Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Going through a ton of photos... any help?

spineguy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Going through a ton of photos... any help?

Hello! I am hoping someone can help me...

I am merging into on iMac and am starting from scratch with all 6500 photos and want to sift through and organize them. I am trying to figure out the best way to go through these...i know it will be a lengthy process but thats ok

I use lightroom as my end platform. I am wondering if there is something before lightroom that I can go through these quickly then import those into lightroom.

I am eager to hear how the professionals go through their 1000 wedding photos quickly as that is the type of workflow I am looking for.

I have heard about photo mechanic but was wondering if anyone had another goto program

thanks in advance!

David

Dec 13, 2015 at 08:27 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Going through a ton of photos... any help?

spineguy wrote:
Hello! I am hoping someone can help me...

I am merging into on iMac and am starting from scratch with all 6500 photos and want to sift through and organize them. I am trying to figure out the best way to go through these...i know it will be a lengthy process but thats ok

I use lightroom as my end platform. I am wondering if there is something before lightroom that I can go through these quickly then import those into lightroom.

I am eager to hear how the professionals go through their 1000 wedding photos quickly as that is the type
...Show more

Lightroom is PERFECT for this. Import every photo into the library. Let it build the previews. Then hit the letter E on your keyboard to evaluate images. Arrow (key) through them all, hitting the X key for ones you dont like. Go through every photo. When you are done, filter by rejected photos and delete them all.

Could not be any easier.

You dont have to do every photo in one sitting. Do as much as you can and resume later.

Dec 13, 2015 at 08:41 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Going through a ton of photos... any help?

The process I use with soccer matches is to ingest everything via PhotoMechanic for review, culling and to mark potentials for importing to LR. PM is extremely fast - many pro's use it. Once marked I move then to a subfolder and import the subfolder into LR. Generating previews for only the potentials vs all can save a lot of time btw.

Matt

Edited on Dec 16, 2015 at 11:46 PM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2015 at 09:57 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Going through a ton of photos... any help?

IMO, PM is very nice, just wildly overpriced for the non-professional or sports shooter that doesn't constantly have to sift through 1000's of images. Really, $150 ?

I bought it years ago but see zero reason to upgrade to the latest. For me, an good day is usually a hundred images so LR can easily handle that w/o adding yet another workflow step.

I think they have a free trial. You could go down that route for 14 days or so

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:06 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Going through a ton of photos... any help?

In the Mac OS X Finder, make the thumbnails much bigger than normal and you'll see a reasonable impression of each photo. Certainly good enough to identify which ones were way out of focus.

Also, unlike in Windows File explorer, you can tag files in Finder and the tags go with the files.

Most programs that offer really fast previews are using the built-in thumbnails and don't benefit from the tweaks that you might apply automatically or routinely in Lr, such as sharpening, colour defringeing, etc. There are good reasons why a thumbnail should not look right, such as getting a useful histogram at the expense of correct contrast and saturation. Then it pays to not rely on the thumbnails for image selection.

- Alan

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:31 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.