Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2015 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

tshore
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will be doing a bit of renting before buying. Looking forward to taking some low-angle shots of waterfowl, hopefully without turning my camera/lens kit into an anchor...

Dec 20, 2015 at 07:14 PM
axsnyder

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

Have you made a decision yet? If not, I'm going to throw another vote in for the Hobie yaks.

I use the Hobie Pro Angler 12 because of the stability and pedal drive system. It is amazing how fast it is and how far you can go without getting tired. The system makes kayaking so enjoyable I lose all track of time and typically end up on the water for hours longer than I originally planned.

My fiancé uses the Hobie Outback and it is excellent too. At 200lbs and 5'8" I find the Pro Angler much more stable and the larger fins to make it faster in the marathon....the Outback is faster in a sprint. Speed is important because you will see things across the water you'll want to get to quickly and sometimes you may need to beat the occasional bad weather that comes from nowhere.

The pedal drive makes you silent in the water and if you do small flutters (the shallow water process by the way) it is a good way to move slowly toward an animal. I have yet to wear any camo, but plan to try some out this year.

Shooting handheld is incredibly easy and comfortable from the incredibly adjustable captains chair. I am still working on a comfortable placement for my 5 series Gitzo legs so I can take one of the big guns out.

The biggest downside to the Hobie is wind chop. The Outback isn't as "splashy" but the Pro Angler definitely catches spray off the bow from sharp chop. Any kayak is going to have this issue to some extent, but you'll feel it more in the Pro Angler. A simple solution: be prepared to get sprayed when the wind is whipping on the water's surface and you're on open water. On windy days I hit rivers and ponds.

I have used the Pungo Wilderness Systems 14 and 16 foot anglers. If global warming continues to create winters where Lake Champlain doesn't freeze I might get one for winter shooting. There is much more wind in the winter and I would like to stay drier. Other than that, I'm using the Hobie.

Feb 04, 2016 at 07:44 AM
Plinian
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

This thread caught my attention because it's kind of how I got started on FM (kayaking with Tim Kuhn).

I have an inflatable kayak, a Sea Eagle, which I love. It is wide (and very stable), has a rigid floor, detachable rudder and inflatable keel, fits in a suitcase (everything together with pump, seat, and CF paddle comes in at just under 50 pounds), and takes 5-10 min to inflate and deflate. It looks kind of ridiculous, but can't be beat for versatility and portability. Jim Woodman has the exact same rig...you can see shots of his (and the kayak) on Elkhorn in a thread from a year or two ago.

Greg

P.S. Pay attention to the tides when you're on the Bay. Some of the best places to go are mudflats (San Pablo, Palo Alto Baylands), but don't get caught when the tide goes out! A good place to start is Pillar Point...there's always something to see and it's a nice mix of shorebirds, diving ducks, and loons. It's easy to get away from the crowd but not so easy to get into trouble. Here's a handful from Pillar Point; late winter last year:

Missing a leg

Also missing a leg

Getting close to breeding plumage

Red-throated, I think

Feb 04, 2016 at 02:11 PM
tshore
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

Thanks for the great advice folks. I have not made a decision yet, but will be renting and getting some experience at this before taking a plunge (figuratively speaking, I hope )

Feb 04, 2016 at 02:57 PM
40Driggs
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

I just picked up a native ultimate 14.5 which I feel is a very good kayak for photography. The new FX is even better if you have the funds. I picked up a used ultimate for a good price on Craigslist.

May 04, 2016 at 09:30 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

I bought a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 kayak based on the recommendations on this thread. Over the last couple months, I have been learning how to kayak. There is a lot to learn – gear, strokes, self-rescue, river currents, tidal influences, etc. My goal for this summer was to begin exploring the Skagit River estuary system, by kayak. I have made several trips out there now, and have been very happy the Pungo kayak. So, I wanted to thank everyone here for sharing their thoughts on this thread!

The following images were taken with the Nikon D500 and Nikon 300mm f4 PF lens with the latest Nikon 1.4x teleconverter. Having a small and light weight setup with great reach makes wildlife photography from a kayak a reasonable endeavor (versus using a large and heavy super telephoto lens).

https://photos.smugmug.com/Things/Birds/i-bXhNCFd/0/XL/20160825-_D502431-Edit-XL.jpg
1. American Coot, 1/3200 sec, f/5.6, ISO 640.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Things/Animals/i-dQMWpCR/0/X2/20160825-_D502548-Edit-X2.jpg
2. Harbor Seal, 1/4000 sec, f/5.6, ISO 640.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Things/Animals/i-sNHdk97/0/XL/20160825-_D503249-Edit-XL.jpg
3. Harbor Seal, 1/640 sec, f/5.6, ISO 1000.

Keith W.

Aug 27, 2016 at 03:08 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

Congrats on the yak. I started in a used Pungo many years ago. However, it seemed to gain weight as we both got older. I wound up with a Hurricane kayak that is no longer made, but is much lighter ~ Ron

Aug 27, 2016 at 06:41 AM
palmer1076

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

Check out the Jackson Kilroy. Great for fishing, hunting, and photography.

Aug 27, 2016 at 09:02 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

An anchor is a good accessory to have on board whatever boat you are using. It makes it possible to stay in position with a river current or a tidal flow. Mushroom type are easiest to manage and hold well in mud bottoms. Outbound tidal flow in many places can exceed 4 knots which is about the sustained speed at which most people can paddle or a trolling motor can push a boat - in San Francisco it can be up at 9 knots in places.

Something to consider is the tide in bays as at high tide the shorebirds will be much closer and your telephoto lens will be much more effective and birds wil be more concentrated into an area. Feeding activity will start up with an inbound tide and this is worth taking advantage of as well.

Nov 01, 2016 at 01:27 PM
SharpshooterSF

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

I have been on the same search. I have made two decisions. A. I must have a pedal drive kayak to keep my hands free and dry. B. I must have a water tight hatch within EASY reach of the seat to keep my camera in so I can get it out quick when an opportunity presents itself. The only kayak that fits this exact bill is the Hobie Mirage Outback or the Hobie Mirage angler. These are both fast and stable boats that you can stand up in. I recommend Headwaters Kayak in Lodi, on the web or on YouTube. These boats are made by Native, Jackson and others but none except the Hobie have a hatch right in front of the seat for the camera. If you are in shallow water, you lightly flutter kick keeping the mirage drive fins up close to the boat. If you are in mere inches of water, yank the mirage drive out and grab the paddle from the storage clips on the side of the boat and go all analog.

See the Headwaters Kayak Pedal Drive shootout here:

Jun 05, 2019 at 01:02 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

Be sure to get a current chart for the SF bay and look at the tide tables. There can be currents of more than 8 knots and not too many people can paddle that fast in a kayak for extended periods of time.

A problem with a regular kayak is having saltwater on your hands from paddling not get onto the camera or lens. This is why I use a peddle type kayak from Hobie. I can also go twice as fast using my legs to power the kayak than I could ever do with a paddle and use less effort in the process.

Another approach to consider is using a skiff or an inflatable with an electric trolling motor. Good for protected bays and for lakes and the flat bottom is perfect for a base for a tripod.

Also invest in an anchor and enough line to reach the bottom of the bay and a waterproof container for your cell phone.

There are also electric motors that attach to kayaks and provide paddle free and pedal free locomotion for hours.

Jun 05, 2019 at 06:36 PM
sealion2288
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

Old thread, but I think a Gheenoe would be the best all around platform for this and can be had used for the price of a used kayak. Can be paddled, rowed or outboard-gas and/or electric-powered and could be car-topped, although heavier than most yaks.

Jun 07, 2019 at 07:01 AM
juststeve
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

The Gheenoe looks to be an excellent shallow water fishing boat but not so well suited to wildlife photography where low and slow is likely to be most successful, both from the standpoint of vantage point and not scaring the bejeezus out of the wildlife.

Another line of kayaks which has not been mentioned is the Pokeboat. I looked into them last year but it appeared then the company had stopped production.

However, it appears another company has taken over the Pokeboat line of extremely light and strong kayaks. A photographer friend has a couple and swears by them. They are half the weight of my Pungo and he swears they are even easier paddling. They are pricey, made of aerospace materials, but may well be worth it. I hope to test paddle my friend's Pokeboats in the near future. The company handling the line now is called Aquacruisers. A 12-foot Pokeboat is listed at 18 pounds.

Jun 07, 2019 at 09:47 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

The pokeboat is fine for use on a freshwater lake but not something I would use in saltwater or where there is wind or current. Where i live it can be blowing at better than 15 knots and with a kayak one can either tack back and forth or paddle only on one side or use a rudder. I prefer the rudder which is much easier on the body.

The best platform is an 8' inflatable with an interior wood bottom as the side tubes keep the inside bottom dead level with zero rocking. Easy to set up a tripod and get shots that would not be possible from any paddle or rowed boat. Even lakes that ban outboards will allow the use of an electric trolling motor. It helps to be able to tow it on a trailer if one has a place to store it when not in use. Draft requirements are also less for an inflatable than any other boat, even a skiff, and this means being able to go into shallower waters.

I have used 4 inflatables from 8 ft to 15 feet and 4 paddle kayaks and an ocean dory and a scull and currently have a pair of Hobie Revo 13's with an ama attached. The inflatable was the best but get more exercise using the Revo kayaks.

There are also two companies that make excellent portable photo blinds that support a camera and lens on a ball head and provide a camo covering for the photographer who is half inside and half in the water. I have seen some amazing images of waterfowl and marine animals taken with very short focal length lenses to great effect.

Jun 10, 2019 at 05:53 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

I was curious if anyone has been crazy enough to go out on a paddle board, lying down to get a good low angle? I've considered it with a short paddle instead of the long ones used for standing and kneeling. It is fairly risky but kayak shots are too high off the water in a lot of scenarios. I want low, low, low

Jun 10, 2019 at 06:24 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

tshore wrote:
I am thinking of getting a kayak for wildlife photography. Anyone have any thoughts/experience on this? Features I should look/watch out for? Particular models? Thanks!

FWIW, I made this thread last year, so you might find some good tips there:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1554922/0

Jun 10, 2019 at 10:51 PM
aboutthelight
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

arbitrage wrote:
I was curious if anyone has been crazy enough to go out on a paddle board, lying down to get a good low angle? I've considered it with a short paddle instead of the long ones used for standing and kneeling. It is fairly risky but kayak shots are too high off the water in a lot of scenarios. I want low, low, low

This is the thing that has held me back from purchasing a kayak. Seems very hard to get at water angle. Maybe I am being too picky!

Jun 12, 2019 at 10:18 AM
Colin F
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

aboutthelight wrote:
This is the thing that has held me back from purchasing a kayak. Seems very hard to get at water angle. Maybe I am being too picky.

While it is nice to get our cameras right at water level for that magical look, it can only be achieved by either being on the shore with camera on the ground or on a pan-pod, or actually being in the water with chest waders with camera & lens on a tripod (or more precariously, hand-holding while being in the water). Floating blinds are great, but they also have your camera a ways up from the surface of the water.

But electing to not use a kayak just because you're not as low as possible is missing out on many potentially good shooting opportunities. Here's a few examples:

https://media.fotki.com/2v2JGMJ73xBSnFo.jpg

https://media.fotki.com/2v2ETecsUxBSnFo.png

https://media.fotki.com/2v2ETecFUxBSnFo.png

https://media.fotki.com/2v2ETewauxBSnFo.png

Jun 12, 2019 at 10:37 AM
sealion2288
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

juststeve wrote:
The Gheenoe looks to be an excellent shallow water fishing boat but not so well suited to wildlife photography where low and slow is likely to be most successful, both from the standpoint of vantage point and not scaring the bejeezus out of the wildlife.

Except for the Hi-Sider (obviously), the actual water level profile is virtually identical to any decently stable kayak. Besides, the human profile is much more likely to scare wildlife. With the gheenoe, one could actually sit on the floor and achieve the same profile and shooting angle as a kayak, along with a much more stable platform. I've had 4 different kayaks, including a 14' Wilderness Systems Pungo. I've never owned a gheenoe-but have been on one-so I'm not someone just trying prove and/or justify that what I use/bought is the best choice.

Jun 12, 2019 at 12:06 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Recommendations for a photography kayak?

arbitrage wrote:

buy a submarine!

Jun 12, 2019 at 12:56 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.