FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Options for carrying a DSLR on a backpack strap

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Options for carrying a DSLR on a backpack strap

Nikon_14 wrote:
50mph is indeed a "breeze" there... it used to have the highest recorded wind at 235mph. It doesn't have the nickname of the world's worst weather for nothing.

Which is what makes it all fun (as long as you have plenty of non-cotton layers, map/compass & know how to use them, proper footwear, etc., that is...)

it was 231MPH in 1934 but who's counting (https://www.mountwashington.org/about-us/history/world-record-wind.aspx). I have spent a number of days over the past 40 years on that mountain and in the Whites. its where my mountain experience started back in 1972. then I moved on out to the PNW for more fun.

picture below is my 50th summit from the base on my 50th birthday weekend and my daughters 1st summit. typical "Rockpile" weather as there are at average a bit less then 30 days of clear weather on any given year. this was a 50/50 day in august 2006

Dec 13, 2015 at 09:00 AM
jcunwired
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Options for carrying a DSLR on a backpack strap

Nikon_14 wrote:
50mph is indeed a "breeze" there... it used to have the highest recorded wind at 235mph. It doesn't have the nickname of the world's worst weather for nothing.

Which is what makes it all fun (as long as you have plenty of non-cotton layers, map/compass & know how to use them, proper footwear, etc., that is...)

I've scaled Mt. Washington a few times. One can be sweating while hiking in the cols approaching an ascent, and be freezing cold at the top. It's quite the adventure.

Dec 13, 2015 at 09:55 AM
jcunwired
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Options for carrying a DSLR on a backpack strap

Nikon_14 wrote:
I've been thinking about doing some sunrise shoots along the Blue Ridge Parkway at some point... I might want to see if I can meet up with you to see how this works.

I'm a bit north of the Blue Ridge Parkway, but only 12 miles from one of the entrances to Skyline Drive. Happy to meet sometime, send me an IM!

Dec 13, 2015 at 09:59 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Options for carrying a DSLR on a backpack strap

jcunwired wrote:
I've scaled Mt. Washington a few times. One can be sweating while hiking in the cols approaching an ascent, and be freezing cold at the top. It's quite the adventure.

and one can go hypothermic in the summer if unprepared too.

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:07 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Options for carrying a DSLR on a backpack strap

sjms wrote:
and one can go hypothermic in the summer if unprepared too.

...or even die in August, like Don Barr in the book "Not Without Peril". Mt Washington 'plays for keeps'.

Dec 14, 2015 at 08:38 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Options for carrying a DSLR on a backpack strap

sjms wrote:
picture below is my 50th summit from the base on my 50th birthday weekend and my daughters 1st summit. typical "Rockpile" weather as there are at average a bit less then 30 days of clear weather on any given year. this was a 50/50 day in august 2006

Can't think of many better ways to spend a 50th birthday.

Dec 14, 2015 at 08:46 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Options for carrying a DSLR on a backpack strap

yes it was great and unfortunately a long time ago too.

Dec 14, 2015 at 08:48 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Options for carrying a DSLR on a backpack strap

Nikon_14 wrote:
...or even die in August, like Don Barr in the book "Not Without Peril". Mt Washington 'plays for keeps'.

pulled a few unprepared individuals out of the Whites with S/R

Dec 14, 2015 at 08:49 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.