Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Kirk L-bracket for 5DII failing (swiveling 5DII): Oppion/advise needed, ...

donse

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kirk L-bracket for 5DII failing (swiveling 5DII): Oppion/advise needed, please

Alternative needed to the Kirk L-bracket for 5DII (the Kirk does not keep my 5DII locked in place - it will eventually let the 5DII swivel a few degrees from side to side hence compromising functionality of the follow-focus)?

Are there any better performing DSLR-brackets out there for me to try out for the 5DII?

Any help - and advice - is most appreciated

Dec 01, 2015 at 09:31 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kirk L-bracket for 5DII failing (swiveling 5DII): Oppion/advise needed, please

Markins or RRS? It's surprising that a Kirk is failing...

Dec 01, 2015 at 11:49 AM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kirk L-bracket for 5DII failing (swiveling 5DII): Oppion/advise needed, please

I am using a Sunwayfoto L-bracket for my 6d and i am really satisfied with it.
No moving at all, after 1,5 year of use.

Dec 01, 2015 at 01:48 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kirk L-bracket for 5DII failing (swiveling 5DII): Oppion/advise needed, please

I highly recommend the Really Right Stuff L bracket for the 5D2, as well as for most any camera body that they make a bracket for. I have direct experience with RRS L brackets on nearly every Canon digital body made in the last 12 years, and they do it right. Their designs always include a way to cup the bottom of the body with perfect fit, and the result is that you will never get any rotation like you are talking about. You will pay a bit more for RRS L brackets, but the design fit and finish are all top notch, and worth the money.

Any bracket that does not have a way to cup the body in some way has the potential to rotate. On those with flat surfaces against the bottom of the camera, one way to try to prevent that is to tighten the screw extra tight, which has the potential of damaging the camera. Then, when the screw does come loose a bit, the plate can rotate when load is applied, which is very frustrating, and occasionally can result in some damage. A RRS plate will never rotate, even with the screw a bit loose.

Edited on Dec 01, 2015 at 07:33 PM · View previous versions

Dec 01, 2015 at 03:07 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kirk L-bracket for 5DII failing (swiveling 5DII): Oppion/advise needed, please

How can an L bracket malfunction Images?

EBH

Dec 01, 2015 at 07:12 PM
donse

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kirk L-bracket for 5DII failing (swiveling 5DII): Oppion/advise needed, please

#2: Yeah... i was very suprised too. And disappointed. It's hardly used (no wear).

(#5) But the footprint is just not a 100% accurate fit (simple as that) - there's room for a little play (say 2 or 3 degrees). Hence leaving it up to the locking capabilities of the 1/4-bolt to keep the whole thing from moving.

And when using it in a DSLR-rig w. followfocus etc. it is inevitable that the 1/4-bolt eventually loosens up just a tiny bit. Resulting in the camera (and lens) shifting position off axis and away from contact with the followfocus.

It's a disaster really...

Edited on Dec 02, 2015 at 01:07 AM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2015 at 12:39 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kirk L-bracket for 5DII failing (swiveling 5DII): Oppion/advise needed, please

Is the bolt deformed or the hole damaged? Anyway, send it in for service if possible. I've had no issues with dozens of Kirk plates, brackets, etc. for over 20 years, but RRS has repaired or replaced several of their own defective products for me. At least in the US, small companies like those are responsive to consumer complaints and normally make things right. RRS, Kirk, etc. are in contrast to Gitzo/Manfrotto that basically tell the customer to take a flying leap.

EBH

Dec 02, 2015 at 12:55 AM
donse

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kirk L-bracket for 5DII failing (swiveling 5DII): Oppion/advise needed, please

#7: Well actually, due to the nature of design and mechanics here, the hole is not critical - it can even be somewhat excessice in dia w.o. impairing the general functionality.

That's the very point: If the footptint of the bracket is ACCURATE, all the bolt has to do is to keep the camera down. Because there is no rotating movement possible in the first place then.

Now a single 1/4 bolt will apply the needed downforce just fine - and it will keep doing that over time due to the lack of rotational impulse (accurate footprint again). All you need then is a level base of the bracket for the bolt's head to rest upon (and no matter if you have to use a washer even. It does not mean a thing really). Accurate footprint = secure one 1/4 bolt fastening and NO rotation.

Unfortunately Kirk has not offered to provide service in reply to my humble request (?)
Only they have taken notice, that the 30-days return option is well over due...

Dec 02, 2015 at 01:38 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Kirk L-bracket for 5DII failing (swiveling 5DII): Oppion/advise needed, please

Is it the Kirk BL-5D2 L-bracket? I'm surprised as it's fitted with an anti-twist lip contoured the the back edge of the 5D2. I wonder if they mistakenly sent you a universal model or the wrong bracket? I've owned many of their plates and clamps over the years and they were built to tight tolerances.

Dec 02, 2015 at 03:45 AM
donse

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Kirk L-bracket for 5DII failing (swiveling 5DII): Oppion/advise needed, please

#10: It's the one; BL-5DII - with all the bells 'n whistles ('lip') and a tight pricetag too...

You are certainly not the only one surprised...

And Kirk seems to not to take any interest in the matter for some reason (?)

Dec 02, 2015 at 03:58 AM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Kirk L-bracket for 5DII failing (swiveling 5DII): Oppion/advise needed, please

I am really surprised that Kirk will not listen to your issue. It does sound a bit like a bracket that was not manufactured properly. If it is defective, they should support their warranty for what ever period they list. A return policy is not the same as their warranty for a defective product that has not been damaged.

I am pretty sure Really Right Stuff still has a 5 year warranty to the original purchaser for defects. Out of the many many items I have purchased from them, I had prompt satisfaction on one defective lever release clamp. And on a tripod that I purchased used, they fixed a known issue with it even though I was not the original purchaser. And on their issue with some tripod legs repeatably becoming loose and swinging to easily, I have a friend that got a rebuild kit for the leg pivots for free from them. But in general RRS delivers high quality stuff, and has very little need to do any replacements.

Take the screw out of your bracket, and put the bracket against the camera, and see how much slop there is. If there clearly is slop, use that information and call Kirk, and talk to them about your defective L bracket. If that is a fail, consider adding a bit of thickness to the edge of the cupping ridges to close any gaps, and provide firm cupping of the camera. For small amounts of add, you can use metal adhesive tape in several layers at the key locations that need help. Not an ideal solution, but it might save you buying a new L bracket.

And, since your camera is not a current model, if you want another L bracket, you can look for a used Really Right Stuff L bracket on line and save money. The 5D2 L brackets go for $50 to $80 used on the major auction site, which is a fair amount of savings over what a new one would cost. I just looked at the RRS site, and they do not list the L bracket for the 5D2 right now for the one that would fit the body only. It could be just a website error on their new site layout, or they might have stopped making them. If you want to consider a new RRS L bracket, give them a call.

Dec 02, 2015 at 01:36 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.