New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · A plethora of choices, there is the rub

jtbold
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A plethora of choices, there is the rub

My name is Jeff and I have GAS. Not so much in adding gear, but instead just changing out looking for "the" camera. I started with a fuji x-t1 when they first came out, living in seattle the weather sealing was great... now I live in Denver, wanted full frame so I moved from Fuji to a nikon d610 - man the pictures were great but just too big of a package. Time for my second x-t1, more or less a rinse and repeat... wanted full frame so I went back to nikon, this time with a DF, along with a fuji x-t10. Should mention that were a half dozen leicas and fuji x100's along the way. If you want you can follow the whole sordid trip on the sales forum. Oh and a couple of infrared cameras too. Today I am meeting a guy to get a sony a7II in the morning, and another guy for a leica m9 in the afternoon.

Guess you could say I have a problem, or more money than sense - or both. Then again I used to do the same thing with watches, cameras are Way cheaper.

Heres the rub, I love the size of the fuji cameras the feel and such fit my girl scout hands like a glove. I was all set to put my df and half dozen or so lenses up on the sales board and get another, wait for it, x-t1 - when I took some pictures in my home office in fairly low light, which are below. To be honest the difference shocked me, I used the same ISO and f-stop, pretty close on the framing. The fuji even had a lens advantage in that I stuck on the new 35mm f2 that everybody is raving about while the nikon had a zoom. Both are straight out of the camera jpeg, hate messing with raw.

This brings me to my question - should I get a pentax 645D? Kidding, kind of.. I read of guys who have one camera... like an extension of their hand. Kind of like bird hunters, some have one gun that they shoot like a master, don't even want to think about everything in my gun safe (safe's). Am I just missing the one camera for me, or am I not that way? You know you give a great photographer a holga and he will make art, Levinson Wood walked the nile with a leica alone and brought back amazing pictures. I just don't know.

Dec 05, 2015 at 09:02 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A plethora of choices, there is the rub

It might help to understand your purpose. I suspect subjects are more than just the Rolodex-looking thing, but maybe not. I would not build a medium format system for jpegs.

Of course if you just like collecting gear, then go ahead. I can't really relate to that, but I know it exists.

EBH

Dec 05, 2015 at 09:26 AM
jtbold
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A plethora of choices, there is the rub

I just like to take pictures, that's a book my daughter folded - was surprised by the difference in low light performance. Lots of landscapes, old barns and buildings along with indoor horse jumping shots. It might be that I am asking too much of a single camera "type" for all that?

Dec 05, 2015 at 09:33 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A plethora of choices, there is the rub

If you "just like to take pictures" ----which really is what photography is about----simply go out and get the camera(s) that allow you that enjoyment and best fulfill the photographic experience.

Life is short.

Dec 05, 2015 at 09:53 AM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A plethora of choices, there is the rub

From the exif data, the fuji is almost 1 stop underexposed compared to the nikon.

Dec 05, 2015 at 10:13 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A plethora of choices, there is the rub

What exactly are you trying to show with your images. I see the Fuji is under exposed by a stop. How were you metering these shots?

Also sooc jpegs does not mean anything. The cameras have configuration setting for their jpegs so this type of comparison is really meaningless. If you want to shoot jpeg, then I suggest you figure out the optimal jpeg settings in both cameras and then compare their outputs.

Dec 05, 2015 at 10:19 AM
jtbold
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A plethora of choices, there is the rub

I figured the Fuji was underexposed, but that's what it chose. I guess I could set the dial on the Fuji to +1 and try again.

Dec 05, 2015 at 10:32 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A plethora of choices, there is the rub

Focus on your photography more. Experiences are more satisfying and will make you happier.

Dec 05, 2015 at 12:25 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A plethora of choices, there is the rub

If money is not a problem, I would get the new Leica S-007 and a set of S lenses. Otherwise, I would, like others said here, concentrate on photography. Here is some of the best right now in the FF world:

Best low light: A7SII
Best DR: D810
Highest MP: 5DSR
Best EVF: Leica SL

Personally, I would go with the A7RII. It's not the best of any category above, but it's one of the best for my needs . Forget the compromised Fuji or the DF.

Dec 05, 2015 at 01:12 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A plethora of choices, there is the rub

If your photos were ment to compare cameras....then each image needs to be
exposed the same at the equal focal length for you to ponder which one.....
having different exposure settings proves almost nothing.....

Dec 06, 2015 at 07:27 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A plethora of choices, there is the rub

Oh to be in your position where money seems disposable.

Buy 2 Leica M9's and a 35 Cron and 90 ASPH and rule the world.

Or a couple of a A7r II's...

Or 2 X-T1's and be happy.

Or a Nikon F5...

Or an EOS-1N RS...

Dec 06, 2015 at 08:36 PM
bobmcg
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A plethora of choices, there is the rub

Keep the Df. It's the most fun camera I've ever used. Love the D4 files. If you are not shooting sports, you don't need anything else. Get out and shoot and learn to love that camera for what it is.

Dec 06, 2015 at 10:11 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A plethora of choices, there is the rub

jtbold wrote:
I just like to take pictures, that's a book my daughter folded - was surprised by the difference in low light performance. Lots of landscapes, old barns and buildings along with indoor horse jumping shots. It might be that I am asking too much of a single camera "type" for all that?

Your exposures are all over the place, so I don't find that test very meaningful.

There is probably no do it all camera, but the D810 is quite good for general use. Then add a D4s for the low light action if the DF is too slow for you.

EBH

Dec 06, 2015 at 11:54 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A plethora of choices, there is the rub

dgdg wrote:
Focus on your photography more. Experiences are more satisfying and will make you happier.

+1

And, I'll mention that you are WAY to focused on cameras, the least important thing in photography.

Kent in SD

Dec 07, 2015 at 12:03 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.