New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Photo Course Assessment Advice Please/3

Benedictine
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo Course Assessment Advice Please/3

And the final set of possible! Cheers & thanks.

Dec 03, 2015 at 06:04 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo Course Assessment Advice Please/3

You've taken a diverse and interesting set of images. Before commenting, it might be helpful to know what your assignment was. Are they being judged individually, or as a connected group with a common thread. If you're looking for a detailed critique, it might be best to post one or two images at a time.

Dec 03, 2015 at 09:04 AM
Benedictine
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo Course Assessment Advice Please/3

I simply have to submit 10 photographs that represent my portfolio and suggest a 'running order'—at this stage all I am interested in is getting critical advice on the photographs especially whether or not they can be improved in any way what appeals and what does not appeal, any glaring mistakes or faults? Does this help?

Dec 03, 2015 at 09:28 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo Course Assessment Advice Please/3

+1 @ Steve

It is challenging to evaluate multiple images like this, but I'll summarize by saying that I see components in your shooting that suggest you are in the process of developing a good eye. Some more strongly than others, but I think the overall set shows your head is in the game ... while some suggest you were merely trying to fulfill a requirement.

It looks like the bevy of diversity is being tasked by the assignment ... i.e. wax on, wax off ... to see how you approach things. Understanding (i.e. assuming) that to be the case, then to me it looks like about 60% of them show your hand and about 40% seem to be just going through the motions. Which, imo for an assignment of diversity still lets me know that you have the ability to apply your hand ... even if you grew kinda weary along the way on the others.

(7)

(4)(5)
(10)

(13)
(14)

Still thinking ...

I think I've got them ordered / "grouped" a bit (i..e people, landscape, abstract/macro, etc.) with the (#) being indication of the 40% 'ers as it strikes me at the moment.

Edited on Dec 03, 2015 at 09:58 AM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2015 at 09:38 AM
Benedictine
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photo Course Assessment Advice Please/3

Thanks RustyBug, that is helpful. Are you able to say which ones you think fall into the 40% please? I could then look more closely at them. Cheers.

Dec 03, 2015 at 09:44 AM
PeterP1D
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photo Course Assessment Advice Please/3

I generally agree with Kent's classificiation. #2 stands our for me and I might try and play around with crops on the left side of #11 as I find the sky distracts my eye from being drawn in by the warm light and opening.

Dec 03, 2015 at 10:52 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photo Course Assessment Advice Please/3

Yes, I like #2 also.

#1 begs the question for me regarding the skin tone. At first glance, I'm not sure if that is the fingers from two different people, or is it just different lighting / processing. Upon further study, it looks to be the former.

On a technical note, #11 has quite a bit of fringing CA that I'd look to address. It looks pretty soft in some areas also. Might make a candidate for a mono conversion, and maybe even some grain for mood / mask of technical issues.

# 12 - Mono Candidate

Edited on Dec 03, 2015 at 12:51 PM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2015 at 11:04 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photo Course Assessment Advice Please/3

1,3,5,10 are the ones that stand out for me and in about that order.

Dec 03, 2015 at 11:24 AM
Benedictine
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photo Course Assessment Advice Please/3

Thank you for all of your helpful replies I really appreciate you taking the time. Cheers.

Dec 04, 2015 at 12:36 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.