New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Photo Course Assessment Advice Please/1

Benedictine
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo Course Assessment Advice Please/1

I am about to complete a final assignment for a photography course which entails submitting 10 images that I have taken. To help me do this I would very much appreciate honest comments on these photographs if folk would be so kind. I am especially interested in not only whether or not they are attractive to people but also on technical aspects including framing, exposure and really anything else that would be helpful. If there are any problems that you can see please also comment on these. I will be posting another set for comments. Many thanks to anyone who feels that they can help me in this. Cheers.

Dec 03, 2015 at 05:58 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo Course Assessment Advice Please/1

What are the details of the "final assignment"?
Scott

Dec 03, 2015 at 08:56 AM
Benedictine
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo Course Assessment Advice Please/1

I simply have to submit 10 photographs that represent my portfolio and suggest a 'running order'—at this stage all I am interested in is getting critical advice on the photographs especially whether or not they can be improved in any way what appeals and what does not appeal, any glaring mistakes or faults? Does this help?

Dec 03, 2015 at 09:27 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo Course Assessment Advice Please/1

Bennie,

Gonna rally off some quick thoughts with the number of photos presented and not having a real "theme" to go off of.

1 - Is this noise intended? Too much space on the top/left/bottom.

2 - I think you've got a little too much at the top and bottom here. Too much of the far wall/room (staircase appears to be your subject of focus) and too many stairs at the bottom. Maybe meet in the middle and include some of both so that the eyes will start at the bottom of the stairs and then naturally will climb them and then are brought over to the left by the detail of the far walls - exit through the windows upper-left. Was the noise intended in this as well? Looks like you can recover some detail those highlights.

3 - Fantastic detail! Processing looks good, I could see a midton contrast/sharpness boost doing you well. Has this been cropped? Do you have room to recrop? Personally I'd move the eye closer to the upper-left and create a line going down the snout.

4 - Harsh light to contend with and too much room up top. Subjects backs are facing us, so they aren't terribly engaging. In this case I'd like to get a good view of where they've been or where they are heading, but unfortunately it's difficult to see either.

5 - Lack of good light here and huge hotspot on the right. The shot looks soft, especially around the face and hand.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Jeff

Dec 04, 2015 at 03:32 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photo Course Assessment Advice Please/1

All images appear to be soft, with excessive noise, in my opinion. They are a good cross representative but none stand out. Consider posting one image at a time for better feedback. Jim

Dec 04, 2015 at 05:25 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photo Course Assessment Advice Please/1

oldrattler wrote:
All images appear to be soft, with excessive noise, in my opinion.

+1 @ many look to be processed to a similar vibe. Although, part of that also catches my eye @ the small sensor camera being used in the DMC, so I'm wondering if there is a bit of lemonade taking place. I tried to look past that a bit, but Jim is talking about the elephant in the room for some of the images here, I think.

Not sure if it is intent, gear limiting or skill limiting ... so I tried to focus on the other attributes.

Dec 04, 2015 at 08:09 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photo Course Assessment Advice Please/1

1. Great subject, nice detail, like the contrast. The falloff into darkness is too extreme and the hands feels cut off, disembodied.
2. similar to Jeff's reaction. I think there is too much competition between the stairs and architectural detail in the back. What is your primary subject and how can you lead to it or contain the eye there? Is it the stairs/walls or the structure? Some choices, cropping needed. I like the toning and sketched look of the processing both of which seem well suited to the subject
3. Again, including too much. Where do you want the eye to go (both the viewers' and the horse's?). I would crop a bit from the left, and about half way from the right through the white patch. Processing is good but I wish you had more DOF on the left, even with a crop there.
4. Over-sharpened. No engagement with the subject.
5. Cluttered scene. a bit soft, I can imagine it being an important and memorable event but it would be nice to have a bit more story in the image. A peak off the left to the stage, crowd, lights, etc.

Scott

Dec 04, 2015 at 09:39 PM
Benedictine
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photo Course Assessment Advice Please/1

Thanks guys for all of your answers, this is proving to be really most helpful. Cheers.

Dec 05, 2015 at 12:35 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.