New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 10 degree Honeygrid for Profoto Softlight uses

pjny
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 10 degree Honeygrid for Profoto Softlight uses

Hi,

I just got the Profoto Softlight on ebay and would like to get a grid from Honeygrids for $169. I see they have a 25 and 10 degree grid.

Anyone use the 10 degree grid and for what purpose? I will be mainly using the softlighter for portraits and wondering what application 10 degree grid for the softlighter has been an asset.

Thanks.

BTW, do you prefer polycarbonate or aluminum? Most grids I had in the past were aluminum and I am worried the polycarbonate might break.

Dec 05, 2015 at 06:01 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 10 degree Honeygrid for Profoto Softlight uses

Grids simply add control to your lights---the degree is a matter of function and taste.

Aluminum grids are a better choice particularly when modeling lights are used---think heat resistance.

Dec 05, 2015 at 08:29 PM
pjny
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 10 degree Honeygrid for Profoto Softlight uses

I am using the B1 and acute b 600 units. will the modeling lights cause a probelm with polycarbonate grids?

in terms of 10 degree grid - any examples of usage w/ beauty dish available online?

Dec 05, 2015 at 09:07 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 10 degree Honeygrid for Profoto Softlight uses

I have a 25 degree, white, Honey grid for my Mola Demi and have no issues with the modeling lamp. I think the Mola is a l little deeper than the Soflite though. Certainly, a metal grid is going to be more durable than a plastic grid, but the Honeygrid is nice and lightweight also. I like that when using it with Quadra head.

Dec 06, 2015 at 12:17 PM
NFlux
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 10 degree Honeygrid for Profoto Softlight uses

AcuteB heads don't have a fan, so if you use it with the modeling light on continuously you will indeed melt things. B1 has a fan and an LED modeling light so you're in the clear there.

Edit - just get the Profoto grid. It has little tabs and snaps right into the lip of the dish. The tabs are covered in material that prevents scratching. My experience with 3rd party grids has been horrendous.

Dec 06, 2015 at 12:53 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.