New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Until it fades away...

doubleuely
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Until it fades away...

curious to hear some critiques and comments on this photo. I didn't really like it in color or b&w so I decided to do a sepia effect to it.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/670/23492552596_48e50f1237_h.jpg

Edited on Dec 04, 2015 at 01:10 PM · View previous versions

Dec 04, 2015 at 12:20 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Until it fades away...

Well I guess this is intended to be either abstract or something so I can't say much in that regard. When I saw contrails in the title, I expected to get a question about how to remove them, but I see it is the actual subject.

When I saw the sky color, I first thought there was a problem with color cast until I read sepia effect.

The contrail is sharp, the foreground is OOF, obviously on purpose and for effect.

That's what I see. Don't take this as a critique or a suggestion, I never get abstracts, too much of a realist, but not so much that I dislike it, I just don't get it, which I assume is my fault.

Dec 04, 2015 at 12:51 PM
doubleuely
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Until it fades away...

I guess what grabbed my attention was how well the trail stood out amongst all the trees that were in the way, which is why I took the photograph and tried to include as many of the tree branches in the photo.

And I also like the relation of the curvy blurry branches against the sharp straight contrail. I guess it is an abstract photo...

Dec 04, 2015 at 01:20 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Until it fades away...

I think it's cool! Very similar to what Keith was talking about in this thread.

Not a big fan of the toning, though.

I've got a slight rework below with a desat, contrast boost, unsharp mask and tighter crop.

If you do not want your image reworked please let me know and I'll take it down!

Cheers!

Jeff

Dec 04, 2015 at 01:36 PM
doubleuely
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Until it fades away...

I definitely like the edit you did, the crop especially. Makes it pop just a bit more.

Dec 04, 2015 at 02:32 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Until it fades away...

Glad you dig it! Lots of opposing factors in this shot.

Jeff

Dec 04, 2015 at 02:41 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Until it fades away...

What was your intention when you took this? What story are you telling the viewer? I find it to be extremely busy with conflicting points of view. Nothing grabs your attention. Sorry, I don't care for the image. Jim

Dec 04, 2015 at 02:48 PM
doubleuely
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Until it fades away...

If you are going to post, then critique. You're asking questions without looking for answers to help in anyway. I'm sorry the image doesn't speak to you and that you don't care for it. Maybe you should just stick to photographing plastic ants on your kitchen counter cause that tells such a story!

Dec 04, 2015 at 03:33 PM
doubleuely
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Until it fades away...

and maybe it isn't a good photograph at all, but that is why I posted it in this forum.

Dec 04, 2015 at 03:39 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Until it fades away...

doubleuely wrote:
If you are going to post, then critique. You're asking questions without looking for answers to help in anyway. I'm sorry the image doesn't speak to you and that you don't care for it. Maybe you should just stick to photographing plastic ants on your kitchen counter cause that tells such a story!

Critique is defined as a detailed analysis and assessment of something. To do this I need to understand your goal in taking the image. Was it a snap-shot, an image of the jet stream or was the out of focus branches meant to represent something. You are new to FM and new to the critique forum, therefore you are not familiar with how it works. If all you are after is positive affirmation than show your wife. As for my "Ant"; First thank you for looking at the image. Second, what was my purpose, goal in shooting this. My intent was to present an image that met the assignment (Bug). Then I wanted to draw the attention to the ant through the use of light & OOF flowers. It was intentionally shot on the dark side to enhance the lighting effect. When I felt I had obtained that I entered the image. Now, if you have not cast your vote I would appreciate it. Sorry you took offense but if you are going to survive on FM you need to toughen up and consider people are trying to help you, not hinder you. Jim

Dec 04, 2015 at 03:59 PM
doubleuely
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Until it fades away...

For me it was a snap shot, of something that was not permanent and stood out to me. Enhanced by the OOF tree branches, it popped out at me and made me think about how cool planes are and their abilities to go from one place and point in time to another very quickly.

Airplanes are not only an artificial thing but they create unique events and moments that are artificial and only last for so long. Capturing that unique moment in time of the event before it was gone, from my POV, is what my intent was to photograph and portray to others.

edit: I hope that makes sense.

Dec 04, 2015 at 04:48 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Until it fades away...

doubleuely wrote:
For me it was a snap shot, of something that was not permanent and stood out to me. Enhanced by the OOF tree branches, it popped out at me and made me think about how cool planes are and their abilities to go from one place and point in time to another very quickly.

Airplanes are not only an artificial thing but they create unique events and moments that are artificial and only last for so long. Capturing that unique moment in time of the event before it was gone, from my POV, is what my intent was to photograph
...Show more

Makes perfect sense. Everybody is unique in how they perceive an image, or what they get out of it. When I first started here I was told to sell my camera. The individual said the image sucked. I thought it was good but have since learned that it did suck. Never allow anybody to discourage your visions but keep in mind not everybody will see what you do. Endeavor to persevere even when someone dislikes your image. As for this image might I suggest that the limbs are a distraction, in my opinion. I believe a clean image against a blue sky would have drawn the individual in. Also remember the rule of thirds and composition can make, or brake, an image. Jim

Dec 04, 2015 at 05:15 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Until it fades away...

oldrattler wrote:
Critique is defined as a detailed analysis and assessment of something. To do this I need to understand your goal in taking the image. Was it a snap-shot, an image of the jet stream or was the out of focus branches meant to represent something. You are new to FM and new to the critique forum, therefore you are not familiar with how it works. If all you are after is positive affirmation than show your wife. As for my "Ant"; First thank you for looking at the image. Second, what was my purpose, goal in shooting this. My intent
...Show more

Big +1 here!

Jim isn't bashing you or your photograph - he's just stating his opinion and why he thinks that way. And what he is looking for from you, as the photographer, is what your goal for the image is. That will help him direct his critique in a direction that could most benefit you. Even if you don't agree with what is said, the different perspective/idea/opinion very well might make something click either with this shot or something down the road.

Kent (Rustybug) has a wonderful phrase that he uses to describe this section of the forum, "Iron sharpens iron". When you post here, you WANT people to find every little problem with a shot so you can make for an optimal result. Will you take every piece of advice and put it to use? Probably not! But the discourse is what this is all about.

When critique goes right, everyone benefits. But you've got a have the right mindset going into it.

This is a FANTASTIC place to learn, and help others learn. Like Jim mentioned, the idea of this place isn't to get pats on the back but to get better. That is what the Presentation sections are for!

I hope this helps clear some confusion and that you continue to post at FM - you won't regret it.

Cheers!

Jeff

Dec 04, 2015 at 05:15 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Until it fades away...

More on critique. Not all of us are trained critics, I certainly am not. So I am reduced to saying how an image affects me. What I like, what I don't like and any obvious technical issue I can see like color or focus as example.

Criticism is usually subjective, so like and not like are valid forms.

Dec 04, 2015 at 05:24 PM
doubleuely
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Until it fades away...

Thank you both for your time and posts. Only looking to improve and know that getting a pat on the back will never sharpen my skills of taking photographs and grabbing the attention of viewers.

I am a new member here but have been a member at Nikonians for 8 or 9 years. Although I still post there I feel there is much more action here and I will be able to get more critique and criticism to help me learn.

Dec 04, 2015 at 05:29 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Until it fades away...

oldrattler wrote:
When I first started here I was told to sell my camera.

Hey, I think I remember that.
And, I thought it a bit pretentious / arrogant back then, but was a newbie here myself at the time. Hopefully, we've grown since then too. Actually, it was a bit of a catalyst for my recognition regarding the PC Forum / WA / MA grouping towards growth.

I also remember thinking at a later point in time that Jim had caught my attention as an awesome candidate for "most improved". Actually, we've seen several folks come through this way that could lay claim to that at one time or another.

+1 @ Welcome to FM and the PC Forum. FM ROCKS !!!

As to the image itself, I get how Jim found it conflicting regarding "What's the point?" or "What is the message that you are trying to convey to your viewer(s)?"

I know that the title is about the contrails, and they are the part that is in focus. However, the amount of mass in the image given to the branches, serves to compete with the contrails, so it can readily pull a viewer to the branches. That (imo) is what gives it the "confusing" part for a viewer. By that, it can have the viewer asking themselves if there is supposed to be something about the branches or is it just a lot of extraneous content.

I have probably driven the "question" aspect of intent of an image as much (or more) than most folks. Sometimes an image is rather clear as to what the intent / message was created to be. Other times, it isn't as clear to the viewer, and the viewer may need more help than the creator may have otherwise considered. After all, the creator already knows the answers (or should), so in those instances that it might be unclear to a viewer, the creator may need to render a little more help than they otherwise may have thought necessary ... i.e. a little help please.

In the PC Forum (notice Fred has grouped it along with the WA & MA forums as learning / growth advocacy), we do aspire to understand (i.e. ask questions), so that we can offer prudent input as best we can (still retaining our own subjective perspectives) and that we might learn from one another, as Jeff mentions, in the discourse of things. That isn't meant to be taken as snarky (like some internet sites), but honest inquiry and / or a prompt for reflection from others. Also, as mentioned ... we offer to share, but in the end, it is always your choice to use or lose anything offered up. We just offer up extra set(s) of eyes and minds in the spirit of aspiring to give meaningful input for others to ... "choose to use" or "choose to lose" for their own benefit.

In most regards, I think you'll find a genuine spirit of "Iron Sharpens Iron" among the active participants of the PC Forum ... one which I hope you'll find useful as each of us continues to grow in our own regard as well.

As always ... your pic, your message, your call.

Again, welcome to the FM and the PC Forum.

FM ROCKS !!!

Here's my take ...

Dec 04, 2015 at 05:49 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.