Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Newbie...Product Photography Lens choices (HELP!)

Brenson

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Newbie...Product Photography Lens choices (HELP!)

I'm some what of a newbie and I need some lens suggestions for product photography. My camera is a Canon T5i. I have tried using a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens....but I did not like being far away from my products as the EF lens actually ended up being a 160mm lens on my crop sensor camera. I like being about 1 to 4 feet away from what I am shooting. The EF series lenses are meant for full frame cameras, they are also out of my price range.... I need the EF-S lens type.

I would prefer a lens made by a company other than Canon so I can save money and still get a decent quality lens.

What lens size should I get for a super clear (100% blur free) image? The products range from a deck of cards size to gallon jug size. I try to let products fill 50-85% of the image.

I would highly appreciate any help I could get!

BTW, my macro 100mm L lens is listed in the 'Buy and Sell' thread.

Dec 01, 2015 at 09:52 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Newbie...Product Photography Lens choices (HELP!)

I'd recommend EF24-70/f4 L IS. It's versatile with very good macro capability.

Dec 01, 2015 at 10:30 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Newbie...Product Photography Lens choices (HELP!)

It looks like Canon has a rather well priced 60mm EF-S macro. 50-60mm, f/2.8 to f/4 lenses have been excellent for forty years, so I have no reason to doubt that the Canon 60mm is anything less, although I admit that I haven't looked at it.

As an admitted newbie, I'll say this as gently as I can: if you want 100% blur free, you want a lower resolution camera. Between depth of field and diffraction, you're going to get blur at high resolution, regardless of whether you're spending $100 or $100,000 on the camera and lens. The trick is to use light and shadow to create apparent sharpness, even when resolution is relatively low (or, depending on what you want to achieve, vice versa).

My recommendation is to get that Canon lens (or something comparable), commit to working with it for six months to two years, and during that time note what problems you have with the camera and the lens. Don't try to fix them; do try to work around them; but note them so that, the next time you're in the market, you can identify the lens you want and the best (for your needs) camera to go with it.

Cheers,
Jon

Dec 01, 2015 at 11:13 PM
banpreso
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Newbie...Product Photography Lens choices (HELP!)

you can try nikon 55mm f2.8 ai or ais (micro nikkor). it's a manual focus macro lens with good performance and can be had for under $100. you will need an adapter, focus manually, and control aperture manually.

also look into extension tubes.

Dec 01, 2015 at 11:56 PM
huskers070

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Newbie...Product Photography Lens choices (HELP!)

Do you or can you use a tripod while taking your photos? Shutter remote? Turn off IS when using tripod also. I don't have any experience with this lens, but the 50 2.5 macro could be another option.

Edited on Dec 02, 2015 at 12:47 AM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2015 at 12:16 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Newbie...Product Photography Lens choices (HELP!)

If you're having trouble with blur or unsharpness in your image your problem may be with support. In a close-focus situation, very small movement can move the point of focus to the wrong place (and of course at long shutter speeds movement or vibration can introduce blur). For product, or really most any close-focus / macro shooting, a good tripod is worth every penny.

Googling some it seems that the 60mm EF-S is a good lens. That's probably a safe bet. But I'd look seriously into a sturdy tripod most of all.

Dec 02, 2015 at 12:27 AM
darrellc
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Newbie...Product Photography Lens choices (HELP!)

I have an OM 50/3.5 Macro that I really like. Got it in excellent condition with the Olympus extension tube required for 1:1 for well south of $100. Will mount on Canon with adapter.

It is my macro lens for A7x - I rarely shoot macro (mostly things I sell online) and wanted a cheaper macro for infrequent use after having the spectacular Olympus 60/2.8 Macro for m4/3 - which is a great lens BTW. You could grab an EM-5 and that lens for cheap and have a nice stabilized macro setup if you don't want to use a tripod for some reason.

Dec 02, 2015 at 12:35 AM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Newbie...Product Photography Lens choices (HELP!)

What's your full setup and what are you using the photos for?

Do you have studio lights? A tripod? If not, those 2 things will do more for your product photography than any high end lens. Really, even the EF-S 18-55 stopped down to f/8 on a tripod with good lights will do a nice job for product photos.

Dec 02, 2015 at 09:28 AM
WhyFi
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Newbie...Product Photography Lens choices (HELP!)

As others have mentioned, stopped down, most lenses do well. I'd grab either of the Canon 50/1.8 lenses, pop the camera on a sturdy tripod and go to town.

Dec 02, 2015 at 09:55 AM
WhyFi
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Newbie...Product Photography Lens choices (HELP!)

I had to dig through the ol' Lightroom catalog, but this is a photo that I took for my wife's shop shortly after buying my first DSLR (a Canon 30D, lens is the 50/1.8 II).

It's certainly not fantastic, but I was very much a noob on a budget: a roll of white seamless, a PVC framed light box and a few garage lamps from Home Depot with thin plastic panels used as diffusers. Also, I should have stopped down more than just f/4, but... noob.

IMG_2657 by williamsbside, on Flickr

Dec 02, 2015 at 10:05 AM
Brenson

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Newbie...Product Photography Lens choices (HELP!)

I really appreciate all the awesome tips and advise! So it looks like any 50mm to 70mm lenses are the go to lenses for close up product photography. I do use a tripod, light box and three 5000k lamps.

I think i'll go for the 60mm macro lens

Dec 03, 2015 at 02:03 AM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Newbie...Product Photography Lens choices (HELP!)

that'll work, lens-wise. f/11 and down are your friends.

now, think about what others have said regarding stability. with your savings, buy a decent tripod and head. an inexpensive used benro would be fine for your needs, or the equivalent. stability means a lot - your enemy is vibration and movement. use a remote or your cam's self-timer. lock the mirror up. build our own set-up like *Whyfi* mentions to make nice light and background.

Dec 03, 2015 at 11:56 AM
mbphoto_2.8
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Newbie...Product Photography Lens choices (HELP!)

Keep in mind the perspective that changes with subject distance.
I just did a few product photos at 200mm (on full frame) and compared them to similar framing at 50mm. The difference is stunning and I'm really happy that I got a 120mm macro lens.

I would look at vintage lenses, mybe Zeiss makro planar, and use an adapter for the Canon.
Focal length 50-80mm

Dec 04, 2015 at 01:44 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.