New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Purchasing lenses online from Europe - taxes/duties

timn421

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Purchasing lenses online from Europe - taxes/duties

I'm looking at purchasing some used camera equipment from a dealer in Europe that will be shipped to the United States. The two lenses I'm looking at total about $7000, but they are still at a discount to what I can find over here. I was trying to get an estimate on how much I might be looking at in duties and tax.

I was thinking worse case scenario would be around 10%, would that be about right?

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:03 AM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Purchasing lenses online from Europe - taxes/duties

I don't think we pay anything in US. If you live in Canada they will (pick 4 letter word) you.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:08 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Purchasing lenses online from Europe - taxes/duties

I have purchases used lenses from all over the world and they were sent via EMS. Some lenses were costly. But, I believe if the paperwork is marked used you should not be charged.

Rich

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:06 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Purchasing lenses online from Europe - taxes/duties

davewolfs wrote:
I don't think we pay anything in US. If you live in Canada they will (pick 4 letter word) you.

Not so. About half of the lenses that I get from outside North America, valued up to $1000, come in with no charges at all. The other half get charged 15% local sales tax and about $10 for handling. That's pretty reasonable.

Getting something from the USA sent via UPS Ground is a different matter - ripoff city!

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:56 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Purchasing lenses online from Europe - taxes/duties

jcolwell wrote:
Not so. About half of the lenses that I get from outside North America, valued up to $1000, come in with no charges at all. The other half get charged 15% local sales tax and about $10 for handling. That's pretty reasonable.

Getting something from the USA sent via UPS Ground is a different matter - ripoff city!

And vice-versa. UPS likes their "brokerage" fees.

Dec 11, 2015 at 01:34 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Purchasing lenses online from Europe - taxes/duties

Also, if they use DHL, the lenses will probably spend a week or three going through their offices in Germany before they leave Europe.

Dec 11, 2015 at 01:38 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Purchasing lenses online from Europe - taxes/duties

I would suggest you ask for the lens to be sent by the mail service(s). I've never had fees from them, only UPS and Fedex.

Dec 11, 2015 at 02:19 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Purchasing lenses online from Europe - taxes/duties

Last two I bought from Europe, I was charged a 2.3% import duty. My research indicated this was about right though it is a bit difficult to determine as none of the categories seemed to fit exactly.

Dec 11, 2015 at 08:26 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Purchasing lenses online from Europe - taxes/duties

davewolfs wrote:

Only for new equipment from a retailer; used can be imported without any duty or tax..

My personal experience has been to ship with a company that will take care of the customs fees (not tax, customs brokerage). This is where cost can really creep up..

Dec 11, 2015 at 09:08 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Purchasing lenses online from Europe - taxes/duties

Avoid anything and anybody except Express Mail Service (EMS). At those values, whether truly duty free or not, you can expect some scrutiny from FedEx, UPS, DHL or the like.

I don't know what the 2015 dutiable threshold is for formal versus informal importation, but it is in those aforementioned logistics companies financial interest to declare high, claim they are covering their butts (not untrue!), and charge you brokerage fees even on things the Harmonized Tariff Schedules plainly state are duty free. Just touching a package spawns extra fees.

Once you are the importer of record and especially on a declaration of formal importation (which those guys can and often will obligate you to provide for high-dollar items) depending on how organized your state tax authority -the Franchise Tax Board in California plays a mean game of raquetball- is they will be waiting with a tapping foot when you file that year's taxes.

Of course, you should pay what's due, but nothing more. I'll repeat what I've said in prior threads about buying gear that by circumstance(s), must be imported from abroad:

You're an adult, you can handle your own taxes, and even if you do everything by-the-book the state or federal authorities can sometimes still come knocking because they didn't like the look of some paperwork or you forgot to dot an "i"...and if they do, you've already lost your time, there is often a presumption of wrongdoing, you'll be under their microscope, might be hit with penalties, and needless to say, must play by their rules.
-------------------
TLDR: Ship solely via EMS, choose an HTS code that fits, and consider having them sent in separate parcels because of scrutiny and insurance limits. Never, ever use FedEx or UPS.

Dec 11, 2015 at 09:41 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Purchasing lenses online from Europe - taxes/duties

It is nice to say never use Fedex or UPS, but in some cases, retailers will only ship that way. I had no choice but to accept UPS delivery on two lenses I purchased from Europe. The lenses were rare (one I could not find ANYWHERE else) and that is how the retailer would ship. Agreed that EMS is preferable, but 2.3% is not a deal breaker most of the time.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:55 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Purchasing lenses online from Europe - taxes/duties

dasrocket wrote:
Only for new equipment from a retailer; used can be imported without any duty or tax..

My personal experience has been to ship with a company that will take care of the customs fees (not tax, customs brokerage). This is where cost can really creep up..

All goods imported into Canada are subject to taxes, regardless of whether they are new or used.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:50 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Purchasing lenses online from Europe - taxes/duties

timn421 wrote:
I'm looking at purchasing some used camera equipment from a dealer in Europe that will be shipped to the United States. The two lenses I'm looking at total about $7000, but they are still at a discount to what I can find over here. I was trying to get an estimate on how much I might be looking at in duties and tax.

I was thinking worse case scenario would be around 10%, would that be about right?

I think the direct answer to this is as already mentioned - up to 2.3% duty. Taxes owed will depend on your state's requirements for paying sales tax on items imported from out of state.

sirimiri wrote:
Avoid anything and anybody except Express Mail Service (EMS). At those values, whether truly duty free or not, you can expect some scrutiny from FedEx, UPS, DHL or the like.

I don't know what the 2015 dutiable threshold is for formal versus informal importation, but it is in those aforementioned logistics companies financial interest to declare high, claim they are covering their butts (not untrue!), and charge you brokerage fees even on things the Harmonized Tariff Schedules plainly state are duty free. Just touching a package spawns extra fees.

Once you are the importer of record and especially on a declaration
...Show more

Reading this and I have to say, maybe it's not so bad to be in Canada where one doesn't have a choice and must automatically pay the (relatively high vs. US) sales tax on importation... at least on typical courier shipments. I also don't share the utter dislike of UPS and FedEx, so long as the item was shipped express brokerage included service. Yes, EMS often slips through untaxed and is a great option for moderately costly items...

Not sure if this also applies to the US, but in Canada, if the item is considered high value (IIRC over $1600 CA), the shipping company is required to confirm with you how you wish to have the item cleared through customs. With UPS/FedEx express shipments, they'll do this for you as part of the service included in the shipping cost (after confirming with you). With EMS, if it doesn't slip through, you will have to do this yourself, resulting in additional time and paperwork to clear the shipment. And it means it will be taxed, so you're not really saving anything for the extra aggravation. I guess here it's somewhat different with the US since there won't be state sales tax collected up front, so the potential savings by neglecting to later file and pay the state 'use' tax will be tempting.

Dec 13, 2015 at 06:04 AM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Purchasing lenses online from Europe - taxes/duties

That is not applicable to used photographic equipment from a personal seller.
The specific clause is available online, but cannot remember off-hand where.

I may have posted the link previously either here on the rangefinder forum..

molson wrote:
All goods imported into Canada are subject to taxes, regardless of whether they are new or used.

Dec 13, 2015 at 07:08 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Purchasing lenses online from Europe - taxes/duties

dasrocket wrote:
That is not applicable to used photographic equipment from a personal seller.
The specific clause is available online, but cannot remember off-hand where.

I may have posted the link previously either here on the rangefinder forum..

Of course it is applicable - the CBSA treats all imported goods the same. If you had ever imported anything, you would know that...

Dec 15, 2015 at 08:13 AM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Purchasing lenses online from Europe - taxes/duties

Sarcasm aside, you are still not correct. Remember, I said "used product from non-retailers"

I get a similar response from customs officers here in Toronto from time to time, Molson, and here's my aproach: I email a copy of the import clause to the seller and ask that it is printed and put on the box. I also bring my copy to make my case.
I am now at four digital bodies and 6-8 lenses where this has succesfully worked.

Last time I did that, I bought an Epson R-D1 used from the UK, sometime 2-3 years ago. Unless the law has changed, it still works.
Look into it; it'll serve you well.

molson wrote:
Of course it is applicable - the CBSA treats all imported goods the same. If you had ever imported anything, you would know that...

Dec 16, 2015 at 03:38 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.