Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · 5-yr old PC enough??? seems so, but you know.....

jay tieger
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5-yr old PC enough??? seems so, but you know.....

Good to know...lots of great advice here...thanks to all...

Dec 18, 2015 at 06:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5-yr old PC enough??? seems so, but you know.....

actually a NVidia 960 w/2 or 4GB is considerably more efficient then the 750. the cooling fans don't even run unless your really hitting on the GPU. while i'm on this right now they are at dead stop.

haven't found a 4k monitor yet that really reaches color accuracy at minimum sRGB levels. i'm running a now 3 or 4 year old NEC PA271W which is 97% Adobe RGB (that has been exceeded to the the 272). 4k rolls of the tongue nicely but not making it in the real world of true color.
mine is hardware color accurate independent of the computer.

i do run a single 27" screen and still prefer the dual HDMI input though it supports DisplayPort as does the 960

oh, my setup is about 3+ years old.

all mentioned components will go into the current gen machines.

Dec 18, 2015 at 07:33 PM
travelair
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5-yr old PC enough??? seems so, but you know.....

FWIW, on the video card issue.

Nvidia 750 TI 60w power consumption (per Nvidia) about $110 (Amazon)
Nvidia 960 120w power consumption (per Nvidia) about $220 (Amazon)

I have no doubt the 960 is the "better" card, especially for gaming, but it better be at twice the cost and thermal footprint. Plus it might require a power supply upgrade. Even if doesn't draw anywhere near 120w 99% if the time, you need to be ready for the 1% where it may. Don't know if there is anyway to soft throttle the card. Also unsure about how much difference it would make for a Photoshop/Lightroom use.

Curious, is there any advantage one way or another from HDMI to DisplayPort? Aren't both capable of carrying sound, and don't both have DRM content protection schemes. Looking up, DP has a higher bandwidth capibility, but no audio return capability. At the moment, a single HDMI can't drive 4k at 60 hz, but can only imagine that will be fixed in some future iteration.

Dec 21, 2015 at 03:00 PM
jay tieger
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5-yr old PC enough??? seems so, but you know.....

I'm not a gamer....so would likely go for the "lesser" vid card....

Just to update...I'm pleased with some of the aspects of NX-D (side by side comparo for one, not available in Photoshop Elements14, and unless I've blocked THIS out, you can't even open 2 images at the same time in PSE)...

...and so far running both has been smooth with the 16gb ram upgrade...for now.
....again, thanks to all...

Dec 21, 2015 at 05:59 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5-yr old PC enough??? seems so, but you know.....

no I disagree. the card can unload some of the processing of the CPU. and it does. it also speeds up DxO and any other software that supports its abilities. in my case it is most of my plug ins. there is a "subtle difference with my lightweight laptop that uses the integrated intel vid. CUDA does make a difference.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:06 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5-yr old PC enough??? seems so, but you know.....

travelair wrote:
FWIW, on the video card issue.

Nvidia 750 TI 60w power consumption (per Nvidia) about $110 (Amazon)
Nvidia 960 120w power consumption (per Nvidia) about $220 (Amazon)

I have no doubt the 960 is the "better" card, especially for gaming, but it better be at twice the cost and thermal footprint. Plus it might require a power supply upgrade. Even if doesn't draw anywhere near 120w 99% if the time, you need to be ready for the 1% where it may. Don't know if there is anyway to soft throttle the card. Also unsure about how much difference it would make for a
...Show more

display port cables have been problematic. and 4K may be higher detailed but lower color accuracy. 8K is out the door too. you have to get out of the "gaming" mindset. I'm near 60 and gaming isn't high on my want list.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:10 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5-yr old PC enough??? seems so, but you know.....

There is some value to taking a "gamer" mentality in that cards which are faster for gaming are also going to be faster for OpenGL / CUDA / OpenCL. At least for consumer grade cards.

How fast you really need is the question. I have a GTX970 in my box and turning the acceleration on and off in LR and C1 doesn't make all that much difference that i can see. I am running an overclocked quad core (at 4.3GHz) though.

I haven't had too many problems with DP, so i use it over HDMI. DP does have more bandwidth, so if you want 4K at 60Hz refresh you have to use it. Graphics cards with multiple HDMI seem to be uncommon, so if you want a multi screen setup you are probably going to be using DP somewhere.

Dec 23, 2015 at 03:22 AM
travelair
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5-yr old PC enough??? seems so, but you know.....

sjms wrote:
display port cables have been problematic. and 4K may be higher detailed but lower color accuracy. 8K is out the door too. you have to get out of the "gaming" mindset. I'm near 60 and gaming isn't high on my want list.

I'm NOT in the gaming mindset. I just turned 50, and don't game. My point was, the slower, lower energy consumption card may be more than enough for general 2d graphics work, and is capable of driving 4k, should he want to go there at some point. I updated my 3 year old machine with the slower card, without needing to do a power supply update, and find it works quite well.

Even tried the same card here at work, where it made a tremendous difference in some 3-d spine modeling I was performing. I did not measure, but it was significantly faster than the build in HD4600 graphics on the i5-4590. For that situation, the 960 would be measurably better still, but don't think I'm going to be able to get the powers to be to updated the power supply on a leased, desktop machine.

As for DP cables, as I mentioned elsewhere, the work supplied Z27s was shipped with 1 HDMI cable and 2 DP cables. One of the DP cables would not drive my Z27s 4K@60hz, while the other would. Once that minor issue was cleared, all has been well. Just need to ensure the cable meets the DP 1.2a specification.

Dec 23, 2015 at 09:25 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 5-yr old PC enough??? seems so, but you know.....

any process (and there are more then just a few these days) that can access the CUDA cores can then use the GPU in even baseline calculations thus augmenting the main CPUs power. I have both of the mentioned cards. the 960 has almost 2x the CUDA cores and of course the possible additional memory. but hey stick with what you'd like. its not bad without going to a quadro.

as to LR, that program is as dumb as a rock to begin with. its implementations depending on what version has not been the best. I don't play with it any more.

lets get back to the term "gaming" for just a moment. there is a lot going on in high quality games as for as abilities which translates well to image rendering and modification the ability to take advantage of said abilities has its points.

I think of now and the near future when I choose gear.

life is a balance of gives and takes too.

Dec 23, 2015 at 09:48 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 5-yr old PC enough??? seems so, but you know.....

I like to know a little about the hardware I actually have and use perform. Currently I use a Dell workstation T5600 and a Surface Pro 3. My dell workstation was a relatively low cost one. It speed is only 2GHz Dual 6 core xeons, Has a 256GB SSD and a 500GB 10k RPM Disk ad 40GB of Ram. Also a 4TB External Seagate USB2 Disk. The Surface Pro 3 is the I7 model with a 256GB SSD. I also have an external Samaung T1 256GB SSD. Which performs better on the Surface Pro 3 then the Dell Workstation for I plug in into a cheap 4 Port USB3 HUB I plugged into one of the two USB3 ports on the workstation. It mat be slowed down by the fact that I have mt Wacom USB2 tablet plugged inti the hub also. The Wacom Tablet will not wake up in the T5600 usb2 ports for some unknown reason. Nether Dell or Wacom can tell me why. It wakes up on other machines use2 ports. Anyway here are the speeds I see for my devices.

Photoshop use scratch space all the time. It does not keep all of the histort and other stuff it caches in ram. My workstation has 40GB of ecc RAM. I hardly ever see Photoshop use more then 16GB of ram but often see it use 100GB of scratch space.

Photoshop does not need a great GPU display adapter. IMO Photoshop does not use the display adapter GPU for much. If you do Video you may want a Nvidia Quadro display adapter. There are Plug-in for some of Adobe software like Premier Pro for Nvidia Quadro Adapters.

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/HDvsSSD.jpg

Dec 23, 2015 at 05:46 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 5-yr old PC enough??? seems so, but you know.....

you are correct it is an opinion and it is dependent on more then a few usage factors. PS does not "need" a good vid card but under various types of usage it sure can benefit from it.

as far as your USB2 ports power is a factor to said ports. many MB's are notorious for under powering these ports in design (limited). not voltage as that's the easy part its current draw. it happens even on USB3 products. you don't really want to hub out of your surface 3 without an external PS on said hub to get maximum efficient use depending on your load if at all.

Dec 23, 2015 at 07:12 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.