D800E.

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:52 AM
MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A7R2

Mark_L wrote:
D800E.

Have you ever rented or tried a D810, 750 or D4s? I'm pretty sure that these all have a better focus system than the 800E. My D750 x 4 are incredible! I've never used any other camera that focuses better and any kind of light. Previously I was using D4, D3s, D3, D700.

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:55 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A7R2

MRomine wrote:
Have you ever rented or tried a D810, 750 or D4s? I'm pretty sure that these all have a better focus system than the 800E. My D750 x 4 are incredible! I've never used any other camera that focuses better and any kind of light. Previously I was using D4, D3s, D3, D700.

I haven't yet. Since it is a tarted up version of the same module and my D800E wasn't much better than my D700 I didn't think the difference could be that big but I will see if I can borrow one now.

Dec 21, 2015 at 03:37 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A7R2

Mark_L wrote:
I haven't yet. Since it is a tarted up version of the same module and my D800E wasn't much better than my D700 I didn't think the difference could be that big but I will see if I can borrow one now.

I've never used either of the D800 so I can't speak to them for sure but regarding all of those other models it was a very nice improvement even over the much vaunted D3s and D4.

Dec 21, 2015 at 03:40 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · A7R2

Mark_L wrote:
Thanks for posting this, there are not many reviews on this camera from a working pro perspective. I'm pretty sure I'll be jumping ship from Nikon once the A9 or A7rIII arrives.

How is the focus accuracy especially in eye-tracking mode? This is one of the things that drives me nuts with dslr phase detect - it just isn't consistently bang on enough to stop me having to overshot to make sure I get it.

Focus accuracy especially in eye tracking mode is excellent. Really excellent.

That's the thing about mirrorless cameras... It's either 100% out of focus, or 100% in focus. None of this "sort of in focus" stuff you get with DSLRs.

My "keeper rate***" with my Fuji setup is around 95%, where my keeper rate with a DSLR tends to be more around 80%. The catch here is that the Fuji is significantly slower to focus and operate overall, so while the shots that I do take with it are almost always pin sharp, I end up simply not able to take any photo at all quite often. After two years of shooting like this, I've decided that for me, an 80% keeper rate (DSLR) is preferable to 95% (shots in focus) of 80% (percentage of shots I'm able to take at all with my Fuji).

This is a bit less of a problem with the Sony stuff, since it's now pretty quick, but it's still the same sort of thing.

Dec 21, 2015 at 05:04 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · A7R2

joshua grasso wrote:
How did you modify the yongnuos? I have the same setup and would love to use my triggers/flash with the a7

Joshua,

There are a few video links to show step by step on how to modify the triggers for Sony A7/NEX.
You basically solder a 100kohm resistor to one of the connections. Not difficult to do at all. Been using this since late summer and they seem to stand up to the tossing and bumping the triggers get.

By doing that I unified all the triggers to work with one another while still maintaining Canon Speedlites. Works with Nikon too.

Dec 21, 2015 at 05:13 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · A7R2

mikethevilla wrote:
Focus accuracy especially in eye tracking mode is excellent. Really excellent.

That's the thing about mirrorless cameras... It's either 100% out of focus, or 100% in focus. None of this "sort of in focus" stuff you get with DSLRs.

My "keeper rate***" with my Fuji setup is around 95%, where my keeper rate with a DSLR tends to be more around 80%. The catch here is that the Fuji is significantly slower to focus and operate overall, so while the shots that I do take with it are almost always pin sharp, I end up simply not able to take any photo
...Show more

This is exactly what I'm looking for but I wasn't sure if phase detect points behaved like this on mirrorless. My D800E gets an unacceptable amount of kind-of-in-focus shots and I'd gladly trade off speed for excellent accuracy, it'd also save a whole lot of time not having to check focus at 100% on lots of frames in post.

I'm sure many people are not as picky as I am with focus accuracy but if I pay for the best lenses and a high MP body I want to see the benefit.

Dec 21, 2015 at 05:13 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · A7R2

Mark_L wrote:
This is exactly what I'm looking for but I wasn't sure if phase detect points behaved like this on mirrorless. My D800E gets an unacceptable amount of kind-of-in-focus shots and I'd gladly trade off speed for excellent accuracy, it'd also save a whole lot of time not having to check focus at 100% on lots of frames in post.

I'm sure many people are not as picky as I am with focus accuracy but if I pay for the best lenses and a high MP body I want to see the benefit.

The D800 bodies were my least favorite AF systems in a long time. I preferred the AF in my D3 by a mile. It might be worth trying the newer ones as the D810 is far far improved in stability and consistency IMO. (the D750 is faster but not as stable, still my personal choice though).

I am in the same boat as mike, mirrorless is soooo close but just not quite there for me yet.

Dec 21, 2015 at 07:26 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · A7R2

A little primer on AF systems: http://www.slrlounge.com/primer-phase-detection-autofocus-vs-contrast-detection/

Dec 21, 2015 at 07:44 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · A7R2

MRomine wrote:
A little primer on AF systems: http://www.slrlounge.com/primer-phase-detection-autofocus-vs-contrast-detection/

wow, that was stupid.

Dec 21, 2015 at 08:02 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.