Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · changing text/icon size in Windows?

buggz2k
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · changing text/icon size in Windows?

Hello,

I just bought an NEC PA272W-BK monitor.
LOVE it!
Though, I noticed, and have read previously, that the text and icon sizes are VERY small.
This forces me to get closer to the dispaly than I like.
I did change the settings in the Control Panel-Display -
from - Smaller 100%
to - Medium 125%
This makes things much better for me.

The question I have is, are there any adverse or bad side effects of doing this?
All the apps I have tried seem to work okay at this setting.
I am giving up "real estate" area by changing to this size?
The resolution of the dispaly still reports - 2560x1440.

Dec 05, 2015 at 11:38 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · changing text/icon size in Windows?

you're not changing the display resolution, you're seeing the natural consequence of more pixels. Ask a 4K owner how big their text is by default.

Dec 05, 2015 at 12:10 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · changing text/icon size in Windows?

There are potential problems when using old programs that write directly to the screen instead of via Windows, or use fixed fonts instead of scalable fonts. The text can end up being bigger than the boxes or windows that contain it, and can get trashed by other parts of the program interface.

Ps is an old program. It does not use the Windows scaling and only recently introduced an interface option for selecting large or small text and icons and menus.

The thing to realise is that the concept of lifesize reproduction on-screen is now history. Very rarely is 100% actually 100%. The page size in Office will no longer match the actual page size.

In terms of photos, the biggest problem is being able to see them with no scaling - i.e. with each image pixel occupying one screen pixel. A lot of programs cannot do it. Some are messed up by the Windows scaling. Some are messed up by trying to match physical sizes instead of pixel counts. Web browsers get it wrong even when set to 100%. On top of that they won't let you scale images and text independently of each other, so making tiny text bigger generally spoils the pictures.

A lot of software is written on the assumption of 110 pixels per inch displays. Windows assumes 96 ppi. Browsers might assume 100ppi. I hate those ppi levels. I like using 185ppi on my Dell 24" 4k screen, and 216ppi on my Surface Pro 3. Little photos, icons and text can look too small but the bigger photos look really great with no visible chunkiness caused by the display technology.

You might wonder what is wrong with scaling the displayed size up or down. The biggest issue is that we don't have control over what does the scaling or how it is done. That can mask real issues within the photo, or create apparent issues where there aren't any.

As for real estate and screen resolution, they remain unchanged because they are locked in by the physical LCD grid pattern that makes up the screen. What changes is the content that is displayed on the screen pixels. That content is altered (or maybe not, depending on the software) as the subject matter is mapped to the available screen pixels by a combination of hardware and software.

- Alan

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:48 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.