New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Wide angle lenses for FF & APS-c Canon bodies

denzar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wide angle lenses for FF & APS-c Canon bodies

I m looking for wide angle zoom lenses for both FF/ APS cameras; ı read good reviews for tokina but how would be on FF ? And any other experience , thanks ..

Dec 03, 2015 at 07:05 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wide angle lenses for FF & APS-c Canon bodies

alt wides for FF and APS are two totally different ballgames. Do you want it to actually be wide on Canon APS-C?
If so, just get the Canon 10-18 EF-S. Image quality is unbelievable for the cost, and the lens weighs nothing.
For FF, there are a thousand options depending on budget, focus direction preference, adapter requirements....

Dec 03, 2015 at 01:25 PM
JR Photo
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wide angle lenses for FF & APS-c Canon bodies

To speak directly to the OP's question of FF/crop Tokina lenses. I have a 60D and a 6D. Many would say that the best budget choice would be the EFs 10-18 for crop and the EF 16-35 f/4. I would mostly agree. But to take a look at the Tokina I think that we need to see a need to go to 10mm for crop. I don't see a good choice for dual use.

In my case I bought the 6D to shoot land-scapes with so my Canon UWA for the 60D would not work. I would love to have the 16-35 f/4 or better yet 11-24 EF f/4.

My compromise was the Tokina f/2.8 16-28. Weighty but sharp and used generally very budget friendly. My friend bought a used Tokina 11-16 for his crop.

Lots of used deep discounted UWA glass out there. Good shopping.

J. R.

Dec 03, 2015 at 01:54 PM
U.C.
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wide angle lenses for FF & APS-c Canon bodies

11-24L: extremely wide on FF, really wide on aps-c
Sigma 12-24: almost as wide, much cheaper, no optical wonder like the 11-24L.

Dec 03, 2015 at 02:42 PM
trogdon
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wide angle lenses for FF & APS-c Canon bodies

The sigma 12-24mm is the only wide zoom lens (other than the $3k 11-24mm canon) that can be considered ultra wide on APS-C and full frame that properly covers the entire full frame sensor

Dec 03, 2015 at 03:16 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wide angle lenses for FF & APS-c Canon bodies

If you want a lens that will work on a full frame then look at the EF (not EF-S) compatible lenses. An EF-S can work on FF, but you may have vignetting in the corners or borders at the widest range.

An EF will work on APS-C bodies too.

A couple things to add, does it matter what the aperture needs to be? Do you need 2.8 or faster? Can you get away with 4 or 5.6? If you need a large aperture lens then it limits your options. If it doesn't matter, you have a lot more to pick from.

Dec 04, 2015 at 07:28 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.