

keith

The only 'no no' is this part of the question. If you use papers from paper manufacturers instead of printer manufacturer branded papers, then they will supply ICC profiles for the paper and for a wide range of dedicated photo printers. If you use Canon branded papers on an Epson printer, the you end up with a less than ideal color management situation, unless you make (or have made for you) custom profiles.

That said, resin coated (RC) lustre papers from anywhere are generally interchangeable. For the most part they have the same high OBA white point, and many must be sourced from the same paper manufactures.

I use Canon Coated Matte 170 gsm and Canon Satin 170 gsm papers on Epson printers for poster prints, but I do create custom profiles for them.

Brian A

Dec 14, 2015 at 08:14 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · printer brand and paper

OK. Thanks all. I do manage the profiles so there shouldn't be a problem.

keith

Dec 15, 2015 at 07:14 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.