Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2015 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

Bringing this one up again.
I got an XE1 this week, and needed a cheap lens to throw on it while I decide which Fuji lens to get.
Grabbed one of the unbranded versions of this lens on ebay for $72, hopefully it's here tomorrow.
Interesting thing to note, some versions of this lens have swapped the focus and aperture rings, which hopefully will fix the horrible ergos that I didn't like.

I will report back when I start using it.

Jan 11, 2017 at 09:51 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

Joshua025 wrote:
those nasty lights we have at night here. http://i.imgur.com/kixrChlh.jpg

Quoting because I love shooting on Korean streets. Those "nasty lights" are awesome!
Plus, your average Korean city street scene doesn't need good low light performance, you can shoot ISO400 24/7 in most Korean cities!

Jan 11, 2017 at 09:53 AM
trogdon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

Curious to hear your thoughts on these unbranded versions, they look much better to use because of the change in focus ring and aperture. This version also looks a lot larger, could just be me though

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:39 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

Yeah I think the swapped rings will help a LOT

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:34 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

UPDATE-
Unbranded "Discover" 25mm f1.8 came in today. I bought it on ebay from a seller in California. It was like $72. It came in a worryingly-small envelope, packed loose in a box like an adapter. I suppose at these low costs, what can you expect?
Right off the bat, the flipped focus/aperture arrangement works far better for me.
I slipped the TAB (medium size) onto it, it fits the focusing ring perfectly.
Messing around with it on my XE1, which is also new to me, it seems like it will work fine and dandy.
I'm not sure if it's the lens, or the camera, but the Zonlai seemed a good bit sharper wide open on my A6000. I think for $70 this will still work, but time will tell.
I am back at work now, will share some pics later.

Jan 12, 2017 at 02:26 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

Haha two observations.
1) I had my camera set on medium jpg. Fixed that haha.
2) I was trying to change the position of the Lens Tab on the lens without removing it. This turned the focusing ring past infinity a little bit... Doesn't seem to have broken anything but it didn't feel so good.

Jan 12, 2017 at 03:56 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

IMG_20170112_131357 by Chris Lynch, on Flickr

IMG_20170112_131316 by Chris Lynch, on Flickr

FUJI0017 by Chris Lynch, on Flickr

FUJI0040 by Chris Lynch, on Flickr

FUJI0032 by Chris Lynch, on Flickr

FUJI0029 by Chris Lynch, on Flickr

I'm digging it.

Jan 12, 2017 at 04:57 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

I was about to ping this thread again here, I've been thinking about getting this lens as well. I was looking at an unbranded version on Amazon like yours:

https://www.amazon.com/LAMZIX-mount-Manual-camera-optional/dp/B01HO2A8ZS

The reversed focus and aperture ring look like a nice ergonomic improvement - I didn't notice the difference when considering the unbranded versions of the lens.

I ended up deciding on an X100S, my first digital camera body purchase since Dec 2014. If that doesn't pan out, I'll be getting one of these cheap 25mm f/1.8 lenses for my NEX-5R to make my own tiny APS-C compact.

I have to say, I'm also digging the images from this lens. Oddly enough, I like the look more than the lens from the X100-series. Though I've read that the 25/1.8 never gets sharp in the corners and edges, even stopped down to f/8. But the sweet spot wide open is big enough that I think the lens could work for me.

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:47 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

I wish the lens was just a tiny bit wider (like a 22 or 23mm), and I wish the hard stop was closer to infinity- not a light year behind it lol.
But as you pointed out, the "sweet spot" is quite large, the lens has a nice look (IMO, and others seem to agree), and oh yeah it was <$75...

I never really fell in love with my X100 after shooting it pretty hard for a couple weeks in Korea. It's hard to say why, since it took really great pictures for me.

Jan 13, 2017 at 01:46 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

ISO1600 wrote:
I wish the lens was just a tiny bit wider (like a 22 or 23mm), and I wish the hard stop was closer to infinity- not a light year behind it lol.
But as you pointed out, the "sweet spot" is quite large, the lens has a nice look (IMO, and others seem to agree), and oh yeah it was <$75...

I never really fell in love with my X100 after shooting it pretty hard for a couple weeks in Korea. It's hard to say why, since it took really great pictures for me.

Yeah, there's something about the X100 lens that leaves me underwhelmed. Even so, it sure seems like a sweet camera. It's one I've wanted to try for years, finally giving it a shot. Despite its imperfections, the look of the Zonlai 25/1.8 is really appealing to me.

Jan 13, 2017 at 02:51 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

So, how do you like it compared to a Canon M 22/2?

ISO1600 wrote:

Jan 13, 2017 at 03:10 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

Mathieu18 wrote:
So, how do you like it compared to a Canon M 22/2?

That is the $75 question, I suppose.
The Chinese lens has more character, but the Canon 22 is a real gem that I will miss for sure.
I wonder how the focus speed of the 22 would be on the M5, but I don't want to pay to find out lol.
I like having manual controls.
I think for the most part I actually prefer the look of the 25/1.8, although I will admit that the 22 would be better for serious work.

Jan 18, 2017 at 09:49 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

FUJI0011 by Chris Lynch, on Flickr

FUJI0018 by Chris Lynch, on Flickr

Zonlai 25mm f1.8 on Fuji XE1 by Chris Lynch, on Flickr

Jan 18, 2017 at 08:13 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

haha just realized i've now uploaded spaghetti w/ scallops shot with two versions of this lens on two different cameras.

Jan 18, 2017 at 08:16 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

ISO1600 wrote:
That is the $75 question, I suppose.
The Chinese lens has more character, but the Canon 22 is a real gem that I will miss for sure.
I wonder how the focus speed of the 22 would be on the M5, but I don't want to pay to find out lol.
I like having manual controls.
I think for the most part I actually prefer the look of the 25/1.8, although I will admit that the 22 would be better for serious work.

Your shots and others do have an attractive rendering. I find I like the 22 better with corrections turned off. The Vignette at f/2 is nice for the type of shots you do there.

Admittedly I just got an M2, I like the M, but it's a bit slow when you're trying to capture a moment. The M2 isn't a speed daemon but it is much snappier. I do love the touch focus/shutter combo though, even with the occasional shot of my shoes or the sky.

I guess the Zonlai gets interesting if I ever wanted to stay in the Sony ecosystem, it would pair nice with a NEX 5T or similar.

Thanks for the samples and thoughts.

Jan 19, 2017 at 09:17 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

I had the M for a while, and like it as a small camera to mess around with. A while back I had an A6000.

A6000 vs XE1 (current camera), the A6000 is better in many ways, but I think I enjoy shooting the XE1 more. The XE1 is also dirt cheap... camera and this lens was under $250!

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:06 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

One of the best lenses per dollar I've ever used. Zonlai on a E1

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:12 AM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

I liked the XE1 output well enough but didn't love the ergonomics or controls. In fairness I hear the newer bodies are better but I wasn't prepared to pay for those. I was tempted to try the X-M1 next go around for its tilting screen.

Being used to Sonys newer operation (A6000, A7II) I found Fujis original magnification and peaking to be lacking for MF lenses. But it was enough to make me want to try again at some point. Maybe X-T10s will fall in price now.

ISO1600 wrote:
I had the M for a while, and like it as a small camera to mess around with. A while back I had an A6000.

A6000 vs XE1 (current camera), the A6000 is better in many ways, but I think I enjoy shooting the XE1 more. The XE1 is also dirt cheap... camera and this lens was under $250!

Jan 19, 2017 at 06:18 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

Mathieu18 wrote:
Being used to Sonys newer operation (A6000, A7II) I found Fujis original magnification and peaking to be lacking for MF lenses. But it was enough to make me want to try again at some point. Maybe X-T10s will fall in price now.

I prefer the feel and tactile controls of the XE1 over the A6000, but I shot faster with the Sony.
I think XT10's will be at A6k price levels very soon.
I'm more interested in the XT20 since it'll give me 4K quite affordably, and with the nice new sensor too.

Jan 19, 2017 at 09:45 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Zonlai 25mm f1.8 (now with pictures)

So... I broke down and got one! One of the un-branded Discovery version, $82 on Amazon. Sold under the Lamzix brand. Arrived yesterday, haven't had the chance to use it outside yet.

So far, I'm pretty impressed considering the cost. There aren't a lot of sub $100 lenses with a center this good wide open at f/1.8. Really liking the contrast and transition. Handles backlight pretty well which is important to me, though it is pretty susceptible to ghosting with a bright light in the frame.

The ergonomics are better than I was expecting. The focus ring has a nice dampening - it feels absolutely heavenly after a week of using the X100S! Really wish the aperture was clicky - I rely a lot on clicks (preferably full stops) to change aperture without looking. I'll have to figure out some way to achieve that.

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:45 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.