Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2015 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

arduluth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

Anyone else having issues with this lens at f/8 or so?

My copy of the lens has a weird issue. It looks great at f/1.8 until at least f/4. Around f/5.6, the center starts falling apart, getting soft and low contrast. It's very obvious at f/8. I see this for both near objects like my cubical wall at 2 ft as well as for infinity scenes. Outside this soft center area, it sharpens up again toward the edges. A donut of sharpness.

I first noticed in some landscape photos which I focused at f/1.8-f/2.8 and then stopped down to f/8. Checking focus after, the center seemed quite soft. I assumed it was due to focus shift and started focusing at f/8, but noticed that the poor performance at f/8 when reviewing images later.

This one is going back. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this. If not, I'll try another copy and hope for the best.

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:23 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

I honestly don't think I've shot mine smaller than F2.8.

BTW, Fuji isn't working out for me, I simply care too much about video and I'm looking to go back to Sony for now. My 25/1.8 is FS.

Feb 23, 2017 at 09:09 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

Anyone else tried this lens at f/5.6 to f/11 for landscapes? Considering trying another copy... The weird donut of softness is the only reason I got rid of it, really curious if it's an issue shared by all copies of this lens or if I just had a dud.

Nov 21, 2017 at 05:38 PM
jjespdk

p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

arduluth wrote:
Anyone else tried this lens at f/5.6 to f/11 for landscapes? Considering trying another copy... The weird donut of softness is the only reason I got rid of it, really curious if it's an issue shared by all copies of this lens or if I just had a dud.

Yes I have the same. From f/2 to f/4 it is perfect. From f/5.6 at little bit unsharp in the center. From f/8, a big "ghost" unsharpness in the center. A shame. Otherwise it is great lens for the money...

Dec 14, 2017 at 07:53 AM
arduluth
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

jjespdk wrote:
Yes I have the same. From f/2 to f/4 it is perfect. From f/5.6 at little bit unsharp in the center. From f/8, a big "ghost" unsharpness in the center. A shame. Otherwise it is great lens for the money...

It's just so strange, I've never seen anything like that in any lens.

I moved on from the Zonlai 25mm f/1.8 and have tried the Meike 28mm f/2.8. I've been very pleasantly surprised! Unlike the Zonlai, it's capable of edge to edge sharpness for landscapes, basically from wide open. Sharpens up a little at f/4, but the edges are usable right from f/2.8. I've been using it a lot lately.

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:21 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.