Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 2015 International Six Days Enduro (photos added)

Berkyboy
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2015 International Six Days Enduro (photos added)

It's ISDE time again!!

Thought I'd share some images from this year's International Six Days Enduro that was held in Kosice, Slovakia, located in far eastern Slovakia.

Be patient if you're interested in seeing more ISDE pictures as I'll update this thread with about 25 photos over the next day or so.

This year marked my 20th year as a photojournalist covering the event, my first year was in 1993. Over the years my images have been published in Cycle World, Cycle News, Dirt Rider, Dirt Bike, American Motorcyclist and Racer-X in print and electronic forms.

Like the last couple of years the images found within this Team USA ISDE thread are some of the proofs made available to the American Motorcyclist Association for use in their commemorative photo album that features one shot of each of the 32 American riders that rode in this year's ISDE as well as a couple dozen "B-roll" images that captures some of the ambiance that surrounds the event.

When I say proofs I mean that they are lightly processed in Lightroom and loosely cropped which leaves plenty of room for a copy editor to “tighten up” the images as they see fit.

I shoot the complete project in photo documentary style where the “strongest” images can stand on their own with the “lessor” images meant to be viewed as part of the whole photo project.

The greatest challenge for the photo book is coming up with 32 different images of each of the individual American riders with different set ups, back grounds etc. when you don't know which rider is even going to finish the six day event.

This year the US team lost 4 of its 32 riders during the six day endurance event unfortunately two came from the six-rider US Trophy Team and the other two came from the four-ride US Junior trophy Team which effectively put both teams out of contention for a podium finish in the team divisions.

US Trophy Team rider Ryan Sipes won the overall individual title, the first time a US rider has ever won the individual overall in the nearly 100 year history of the event (The US has been competing regularly at Six Days since the early 60’s.

I hope you enjoy the images.

Steve Berkner

© Berkyboy 2015

image 1

© Berkyboy 2015

image 2

© Berkyboy 2015

image 3

© Berkyboy 2015

image 4

© Berkyboy 2015

image 5

Edited on Dec 10, 2015 at 08:18 PM · View previous versions

Dec 06, 2015 at 10:08 PM
Berkyboy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2015 International Six Days Enduro (photos added)

For gear this year I "christened" a D7200 / MD-15 pairing it with a D4.

I carried 4 Nikkor lenses; a 17-35, 50mm (1.8g), 24-70 and a 70-200 (VrII).

The D7200 worked exceptionally well giving me that extra "1.5 DX reach" effectively giving me a 300mm perspective when teamed with the 70-200.

Due to extremely heavily canopied "wooded" trail sections a SB800 was used to either "Flash and Pan" or for "High Speed sync" fill flash.

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 6

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 7

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 8

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 9

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 10

Dec 06, 2015 at 10:19 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2015 International Six Days Enduro (photos added)

Great images and love the backstory! Looking forward to seeing more!

Paul

Dec 06, 2015 at 10:40 PM
Berkyboy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2015 International Six Days Enduro (photos added)

For those of you not familiar with ISDE competition it is a strictly "timed event" where the rider has to complete an approximately 150 mile course each day without being more than one minute "early" or "late" to any check point.

If they are "late" or "early" they are docked 60 penalty seconds for each minute they deviate from their assigned time schedule. There can be up to 10 checkpoints each day.

Their ultimate score is a sum of all penalty points plus their elapsed time from six special tests run each day which can be up to 10 miles long. These "tests" are all out sprints through terrain that can be difficult even to walk.

Once the event starts, typically three riders leave each minute until all the riders have entered the course. It can take up to 2 1/2 hours for all the riders to enter the course where each rider has the same "time schedule" to maintain.

Only the rider can "work" on their motorcycle other than they can receive "outside assistance" when refueling, changing oil or working on their brakes.

Each night the bikes are "impounded" in a secure area where they can not be retrieved by the rider until 10 minutes before their scheduled departure time the next morning. Again ONLY THE RIDER can work on their motorcycle or the rider is disqualified.

At the end of the day the riders have an extra 15 minutes to do maintenance which usually includes changing both tires, changing oil and making other needed repairs.

The rules state that each day needs to be at least 8 hours long where most of the mileage is from single track (think "cow trials") or two-track (think "jeep trails") off-road sections.

The energy level needed to be competitive has been described as like running six consecutive marathons, one each day for six days.

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 11

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 12

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 13

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 14

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 15

Dec 06, 2015 at 10:49 PM
Nuchuga
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2015 International Six Days Enduro (photos added)

2 and 6 are my favorites by FAR. Great group, hard to nail slow shutter speed and ya did a pretty good job!

Dec 09, 2015 at 05:32 PM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2015 International Six Days Enduro (photos added)

Nice job on these for sure.
Also happy to see the 2 stroke is still alive.

Great news for Ryan Sipes!!!

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:09 AM
jcmedeiros
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2015 International Six Days Enduro (photos added)

There are some very creative shots here. I am not always a fan of the super slow shutter speed pans. The extreme blurring can be distraction but I do like #6. Perhaps -2/3 FEC might make it look a bit more realistic.

#2, #4, #8 & #15 are my favorites

It was very nice to see that Ryan Sipes finally got an overall win for the USA.

Thanks for sharing.

Jay

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:19 PM
Berkyboy
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 2015 International Six Days Enduro (photos added)

Thanks for the comments.

Here's another set of images.

Image 16

Image 17

Image 18

Image 19

Image 20

Dec 10, 2015 at 08:13 PM
Berkyboy
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 2015 International Six Days Enduro (photos added)

Five more

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 21

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 22

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 23

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 24

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 25

Dec 10, 2015 at 08:16 PM
Berkyboy
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 2015 International Six Days Enduro (photos added)

jcmedeiros wrote:
It was very nice to see that Ryan Sipes finally got an overall win for the USA.

Thanks for sharing.

Jay

Ryan Sipes is such a class act, no attitude here, like a lot of off-road riders project, just a gentleman and currently an American off-road hero.

After tragically losing Kurt Caselli during the 2013 Baja 1000, a lot of us wondered who would take over as the international face of off-road motorcycle racing for the United States, Ryan Sipes is every bit that rider.

Some Images of Ryan are found below.

Steve

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 26

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 27

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 28

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 29

© Berkyboy 2015

Image 30

Dec 10, 2015 at 08:35 PM
jcmedeiros
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 2015 International Six Days Enduro (photos added)

Thanks for posting these shots of Ryan/USA - they're very nice.

He was a fantastic MX rider but this ISDT overall - it is at another level entirely. I hope he carries this strong momentum into a successful 2016 GNCC season with the Coastal Racing Husqvarna/Rockstar team. It will be interesting to see what is possible with a real team behind him.

Jay

Dec 11, 2015 at 08:41 AM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 2015 International Six Days Enduro (photos added)

Great work, like the wide variety..

Chris

Dec 11, 2015 at 08:55 AM
pappawheely
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 2015 International Six Days Enduro (photos added)

Great stuff, nice variety. I can tell you worked your butt off!

Dec 30, 2015 at 05:04 PM
ian408
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 2015 International Six Days Enduro (photos added)

Very nice ISDE shots! Thanks for posting.

Jan 12, 2016 at 01:25 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.