FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Tripod accessibility while hiking

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Tripod accessibility while hiking

mitesh wrote:
Absolutely nothing wrong with it. A very simple and effective method in many instances. However, with a backpack, some people may feel it is not the best solution for them.

They may not, but what is a better solution?

For hiking, I use a photo backpack that I can slide around in front of me. If I had my tripod strapped to that, it would then be quickly in front of me.

The Lowepro Sling bags may be too small for some, but they give fast access to gear without having to take the backpack off.

http://store.lowepro.com/sling-bags?gclid=CNygmLXKxckCFcRgfgodIvME3A

Dec 05, 2015 at 03:43 PM
ontime
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Tripod accessibility while hiking

Imagemaster wrote:
They may not, but what is a better solution?

For hiking, I use a photo backpack that I can slide around in front of me. If I had my tripod strapped to that, it would then be quickly in front of me.

The Lowepro Sling bags may be too small for some, but they give fast access to gear without having to take the backpack off.

http://store.lowepro.com/sling-bags?gclid=CNygmLXKxckCFcRgfgodIvME3A

Attaching to the pack is definitely possible with some creativity and is preferred over slinging the tripod over the shoulder.

The main problems with using a strap (same goes for using a camera strap):
- Anything hanging from a strap will move around a lot unless cinched tight to the body. It is not safe or comfortable to have items dangling off your body while hiking. It also prevents me from doing certain things like scrambling over rocks because you might smash the dangling item. A real life example: I glissaded down a steep hill with my camera strap around my neck and my camera ended up getting dragged through 30 feet of snow. Yeah, I'm an idiot. But if the camera were attached to my pack securely I might not have had this problem.
- Straps apply pressure to the shoulders which can become painful after a few hours of hiking.
- Straps can interfere with all the other equipment you have attached to you, and all of a sudden the order in which you put things on and take things off matters.

Dec 07, 2015 at 07:13 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Tripod accessibility while hiking

mitesh wrote:
I have this tripod attachment and use it with a Gregory Baltoro pack as well as an Eberlestock pack. The tripod does not sway to and fro if you secure the legs with a small piece of elastic cord loop attached to the side of your pack. The straps that attach to the tripod loop and shoulder strap D-rings can be cinched tight. I carry an RRS 3-series (4lbs.) with tripod head and I don't notice any discomfort. I've tried carrying the tripod on its own strap across my chest, carrying it in hand, and strapped to the pack, and
...Show more

Thanks a lot mitesh - good to hear you could get that to work with my pack. This might be the right solution.

Dec 07, 2015 at 07:14 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Tripod accessibility while hiking

I used to use a strap and Optech I believe. It has two problems, by having the weight on your shoulders, it will cause shoulder fatigue on longer hikes. Even 1 mile is starting to tell. The second is it tends to swing and knock into trees and rocks on narrow trails.

Same thing for the camera. I want this weight which is most of the total weight to be distributed in a proper back pack with most of the weight transferred to my hips. This means I need to remove the pack to get the camera. My Redwing has side pouches for water bottles, the gap between the pouch and bag is perfect for my larger RRS tripod. Fairly easy to get the pod, not so easy to get the camera out of the inserts at the bottom of the bag.

But the major improvement in comfort has added miles to the distance I am willing to go.

I will admit though that I probably pass up a few places to stop for pics. I cannot think of a way around this. Either you live with the pain of shoulder weight or the inconvenience of a proper back pack system.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:42 AM
Charlie N
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Tripod accessibility while hiking

depending on the size of the tripod, with smaller ones, I can have them hanging from a belt loop. I use a belt holster system to hold up my photo gear.

Dec 12, 2015 at 01:57 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.