New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · D4 to D4s or ?

RKnecht
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D4 to D4s or ?

Really would like to hear of some real world experiences from those who made the move. I am an event photographer and at the last 4 events I covered I found myself shooting at ISO 25,600 with my D4 (the D3 stayed in the bag this time). Whereas I found the files totally usable, the AF was hit or miss. Have those who made the switch found any remarkable improvements in the D4s AF over the D4. I searched the web and found PLENTY of reviews and comparisons, but they are always done outside in great light where my D4 really doesn't have any AF issues.

I am on the fence about making the switch to a 1Dx as I have read about how you can really tweak the AF. However, at this point, I would have to sell all my glass and reinvest into a totally new system. Something I really don't have the time to do. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 03, 2015 at 08:08 AM
hjanssen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D4 to D4s or ?

What focussing method do you use? I have with a Dsevenhunderd no roblem with focussing at these isoos with only one AF point, with the exeption of these at utmost left or right. This with very big apertures, but even with a five.six Tamron it works till twelfthousandeighthunderd.

Dec 03, 2015 at 09:01 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D4 to D4s or ?

what were you shooting and what pattern were you using?

a 1Dx? you might not want to go there.

90% of AF issues are user issues. the photographer is in control of the camera and still must decide which pattern is going to do the most for them under the circumstances they are in.

in this shot I ended up using a single point due to the "shoot through the slot" was needed.

Edited on Dec 03, 2015 at 09:16 AM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2015 at 09:09 AM
RKnecht
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D4 to D4s or ?

I shoot dog agility events. Dogs coming at me erratically seem to be the biggest challenge for the D4. I shoot shutter priority (1/640-1/1000), single or 9pt with AF lock either set at 1 or off, with the ISO set at 25,600. Apertures at these values range from F2-F5.6, depending on the day (sunny or rainy). Lens being used is the 200F2 VR.

FWIW, I've had the D4 since it was introduced and the AF is much better than my D3. AF on the D4 is usually spot on, except in these low light venues.

Dec 03, 2015 at 09:16 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D4 to D4s or ?

why shutter priority? you DOF can vary quite a bit and things can go in and out of focus quickly.

you are capable of controlling your ISO (I use a range on auto iso) and minimum speed before it changes in your ISO sensitivity settings. I much prefer to shoot a moving object (for me a Frisbee (highly erratic fast sport) or bicycle racing) and control the DOF myself. this gives me a bit more latitude control in a shot.

remember who used to catch those Frisbees.

Dec 03, 2015 at 09:23 AM
RKnecht
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D4 to D4s or ?

I usually shoot in manual at F2 and auto ISO, but at the last few trials, I tried shutter priority and a set ISO and it seemed to work much better for my needs. If the DOF creeps up to say, F4, I'm ok with that. My main issue is AF tracking. These places are dark. Lit by crappy lights covered in dust/dirt (horse arena). The D4s has group dynamic which I used on my D2x all the time with great results. When I bought the D3 (and the D4), I was a little disappointed that Nikon left that mode out and was a little pissed that it returned with the D4s.

Here is a sample shot taken at 25,600, 1/640, F3.5 and the 200/2 on the D4:

http://www.richknechtphotography.com/photos/i-Zvfhf3d/0/L/i-Zvfhf3d-L.jpg

Dec 03, 2015 at 09:44 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D4 to D4s or ?

for me its simple:

aperture priority where I control the DOF

set the minimum shutter speed that I expect to use and then auto iso to maintain it because the D4 and D4s have a really good tolerance to noise.

Dec 03, 2015 at 10:17 AM
RKnecht
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D4 to D4s or ?

sjms wrote:
for me its simple:

aperture priority where I control the DOF

set the minimum shutter speed that I expect to use and then auto iso to maintain it because the D4 and D4s have a really good tolerance to noise.

I'll give that a try this weekend. It's my last trial of the year before we head to Florida for a much needed 3 week vacation. On a side note, did you have a D4 and then go to the "s"? Was it worth it if you did?

Dec 03, 2015 at 10:27 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D4 to D4s or ?

yes I did go from the D4 to the D4s. there were minor upgrades to the the AF system on the s version. I was given an offer that no sane person would refuse to go to the s at the time.

Dec 03, 2015 at 04:12 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D4 to D4s or ?

sjms wrote:
yes I did go from the D4 to the D4s. there were minor upgrades to the the AF system on the s version. I was given an offer that no sane person would refuse to go to the s at the time.

Who said you were sane

Dec 03, 2015 at 04:57 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D4 to D4s or ?

true that.

Dec 03, 2015 at 06:00 PM
clew
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D4 to D4s or ?

Good sense of humor too!

sjms wrote:
true that.

Dec 04, 2015 at 01:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D4 to D4s or ?

that highly depends on the day and the direction things come from

we're all bozo's on this bus. so, lets all do the neurotic

Dec 04, 2015 at 07:30 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.