New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Through the Pass

Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Through the Pass

I love that backstory...and she will love the photo. great gift idea.

Dec 14, 2015 at 01:09 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Through the Pass

Travis Rhoads wrote:
I love that backstory...and she will love the photo. great gift idea.

Thanks Travis - considering she claims to not have one creative bone in her body I think she will be happily surprised to see this. I made certain the frame I chose would stand out more than the others in her office so her picture will be the attention grabber!

Dec 14, 2015 at 01:14 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Through the Pass

my wife is in much the same boat, she is not a creative...she loves her Canon S110...but we have one shot she took with my camera when my daughter was about 2 weeks old that remains as one of my all time favorites...

Dec 14, 2015 at 01:16 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Through the Pass

Hey Travis, we need to encourage some of the landscapers here to go post their best three at the annual best three image thread at the landscape forum.

Camperjim, Travis and I have ours up and there are some really great landscapes there.

Dec 14, 2015 at 01:41 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Through the Pass

Ben, I would encourage anyone who wants to see great work...to go see that thread...it is amazing the images that come from the contributors to FM...yeah, I put mine up there, but they pale in comparison...it is a great thread, one I look forward to every year.

Dec 14, 2015 at 01:51 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Through the Pass

Travis Rhoads wrote:
Ben, I would encourage anyone who wants to see great work...to go see that thread...it is amazing the images that come from the contributors to FM...yeah, I put mine up there, but they pale in comparison...it is a great thread, one I look forward to every year.

Goes for me too.

Dec 14, 2015 at 01:54 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Through the Pass

beavens wrote:
My wife is not a photographer in the least, but we both wanted her there so I set her up with the 7DII + 24-70 on P mode and my backup tripod. She had a blast!!! Snapped at least 300 shots during the time we were there. I feel slightly like a jerk because she was super exited to see how they turned out on the computer and I've been having to be deceitful by telling her that we'll "get to it soon". The thing is I've already loaded em up, culled and processed, had one printed and it's currently
...Show more

^^^^
THAT my friend is very very nice! She is going to love it! Kudos for the creative gift idea!

I got my wife a new pressure cooker and a smart TV for the bed room.
Something tells me you are going to be in "better shape" than I will be.

Dave

Dec 14, 2015 at 03:21 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Through the Pass

ben egbert wrote:
Hey Travis, we need to encourage some of the landscapers here to go post their best three at the annual best three image thread at the landscape forum.

Camperjim, Travis and I have ours up and there are some really great landscapes there.

Umm.... You and Travis ARE the landscapers in here.

Now I gotta go find this thread and drool a little.

Dave

Dec 14, 2015 at 03:23 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Through the Pass

Updated with some suggestions, version 2.

Dec 14, 2015 at 04:29 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Through the Pass

lighthound wrote:
Umm.... You and Travis ARE the landscapers in here.

Now I gotta go find this thread and drool a little.

Dave

This image sure qualifies and so do some of yours and others on this board. As I go through the best three thread I find a mixed bag. Some are less interesting than others but are very well made. Some are of subjects I just don't care for, like sand dunes. Nothing wrong with them, just personal taste. I am not a fan of B&W and really don't know good BW processing when I see it, but if I like the comp and subject I will give is a like.

Some are probably over the top (I suspect mine are too), but I will like them too as well as those I think underprocessed.

The point is, the normal feature of the week (weekly posts) is the cream of the cream and out of my league. But this best three post is a chance for the rest of us to post. If your image is not perfect, it will get smashed in the normal landscape forum posting, but there normally is no comment on this thread, just like or nothing. I wish there was a forum like that. If I want critique, I come here.

Edited on Dec 14, 2015 at 04:48 PM · View previous versions

Dec 14, 2015 at 04:36 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Through the Pass

I like it! Now the FG lines do their job and pull the eyes into the frame and over to the pass.

I see you did have some details available in the deep shadows as well.

Nice!

Dave

Dec 14, 2015 at 04:39 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Through the Pass

ben egbert wrote:
This image sure qualifies and so do some of yours and others on this borad. As I go through them I find a mixed bag. Some are less interesting than others but are very well made. Some are of subjects I just don't care for, like sand dunes. Nothing wrong with them, just personal taste. I am not a fan of B&W and really don't know good processing when I see it, but if I like the comp and subject I will give is a like.

Some are probably over the top (I suspect mine are too), but I will
...Show more

+1 @ this image qualifies as well as a few other recent shots posted here from Jeff and others.

I looked through that thread and it just amazes me to see some of the work folks have achieved this year. Lots of eye candy to enjoy and to be inspired by. I'm too skeered to post any of my shots in there. I don't want to ruin a good thing.

Dave

Dec 14, 2015 at 04:47 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Through the Pass

lighthound wrote:
I like it! Now the FG lines do their job and pull the eyes into the frame and over to the pass.

I see you did have some details available in the deep shadows as well.

Nice!

Dave

Thanks Dave!

Yeah I ripped some shadows to get a bit out. It doesn't show at web size but if I were to do anything with this shot I'd have to consider some NR around those areas.

Jeff

Dec 14, 2015 at 05:20 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Through the Pass

Jeff I really like version 2. I like where the highlight leads in from the top right.

Dec 14, 2015 at 05:38 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Through the Pass

Travis Rhoads wrote:
Jeff I really like version 2. I like where the highlight leads in from the top right.

Thanks Travis - I appreciate your input and advice along the way!

Jeff

Dec 15, 2015 at 07:35 AM
rongwam
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Through the Pass

Very nice version 2.0 with lots of details and beautiful composition. Love it!

Henry

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:20 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Through the Pass

rongwam wrote:
Very nice version 2.0 with lots of details and beautiful composition. Love it!

Henry

Thanks for the kind words, Henry!

Cheers,

Jeff

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:21 AM
       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.