New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · new mag covers plus a couple

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · new mag covers plus a couple

Congratulations to friscoron for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 3 votes - View Previous Winners

I shoot for a regional magazine chain here in the Chicago area and it's always fun to do the fashion shoots. They occasionally let me hire the models, which they did here, and the blond is a Ballet Chicago dancer whose parents hired me to photograph her senior portraits this summer, and the brunette is a DePaul cheerleader. Fun to get them their first paid gigs as a model and two covers to boot.

I'm usually pretty hard on myself with these shoots as they don't pay me enough to allow me hire any assistants and in this case I was managing up to three or four Einsteins, and so I usually walk away from these shoots thinking what I could have done with more time and more help. But in this case, I was actually pretty happy with how they turned out.

We shot at the Drake Hotel in Oak Brook, IL, with the idea of a Gatsby theme. We really just had the fireplace and bar in which we could reasonably pull off that look. The cover shot at the fireplace was shot with my Sigma Art 50mm lens at ISO 2500, f/4.5 and 1/60 shutter. T

Comments are welcome.

1. Shot with 70-200 f/2.8 at ISO 2500, f/2.8, and 1/125. One Einstein with med softbox left of camera.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5737/23428734856_0acddc13fd_b.jpg

2. Shot with my Sigma Art 50mm lens at ISO 2500, f/4.5 and 1/60 shutter. I think just one Einstein with a medium softbox right of camera.
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/706/22826517394_82eff0969b_b.jpg

3. Shot wtih 70-200, ISO 1000, f/2.8 and 1/100 shutter speed. One light probably with the med softbox (or beauty dish) to my right.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5625/23428711976_eec4711f2a_b.jpg

4. 85mm f/1.4G, ISO 2000, f/4, 1/100. Three Einsteins, key light right of camera using a beauty dish and sock, light back to the left for a kicker on her hair, and another light to right to light the bar area (tho left light is also providing light for bar).
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5667/23346378082_9a98216a3f_b.jpg

5. Shot with Art 50mm lens, ISO 3200, f/1.4 (pretty ballsy with two models) and 1/80 shutter.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5683/22827726903_d6b427530a_b.jpg

Dec 01, 2015 at 10:34 PM
coreybell
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · new mag covers plus a couple

Excellent job Ron. I really like the rich colors in the fireplace shot.

Dec 01, 2015 at 11:32 PM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · new mag covers plus a couple

Every shoot is better than your last, Ron. Great job. Kudos on the covers! The brunette has a killer smile. No assistants? :-( How about makeup and hair? BTW, since the mag was featuring vintage vinyl, you should have used film! Remember when ISO 800+ was a challenge?

Dec 01, 2015 at 11:50 PM
Dave 1234
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · new mag covers plus a couple

#2 and #5 are my favorites, but there are no bad pictures here. What an interesting photo shoot. And gorgeous models, too. Did you have a hand in creating the magazine pages? Tell us more about how their creation.

Dec 02, 2015 at 12:19 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · new mag covers plus a couple

GoodEgg wrote:
Every shoot is better than your last, Ron. Great job. Kudos on the covers! The brunette has a killer smile. No assistants? :-( How about makeup and hair? BTW, since the mag was featuring vintage vinyl, you should have used film! Remember when ISO 800+ was a challenge?

Yeah, I didn't have any assistants. Girls got the full salon treatment. Magazine has an art director and their designer there, and we all work together to come up with the look.

I still remember ISO 3200 film. But I was a Kodachrome 64 slide guy myself, if I wasn't shooting B&W film. :-)

But I'm thinking the ISO 800+ comment was from the early digital cameras? My first digital dSLR camera was a D200, and ISO 800 was way too grainy to use.

Dec 02, 2015 at 01:01 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · new mag covers plus a couple

Dave 1234 wrote:
#2 and #5 are my favorites, but there are no bad pictures here. What an interesting photo shoot. And gorgeous models, too. Did you have a hand in creating the magazine pages? Tell us more about how their creation.

Like I mentioned in the previous post, I work with a designer and art director from the magazine during the shoot, then just edit and deliver them. I don't always really know which shots will make the cover, but I usually have a pretty good sense. I knew the fireplace shot would make it. Let me know if your question about the creation was about the images themselves, I'll be glad to tell you more about them.

Dec 02, 2015 at 01:04 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · new mag covers plus a couple

coreybell wrote:
Excellent job Ron. I really like the rich colors in the fireplace shot.

Thanks, Corey! Definitely my fave, too!

Dec 02, 2015 at 01:04 AM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · new mag covers plus a couple

Typical Ron great work!

Dec 02, 2015 at 01:27 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · new mag covers plus a couple

What a fine set and a good story to boot.

My fav is the last shot.

Dec 02, 2015 at 01:41 AM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · new mag covers plus a couple

My sincere friend your either getting lucky and just plain damn good. I will go with the latter. Really well done Ron, I am sure the young ladies are as thrilled with their photos as the publication must be.

Dave

Dec 02, 2015 at 02:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · new mag covers plus a couple

Nicely done sir. Both mag shots are great ... but I really like the 2nd mag shot. That's a standout.

The last shot is great too. My personal opinion/idea that would have been fun to try: a 3rd person in the left background either sitting at the bar or behind it getting a bottle off the left-most shelves ... just a thought.

Dec 02, 2015 at 03:04 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · new mag covers plus a couple

Nice work, Ron! I enjoy the photography in all of them, spot on. #1 I just wish the model didn't look like she was trying not to pass gas.

Your ballsiness in #5 looks like it paid off, at least at these sizes it looks razor sharp. At that distance, it does make me wonder why you bothered with such a wide aperture since the background blur is still somewhat light. The wood arch in the bar background looks like it has a bit of a blue/magenta highlight to it, was that some of the sunlight reflecting or maybe something else?

Dec 02, 2015 at 03:31 AM
dakel
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · new mag covers plus a couple

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Dec 02, 2015 at 03:55 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · new mag covers plus a couple

Really well done, Ron. My favorite is #2. Excellent balance of flash and ambient. They're all well balanced, but you really knocked #2 out of the park.

Dec 02, 2015 at 08:44 AM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · new mag covers plus a couple

Your models did a great job! The covers are great but I like #3 the best.
How much time do you spend processing each of these? Do you process everything and then pick the photos that go in (and on) the magazine? Or do you choose what you will use and then process them?
An excellent set!

Greg

Dec 02, 2015 at 12:15 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · new mag covers plus a couple

These are lovely Ron. #3 is great!

I do have a modest suggestion. In #3, the next time I suggest that you get her to bring her fingers together, then rotate her hand slightly so it is not so flat to the camera.

Dec 02, 2015 at 01:46 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · new mag covers plus a couple

dmacmillan wrote:
These are lovely Ron. #3 is great!

I do have a modest suggestion. In #3, the next time I suggest that you get her to bring her fingers together, then rotate her hand slightly so it is not so flat to the camera.

Thanks, Doug! Aside from No. 2, No. 3 is my next favorite. As for the hand/wrist, I totally agree and I'm catching that about 60% of the time now while I'm shooting. In a year, hopefully I'm up to 90%. A year ago, I hardly ever caught it. Thanks for mentioning that.

Dec 02, 2015 at 03:28 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · new mag covers plus a couple

gregfixit wrote:
Your models did a great job! The covers are great but I like #3 the best.
How much time do you spend processing each of these? Do you process everything and then pick the photos that go in (and on) the magazine? Or do you choose what you will use and then process them?
An excellent set!

Greg

Thanks, Greg! For these magazine shoots, and a lot of my shoots like this where I'm going to do the editing, I upload them to an online gallery for them to select the shots for me to edit. Once they make their selections, I edit those. I sometimes add a couple of my own if they didn't select a personal favorite of mine. Editing is fairly simple. First Lightroom, then pull it into PS for cleaning up. Most, I edit about 2-3 minutes in LR, then another 4-5 minutes in PS. In No. 2, I had a ton of light reflections to clean up off the windows and door on the right, probably spent close to 45 minutes cleaning all that up. I knew it was going to be a problem when I shot it, but that was the direction of light that I wanted so simply had to deal with it in post.

Dec 02, 2015 at 03:33 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · new mag covers plus a couple

Steve Wylie wrote:
Really well done, Ron. My favorite is #2. Excellent balance of flash and ambient. They're all well balanced, but you really knocked #2 out of the park.

Thanks, Steve! Definitely my fave, and definitely a delicate balance of ambient and flash.

Dec 02, 2015 at 03:34 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · new mag covers plus a couple

davenfl wrote:
My sincere friend your either getting lucky and just plain damn good. I will go with the latter. Really well done Ron, I am sure the young ladies are as thrilled with their photos as the publication must be.

Dave

Dave, thanks so much!

Dec 02, 2015 at 03:37 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password