New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · What would you do ?????

prodigyphotos
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What would you do ?????

Hey guys, I'm currently contemplating the thought of selling my current Canon Setup for a more travel/compact friendly one. I do not wish to lose much image quality as I would still love to yield the same like results I'm currently getting now. Here is what I currently have - Canon 5D Mark III - Canon 24-70 2.8 ver 2 - Canon 70-200 2.8 ver 2 What do I shoot? Lately it's just been a bunch of randomness in the neighborhood, my kids/family at events/gathering, some professional like portrait work ( indoors and outdoors ). Not much sports anymore, but I completely count it out. I also currently own a Sony a6000 w/35 1.8 prime lens, and while I enjoy that camera and its results a lot, I believe an upgrade is in order and that this will be passed on to my lady. Now if I were to part with ALL of the above, What current setup would be best to take over the type of shooting I'm doing....Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bundle.

Dec 01, 2015 at 10:44 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What would you do ?????

seems that you might be a good candidate for a Sony alpha series....

Dec 01, 2015 at 10:52 AM
prodigyphotos
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What would you do ?????

If you don't mind me asking , what would your suggestion in the alpha line ( body and lens ). ?

Bacalhau wrote:
seems that you might be a good candidate for a Sony alpha series....

Dec 01, 2015 at 10:57 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What would you do ?????

prodigyphotos wrote:
... Not much sports anymore, but I completely count it out...

Ambiguity alert! Did you leave out "don't"? Your wording is a bit puzzling...

Dec 01, 2015 at 11:48 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What would you do ?????

I tested the A7 a while ago, and did not liked it that much - UI and buttons were too much off for me, along with color rendition, However, I was using a metabones adapter with heavy glass, hence not a light setup
The newer A7's seems to have a better body design, and work better with off-brand lenses from what I have been reading from "real" users. A lot of people seem to be happy with the newer models.
However, Sony good glass is expensive and still heavy.
Maybe you should consider renting one before jumping brands, using a native lens and the metabones adapter too

OTOH, maybe a 6D, 7DII or even the SL1 can do the trick for you regarding a lighter setup once you rework you lens lineup a bit....

Dec 01, 2015 at 11:59 AM
prodigyphotos
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What would you do ?????

Won't count it out

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Ambiguity alert! Did you leave out "don't"? Your wording is a bit puzzling...

Dec 01, 2015 at 01:31 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What would you do ?????

You say you're looking for a more compact, travel friendly setup. Unfortunately, while the Sony Alpha series is a nice piece of equipment, and the body is more compact, you're still at the mercy of the glass which hasn't gotten much smaller or lighter.

Additionally, you've said that you'd like to yield the same results as you have now.

Those things are at odds with each other. If you want smaller, you need to at least give up aperture size and likely a little image quality along with it. That would knock a lot off your lenses. If you're willing to trade off flexibility, you could consider switching to a couple small primes in your favorite focal lengths which would do a lot to compress your kit.

If you really want to make a serious reduction in weight, it's time to consider switching to a smaller sensor. In that case you really will be trading off image quality, but the flip side is that you could also cut your kit size by a ton. A micro-4/3 kit would probably be a third the weight of your current setup.

Dec 01, 2015 at 01:46 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What would you do ?????

Stick with what you have.

Dec 01, 2015 at 02:57 PM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What would you do ?????

Your 5D3 body isn't terribly big or heavy. Your lenses are big and heavy, and so is everything else with a comparable aperture and performance. It seems like the Sony with Sony F/4 lenses is the best compromise solution. For sports you may miss having F/2.8, and if you do shallow DOF portrait work F/4 max. aperture won't help.

If you can live with F/4 maximum aperture and the IQ of the Sony lenses it seems the way to go. I have no idea how the lens IQ compares with what you have now, but I doubt they are better.

There's the Sony/Canon solution. It gives you the same big and heavy lenses plus an adapter and the added hassle that goes along with using it on a smaller and lighter body. You'd get an IQ improvement, but the size/weight savings is only the difference between your Canon body and the Sony body plus the lens adapter.

Personally, I'd either go all Sony or stay with Canon. I never found the mixed solution to be very appealing. All IMO, YMMV, etc...

Dec 01, 2015 at 04:44 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What would you do ?????

You might want to consider the EOS SL1. It's almost as small and light as an average mirrorless but can use most of your your lenses and accessories. Plus, the learning curve will be very short as it does things the EOS way. I use a 5D2 and 6D for most of my serious shooting but the SL1 and 24 2.8 STM pancake are always with me when I vacation or go out to dinners/parties. I tried three different mirrorless cameras during the last two years as my point 'n shoot replacement and wasn't happy using an EVF or the strange and tiny physical controls. The SL1 gave me DSLR feel and compatibility with near mirrorless size and weight.

Dec 01, 2015 at 05:40 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What would you do ?????

Nothing can replace what you have and give you the same image quality and the same versatility (except a similar Nikon setup as the one you have now).

A Sony setup would improve the sensor, but won't offer you what are among the best zoom lenses around, those two Canons you got. Similar Sony lenses, if they existed, will most likely be more expensive than the Canon lenses and be just as big and heavy.

A Fuji setup will be smaller, but not match your full-frame sensor and with its f/2.8 zooms, it still gets bulky.

A MFT (Olympus or Panasonic) kit will be much smaller, but again you will suffer in image quality, esp. at higher ISOs.

All these systems are also completely different in use from Canon and many hate the various interfaces of the mirrorless systems.

In short, I think you need to start by thinking about the compromises you're willing to make. Tell us that and we can offer more suggestions.

I say all this with no ill-conceived notions regarding any system: I shoot Canon (but sold my 5D III and the f/2.8 zooms), Sony (but without its bulky zooms) and Olympus MFT.

Dec 01, 2015 at 06:37 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What would you do ?????

I moved from a 5d2 to a Sony A7R for two reasons:

1. Better sensor...at the time it was the highest mpix sensor with great dynamic range.
2. Compactness.

For my use, the A7R was superior in both of these areas compared to the 5d2.

I use my A7R for landscape off a tripod and travel. My travel setup which I carry around my wrist is the A7R with the Sony 16-35 lens. Great image quality from this setup and it is light enough to carry all day hanging from your wrist without getting tired or sore. The weight savings over the equivalent 5d2 setup is over a pound...which is very noticable when carrying every day for weeks on end. I also have a A6000 camera as a backup and take anywhere like dinner type of camera when traveling. Coupled with the 28 f2 lens, it is very compact.

I still use a 7d for my action photography, but truthfully my 5d2 just sits idle since I got the A7R.

A real bonus with the A7R...they can be had for less than $1,000 from the B&S...a great bargain.

Dec 01, 2015 at 06:58 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What would you do ?????

dmcphoto wrote:
Your 5D3 body isn't terribly big or heavy.

Yes it is - handle that 5D3 alongside an A7 or X-T1.

One suggestion for the OP is to wait and see what the X-T2 brings, if he can. Or else try a cheap, used X-T1 or A7r in the meantime.

Dec 01, 2015 at 08:02 PM
prodigyphotos
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What would you do ?????

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Dec 01, 2015 at 08:54 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What would you do ?????

prodigyphotos wrote:
Hey guys, I'm currently contemplating the thought of selling my current Canon Setup for a more travel/compact friendly one. I do not wish to lose much image quality as I would still love to yield the same like results I'm currently getting now. Here is what I currently have - Canon 5D Mark III - Canon 24-70 2.8 ver 2 - Canon 70-200 2.8 ver 2 What do I shoot? Lately it's just been a bunch of randomness in the neighborhood, my kids/family at events/gathering, some professional like portrait work ( indoors and outdoors ). Not much sports anymore, but
...Show more

Most naysayers to Sony here are not smitten with Sony mirrorless system. You, on the other hand, seem to enjoy your A6000. And the latest gen. A7 series is an improvement on that, especially the A7RII.

So I think you would ask yourself these questions:

1. What focal lengths that you shoot the most?
2. Do you really need those two zooms?
3. For the occasional sport you do, what kind of tracking do you expect?

The mirrorless Sony system can track, just not as well as Canikon yet. The current primes of the system are among the best out there, if not the best for its focal length and aperture combo: no comparison from Canikon for Batis 25 and 85, FE 55. FE 35 2.8 and 1.4 are very good while FE 28 and loxia 50 and 35 are quite good. G90 is among the best macro but it's nothing new for a macro.

Personally, for portrait, around the house, traveling, you will find eye-AF and face-AF are much better than whatever you're going to get on a Canikon; pretty much don't need to focus and recompose, or dealing with a less sensitive outer AF points.

So if what I'm saying is not too important to you, I think you should stick with Canon. I know I would never go back to a DSLR body. I might go for another FF mirrorless if any other comes out with one. But for now, Sony it is for me.

Dec 01, 2015 at 10:11 PM
prodigyphotos
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What would you do ?????

What Sony system are you using

To answer some of your questions. I'm not fixed on the zooms. I literally only bought the best canon had to offer in that range to limit the changing of lens and when I had 2 bodies it was extremely convenient to just pick up a body and shoot.

My sports photography would not require any extreme fast tracking. For now it's mainly baseball/softball and I've made my mark most with the candid stills shots of the game. I just want to get the best I can so I'm not limited in he future should anything arise.

I keep hearing people say the A7r II is the way to go with almost no mention of the a7II. Is the a7ii that much inferior that it's barely mentioned ?

Again thanks for the input.

hiepphotog wrote:
Most naysayers to Sony here are not smitten with Sony mirrorless system. You, on the other hand, seem to enjoy your A6000. And the latest gen. A7 series is an improvement on that, especially the A7RII.

So I think you would ask yourself these questions:

1. What focal lengths that you shoot the most?
2. Do you really need those two zooms?
3. For the occasional sport you do, what kind of tracking do you expect?

The mirrorless Sony system can track, just not as well as Canikon yet. The current primes of the system are among the best out there, if not the best
...Show more

Dec 02, 2015 at 07:31 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What would you do ?????

prodigyphotos wrote:

To answer some of your questions. I'm not fixed on the zooms. I literally only bought the best canon had to offer in that range to limit the changing of lens and when I had 2 bodies it was extremely convenient to just pick up a body and shoot.

My sports photography would not require any extreme fast tracking. For now it's mainly baseball/softball and I've made my mark most with the candid stills shots of the game. I just want to get the best I can so I'm not limited in he
...Show more

The A7II is a fine camera in its own right, but in the overall market it's not that special with 24 mp. The A7R II is just better all around with the same specs and that great 42 mp sensor.

Still, a Sony system will get big quickly if you're adding zooms. If it's bulk you want to lose, you could keep your Canon and exchange the f/2.8 zooms for f/4 zooms.

I think the key consideration is if you would like shooting with the Sony. That's a personal matter. There's no right or wrong. I prefer shooting with my Canon and Olympus over shooting with my Sony, but I readily admit that it's the Sony that produces the better images if top speed or flash isn't required.

Dec 02, 2015 at 08:09 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What would you do ?????

prodigyphotos wrote:

My sports photography would not require any extreme fast tracking. For now it's mainly baseball/softball and I've made my mark most with the candid stills shots of the game. I just want to get the best I can so I'm not limited in he
...Show more

The recent Sony bodies I have used are the A7R, A7S and now the A7RII. I now have the A7S and the A7RII.

Regarding the optics, I have not tried any of the top FE lenses (Batis, Loxia, etc.) but I have seen full-res samples at various distances and at various distances to know. In short, if you can make do with primes, say the 25/2 and the 85/1.8, you're golden. They're among best in these focal lengths, regardless of brand. If you like the flexibility of zooms, you might want to try going f/4 (which is the only thing Sony has right now) zoom on your Canon system. I'm doing mostly landscape and some spontaneous portraits, and this system, as in FF mirrorless, is perfect for me. My lenses are all M-mount.

Dec 02, 2015 at 10:04 AM
chrisdupe
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What would you do ?????

Stick with what you have. It will save you the cost and hassle of switching then switching back after you realize that what little size/weight advantage you gained with going to mirrorless isn't even close to what you gave up.

Dec 02, 2015 at 04:20 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What would you do ?????

chrisdupe wrote:
Stick with what you have. It will save you the cost and hassle of switching then switching back after you realize that what little size/weight advantage you gained with going to mirrorless isn't even close to what you gave up.

Is this speaking from experience or not? I moved most of my shooting to mirrorless and the savings in weight / bulk from my DSLR system was one major factor for me to move to mirrorless...the other being the Sony sensor.

If travel is one of your needs of a camera system, the mirrorless systems out there offer much more than what the bigger, heavier DSLR's offer. The whole notion of AF not being able to track an eagle with a mirrorless system...that is true and if your goal is to shoot diving eagles, then the DSLR system is the way to go...but if you need a camera that you can carry with you for everyday shots, for travel, for family outings...the mirrorless systems are more than capable in these situations.

Dec 02, 2015 at 04:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.