New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Digital Camera - Point and Shoot

MissDiagnosis

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Digital Camera - Point and Shoot

Looking to purchase a point and shoot camera for a photo enthusiast, not looking to break the bank...anyone familiar with this camera or has recommendations of other cameras that would equally take great pictures, small / compact and moderately priced, not looking to break the bank

Thanks.

Dec 09, 2015 at 08:19 AM
in2house

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Digital Camera - Point and Shoot

At that price point ($150ish), you might as well use a smartphone. If you must have a dedicated camera you might want to research the Canon S110 or S120. It's extremely portable and has RAW capabilities.

However, if you can step up your budget, you can snag a Sony RX100 which is probably one of the top P&S options (even though its been superseded by 3 newer models).

Dec 09, 2015 at 11:28 PM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Digital Camera - Point and Shoot

Sorry, but I've got to call it and say that ^ is pretty much nonsense to say use a smart phone over the S7000.

There are a serious host of small compact cameras in this range to choose from, and each has it's points (good/otherwise). None are great in low light but they are better than what we had 5 years ago.

The S7000 is actually a pretty nice little camera if you want more than what a camera phone offers. It has 20x zoom lens starting at a respectable 25mm (equiv) lens that goes to 500mm. Very slim design for a compact with this sort of zoom range.

I have used it recently, and it was rather an impressive pocket holiday companion - and probably one of the best value for money offerings.

Personally, I like the S9900 though it's a little bigger in size due to a few more buttons and a flip screen. I like the flip screen for the macro. Also has an equiv 25-750mm zoom. Great for travel. Also has more manual controls for an enthusiast

It weights 100 grams more though (or maybe more technically, it has a 'mass' of 100 grams more .

The S120 is a nice camera but again, depends on what it at the top of the list. It only has a 5 times zoom starting at 28mm but has a brighter lens. It's also about twice the price.

The Sony HX90V - great little camera, but again far more expensive and very similar specs to the Nikon S9900. Doesn't really live up to the price tag.

So value for money, the S7000 (or even the S9900) is a really good deal, in my opinion.

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:47 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Digital Camera - Point and Shoot

At $150, pretty much every P&S is the same. Tiny sensor (same as a smartphone), average performance, and a competition between manufacturers to see who can put the most acronyms and largest numbers on the spec list to attract uneducated buyers.

I would get a Sony RX100 in whatever version you can afford (I, II, or III). It's still worlds better than something like a Canon S120 which is about the same price ($349-$398).

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:13 AM
in2house

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Digital Camera - Point and Shoot

nikt wrote:
Sorry, but I've got to call it and say that ^ is pretty much nonsense to say use a smart phone over the S7000.

There are a serious host of small compact cameras in this range to choose from, and each has it's points (good/otherwise). None are great in low light but they are better than what we had 5 years ago.

The S7000 is actually a pretty nice little camera if you want more than what a camera phone offers. It has 20x zoom lens starting at a respectable 25mm (equiv) lens that goes to 500mm. Very slim design for a
...Show more

You definitely make some good points as the choice of camera should be determined by your needs and I agree that there are reasons for a P&S over a smartphone.

If I wanted a S120, I'd only get it on sale but with cameras like the RX100 within reach, it's hard to give up the benefits of a larger sensor...

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:23 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Digital Camera - Point and Shoot

Look for a used Nikon Coolpix A $300ish but well worth it.

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:25 PM
MissDiagnosis

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Digital Camera - Point and Shoot

Thanks, will look into the Sony RX100

Dec 10, 2015 at 01:06 PM
MissDiagnosis

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Digital Camera - Point and Shoot

What coolpix?

ckcarr wrote:

Dec 10, 2015 at 01:07 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Digital Camera - Point and Shoot

Being that you don't know what it is, perhaps it wasn't the best advice.

It's a camera no longer made, but it originally went for $1,200 and now can be found used or refurbed between $300 and $500...

http://www.adorama.com/INKCPAS.html?gclid=CPX8qsT80ckCFUOBfgodhO0JGw

Dec 10, 2015 at 01:58 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Digital Camera - Point and Shoot

^^ Oh wow, they still have some for sale - nice.

One of my favorite cameras, so glad I snagged one. Far exceeded my expectations as a fun "take everywhere" camera, or when the DSLR can't come along.

For the OP's benefit, as good as that camera is, just note that it has no zoom (28mm fixed lens equivalent), which may or may not be desirable by the gift recipient. It also uses a DSLR sized sensor (same one as the Nikon D7000).

And yeah, it's actually called the Coolpix "A" haha, not a typo - it can look weird when trying to write about it, since the name can blend into the sentence.

Dec 10, 2015 at 05:21 PM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Digital Camera - Point and Shoot

You definitely make some good points as the choice of camera should be determined by your needs and I agree that there are reasons for a P&S over a smartphone.

If I wanted a S120, I'd only get it on sale but with cameras like the RX100 within reach, it's hard to give up the benefits of a larger sensor...

I've had many cameras myself, and I've become rather anti-phone . So many ... many... missed opportunities of my little one because I had become complacent about using my phone 'if needed'. Bit angry with myself.

The Panasonic LX100 is on the wish list as my next 'sweet spot' between my SLR and phone.

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:00 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Digital Camera - Point and Shoot

What about a used Canon Powershot Gxx or whatever Nikon calls their similar camera? They are built better-ish, have solid controls, less irritating speed issues, and faster-ish glass.

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:00 AM
ecidi
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Digital Camera - Point and Shoot

ckcarr wrote:

I agree with ckcarr! There was a thread here at FM of photos from the Coolpix A seven pages of them. Look for yourself and see if you will like this camera. Although discontinued by Nikon, used ones are still available at Amazon.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1361598/0

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00BOZ1XA6/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/refurbished-compact-digital-cameras/coolpix-a-refurbished.html

Dec 11, 2015 at 07:39 AM
MissDiagnosis

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Digital Camera - Point and Shoot

Haha, I thought the 'coolpix A' was a typo...smh

I looked it up and as someone stated, due to it being fixed, with no zoom, it wouldn't quite work for the recipient..

The Sony RX100 looks pretty good, although prices are all over the place, with so many versions...any idea on how much to expect to pay?

Dec 11, 2015 at 08:23 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Digital Camera - Point and Shoot

MissDiagnosis wrote:
Haha, I thought the 'coolpix A' was a typo...smh

I looked it up and as someone stated, due to it being fixed, with no zoom, it wouldn't quite work for the recipient..

The Sony RX100 looks pretty good, although prices are all over the place, with so many versions...any idea on how much to expect to pay?

RX100 (Original) $398

RX100 II (aka M2) $498 (slight overall improvement from the original, added hot shoe, better sensor)

RX100 III $748 (first year of significant change, lens changes from a 28-100 F1.8-F4.9 to a 24-70 F1.8-F2.8, no more hot shoe, and a built in pop-up viewfinder)

RX100 IV $948 (not much change from the III, most upgrades have to do with speed & video capability)

The III is the sweet spot. If you're on a tight budget, either the I or the II will serve you well, whichever you can afford.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:19 AM
MissDiagnosis

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Digital Camera - Point and Shoot

Is 200 for a used rx100 a good deal?

Dec 12, 2015 at 06:13 PM
MissDiagnosis

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Digital Camera - Point and Shoot

Thanks everyone. Decided to go with the Sony rx100! Will play around with at christmas, as I've already wrapped it and have it under the tree!!

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:21 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.