Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · TIF files will not open "...because Photoshop does not recognize th...

phil hawkins
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · TIF files will not open "...because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file."

What a pain in the ass. All of a sudden, this starts. Any ideas? These are tif files that I have opened with Bridge to Photoshop by double-clicking 1000 times. Now, it won;t open them.

Also, if I drag and drop these into the Photoshop workspace from Bridge they open.

Dec 03, 2015 at 04:10 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · TIF files will not open "...because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file."

Trashing your Photoshop prefs is always the first step in curing PS weirdness. You will lose certain customizations so save a copy in case this doesn't fix it.

Dec 03, 2015 at 04:16 PM
phil hawkins
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · TIF files will not open "...because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file."

I did all that, uninstalled and re-installed and that helped some, but images from pre-2013 will not open. I get a tiny icon at the center of the workspace and the tif file has been renamed a png file. Or, a file will open that had nothing to do with the file I wanted to open; not even the same file name. Or, I get the error message about not recognizing the file type.

All this started after I upgraded to El Cap OS, and the "new" Photoshop 2015, just released this week (Late Nov. 2015).

I think Adobe rushed this release. REALLY buggy.

Dec 03, 2015 at 05:39 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · TIF files will not open "...because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file."

Yikes. Well, not being fluent in Mac I'll leave it to someone else to take it from here. My instinct would be to roll back your OS or PS or both.

Dec 03, 2015 at 08:05 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · TIF files will not open "...because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file."

Phil - When did those files last open and when did you last change ANYTHING on your system? What version of Ps are you using and what OS version? Will the files open in an older version of Ps? Can you boot into an older OS and try there too?

If you've moved to a new version of Bridge and/or Ps, you will probably have to update your file associations for both programs. In Bridge Preferences, there is a tab where you can tell Bridge which program to open a file type in as the default. For the system, you click once on any file, then Cmd-I (get info) and update permissions and file associations there, then click on the option to do the same for all files of that type.

Re-reading your post, it does sound like a file association issue.

Dec 03, 2015 at 10:20 PM
AceCo55

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · TIF files will not open "...because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file."

Thank you for bothering to come back and post your solution.
I'm sure that will help others in the future.

Dec 09, 2015 at 04:55 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.