Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Photographing Tenpin Bowling

Jack Crouch
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photographing Tenpin Bowling

I have been asked to take some photographs of the best half a dozen tenpin bowlers for a new 'Hall of Fame'.

The idea is to photograph the subjects actually bowling a ball.

The lighting on the approach is pretty typical i.e. not very good!

I have 2 x SB900 flash guns and light stands etc. and will use my D800 + 70-200 f2.8 and 24-70 f2.8 lens.

Can anyone give me some tips on the best way to approach this?

Thanks,
Jack

Dec 11, 2015 at 07:38 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photographing Tenpin Bowling

I have now idea, but some thoughts....

I would think shooting from down alley and then off alley by one would give you good angle for the approach.

You are going to have to decide how much ambient to keep. Probably start by blacking out the ambient.

Then maybe work the ambient back up, but you might need a background flash.

Let us see then after your shootmamd good luck.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:16 PM
Jack Crouch
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photographing Tenpin Bowling

Thanks for the pointers.......very much appreciated.

Dec 12, 2015 at 03:02 AM
AceCo55

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photographing Tenpin Bowling

Never shot bowling, but another angle might be a wide angle down very low and close the the bowling line so you get an in-your-face action shot of the bowlers dominating the image.
Maybe also try some slower shutter speeds to get some motion blur in the bowling arm and ball?

Dec 12, 2015 at 03:21 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photographing Tenpin Bowling

My experience with bowling alleys is limited. Mostly, as you already know, the lighting sucks. Do you have permission from the alley to move down an adjacent alley? Can you setup your lights? If so, I would setup down alley with a 70-200mm lens. Set in shutter priority, f2.8 / 4, auto ISO, and shoot a number of test shots. White balance is a problem with alley lighting, & reflection off the alleys. Good luck

Dec 12, 2015 at 05:45 AM
Jack Crouch
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photographing Tenpin Bowling

Ace /Rattler,

Thanks for the input.

Luckily, I do have a bit of time before I will do the shoot as I won't do it until the New Year so I will probably get a chance to have a 'dry run'.
Our schools start their Christmas break next week so. with the weather forecast showing lots of lousy conditions, the lanes will be full of kids which will prevent any chance of a practice.

I understand that getting down the lanes shouldn't be a problem when the time comes.
The subjects are all males so, as for lighting, not sure whether to shoot through brollies for a softer effect or shoot for a more masculine look.

Anyway, thanks again, Happy Christmas

Dec 12, 2015 at 06:56 AM
doubleuely
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photographing Tenpin Bowling

I work in the bowling business and have actually shot some bowlers but my experience is very limited.

In some centers the ambient lightning can be decent, but it definitely varies from ok to terrible.
This shot I have of a competitive bowlers was shot with a 85mm 1.4 wide open with no flash. I'm standing on the center gutter capping, which will probably be allowed if you talk with the manager before hand. In this center the approach lights were on (some places only turn them on for leagues etc.), which can make the area near the foul line much brighter. Plus the ceiling tiles were very clean and a bright white. As far as lens choice goes the area behind the bowler can be very distracting so use a lens with the largest aperture you have, plus a wide angle can be a cool angle but it will bring in a lot of distracting elements into the photo with less subject isolation.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5303/5635132172_8ac5d0b761_b.jpg

Here is another shot with an 85 1.4 in a different bowling center. The ambient lightning was much different and I used a flash for this shot. Also the lower view angle changes the photo a good bit as well.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6081/6033254548_707a2f0564_b.jpg

Hope this helps a bit.

Dec 22, 2015 at 02:53 AM
Jack Crouch
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photographing Tenpin Bowling

Hi Doubleuely,

Thanks for responding and especially for the two examples.

I will be looking to get action images much like the first image. What I have in mind is to ask the subject to deliver the ball from a one-step delivery which, hopefully, will give me a better chance of getting good focus and maintain a similar representation of a 'normal' delivery.

Jack

Dec 24, 2015 at 07:04 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.