end

Archive 2015 · 16 vs 24

sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 16 vs 24

Great images, Ben.

Dave,
I am not an expert printer but I have printed 50-100 images. Like Ben, I have a well-calibrated high quality monitor and the Epson 3800 printer. Intensity is set at 110. I try to stick with several papers to be familiar with their qualities, the divergence from screen to print, and to have options. I use the manufacturer's profiles and paper setting recommendations. I print from LR and work in ProPhoto or aRGB color space.
I have experimented with soft-proofing in LR and CS4 and either don't know what I am doing (quite possibly) and/or dont find it helpful. I have learned to tweak most images in the Print Module by bumping contrast 3-5 points and brightness around 4. But those settings relate to my monitor brightness, ambient lighting while processing, and desired print. Lately the Epson Exhibition Fiber (my go to paper) prints made at best quality are very close to the monitor. I have had good results with Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl, now called Ilford Gallerie Prestige as well.

Scott

Dec 10, 2015 at 08:01 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 16 vs 24

howardm4 wrote:
Do you mean the Soraa LED lamps?

Yes that's it.

Dec 10, 2015 at 08:12 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 16 vs 24

ben egbert wrote:
I have been printing on Rag phographique for a while, my second box of 24x36 is in shipment. But Brian, (Hugowolf) printed a proof of this image on Baryta and another on BFK Rives. The Baryta is luster and would show more reflections. The Baryta does not seem sharper or brighter, but is a bit colder in fact. But the BFK Rives is brighter and warmer. I really like the look of it and may order some smaller sheets to play with.

I have been leery of luster and glass and all my images are mat unglazed. No reflections at
...Show more

Hi Ben, BFK Rives is a really, really nice matte fine art paper, but is 50% more expensive than Rag Photographique, at least in 24" x 36" sheets. It was my favorite paper from art school days, where for fine art printing it comes in hot pressed, cold pressed, and torchon (rough), and in several tints too. The inkjet version is cold pressed, with a very slight velvety texture.

The Canson Baryta is cooler, because it has some OBA content. Not much, but enough to push it into a 'bluer' range. I think I printed your sample with the Canson profile (thinking that if you were thinking of trying it, you would be using a canned profile). My custom profile is definitely a little warmer, But it is a PK paper, and while not as reflection prone a a full gloss, reflections can still be a problem.

You are a pleasure to print for Ben, you wouldn't believe the number of images I turn down for lack of quality. [I have, at economical down turn times printed images where I have expressedly stated that on no account should my name be associated with the print.] Not so with yours.

Brian A

Dec 10, 2015 at 08:41 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 16 vs 24

these are very nice Ben! I do hope you don't stop posting for the web, it would be a shame

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:20 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 16 vs 24

hugowolf wrote:
Hi Ben, BFK Rives is a really, really nice matte fine art paper, but is 50% more expensive than Rag Photographique, at least in 24" x 36" sheets. It was my favorite paper from art school days, where for fine art printing it comes in hot pressed, cold pressed, and torchon (rough), and in several tints too. The inkjet version is cold pressed, with a very slight velvety texture.

The Canson Baryta is cooler, because it has some OBA content. Not much, but enough to push it into a 'bluer' range. I think I printed your sample with the Canson profile
...Show more

Thanks Brian, and I hope my picture of the print does not embarrass, I don't have proper lighting to do a good job on it. The print looks much closer to the posted image than in the photo of it, the light was a bit hot and washed it out. Its a gorgeous print.

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:47 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 16 vs 24

Dustin Gent wrote:
these are very nice Ben! I do hope you don't stop posting for the web, it would be a shame

Thanks Dustin. I sort of have to make a decision about which game to be in. But no matter, all of this years images have already been posted and no more until spring.

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:49 PM
rongwam
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 16 vs 24

Lovely prints in both sizes, Ben! Canson Rag Photographique is a very nice choice IMO.

Keep shooting and printing the beautiful images!

Henry

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:10 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 16 vs 24

ben egbert wrote:
Thanks Brian, and I hope my picture of the print does not embarrass, I don't have proper lighting to do a good job on it. The print looks much closer to the posted image than in the photo of it, the light was a bit hot and washed it out. Its a gorgeous print.

I don't want to speak for others but I am pretty sure that just about everyone here know that the prints absolutely SINGS in person.

Hell, I think the picture of the print looks great.

Dec 11, 2015 at 08:50 AM
       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.