New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Horseshoe Bend

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Horseshoe Bend

Yep, this location has been shot to death and I'm not bringing anything unique to the table. Still would like to know what issues the shots have!

Thanks,

Jeff

bonus!

Dec 09, 2015 at 05:59 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Horseshoe Bend

I like the second sky best, but the first is close. The third has a clear unbroken view of the river. I think I like the colors of the cliffs best in 2.

Dec 09, 2015 at 08:29 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Horseshoe Bend

ben egbert wrote:
I like the second sky best, but the first is close. The third has a clear unbroken view of the river. I think I like the colors of the cliffs best in 2.

Thanks for the feedback, Ben! I didn't notice the unbroken view until the light had started to really go flat.

Next trip!

Dec 09, 2015 at 08:32 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Horseshoe Bend

Composted with 2 & 3 ... had to play.
Didn't get the colors quite the way I was trying for in the pinkish / reddish in the rock ... but, hey ... ya get what ya paid for.

Very different lighting from when I was there.

By the way ... standing on the ledge in the white circle gets you a different perspective.
But, since it is only about 6-12 inches wide, it really isn't something advisable to do. There is no margin for error, and the formation kinda protrudes into your back when you're there.

And of course, there's that uphill slog through the sand back to the car.

I probably shouldn't have stood here. ;-)

Dec 09, 2015 at 09:27 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Horseshoe Bend

I remember the uphills slog being to the overlook not going back. But it was a slog.

Dec 09, 2015 at 11:38 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Horseshoe Bend

Kent, I dig it!! Taking the best of both worlds. I think I might have to play with that idea some. What kind of lighting did you see?

I probably should have done some more scouting, but I plunked down where I was for the initial shots because I wasn't sure how many people would show up. Next time I'll have more info to work with! And while my wife would of course worry about me getting on that ledge, it's not like I wasn't getting on just about every other ledge out there.

You've got a steeper but shorter slog walking up from the parking area. But the walk down to the bend and back is sandy, longish (~1.5mi when we were expecting that for the roundtrip!) and somewhat graded. You'll burn some calories!

Jeff

Dec 10, 2015 at 07:47 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Horseshoe Bend

I had 9:00 am hard shadow cutting across.

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:47 PM
Nuchuga
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Horseshoe Bend

I personally like #1's sky more but the rocks of #2 more. If you combine the two, I think youd have an incredible image on your hands! Well done!

Nate

Dec 11, 2015 at 05:03 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Horseshoe Bend

I'm with the combo effort too!
Scott

Dec 11, 2015 at 05:16 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Horseshoe Bend

Nuchuga wrote:
I personally like #1's sky more but the rocks of #2 more. If you combine the two, I think youd have an incredible image on your hands! Well done!

Nate

---------------------------------------------

sbeme wrote:
I'm with the combo effort too!
Scott

Thanks guys - methinks I will take Kent's lead and make a composite of the two.

Cheers!

Jeff

Dec 12, 2015 at 06:40 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Horseshoe Bend

Rustybug, those are more realistic colors. Beavens, the first two shots have too much pink to the detriment of the greens which are present.

And I definitely do not recommend standing on that 12"ledge. Goodness, even taking a shot from the top was scary. A lot of people just lay flat on their tummies for the iconic shot.

Dec 17, 2015 at 06:41 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Horseshoe Bend

dalite wrote:
Rustybug, those are more realistic colors. Beavens, the first two shots have too much pink to the detriment of the greens which are present.

And I definitely do not recommend standing on that 12"ledge. Goodness, even taking a shot from the top was scary. A lot of people just lay flat on their tummies for the iconic shot.

Definitely - one has the nice sky and the other the nicer rock. Composite is totally the way to go.

Oh come on, it's just a little height!

Dec 17, 2015 at 07:35 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.