New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Another (new?) way to get scammed by PayPal Chargebacks

unclechuck
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another (new?) way to get scammed by PayPal Chargebacks

This from AuctionBytes which a great resource if you buy or sell online:

Consumer advocate Michelle Mortensen looked into the case for a local woman who sold a boat on eBay in May. After the buyer changed his mind and tried to get a refund, eBay ruled in favor of the seller. But the buyer filed a chargeback with his credit card company - and won.

It gets worse: The grim details here

Nov 30, 2015 at 12:21 PM
pmbpro

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another (new?) way to get scammed by PayPal Chargebacks

[But the buyer got to keep the boat - and only agreed to return it to the seller if she paid him $2,689.95! Mortensen "worked every angle of the case for nearly 4 months, but in the end PayPal's user agreement overruled any evidence she uncovered."]

Wow. He even got to keep the boat (with some extortion thrown in for good measure)!?
That's just...mind-blowing.

Dec 01, 2015 at 06:11 PM
pmbpro

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another (new?) way to get scammed by PayPal Chargebacks

Oh, and thanks for that website link by the way, unclechuck. I had never heard of it.

Dec 01, 2015 at 06:12 PM
VictorJB
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another (new?) way to get scammed by PayPal Chargebacks

That's just awful. I think it's time she hired a lawyer.

Dec 01, 2015 at 10:50 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another (new?) way to get scammed by PayPal Chargebacks

I've also been bitten by Paypal as a buyer twice now. Once on a case where I bought merchandise from a seller whose account had been hijacked so that it was not really them selling it but a hacker using their feedback to lure unsuspecting buyers on a nonexistent item. It was only 60.00 but it still stung. Paypal said they could not refund the money because the seller had already withdrawn the funds from their account so there was no money to refund available. On a second item it was software and counterfeit and they refunded only about 20 percent of the money with the same reason given. That was all that was in the account to credit back. That is why I warn people all the time not to count on the Paypal protection guarantee because in my experience they don't credit back what isn't there and take the loss themselves. In the case of the 60.00 loss to a hacked account, I managed to track down the hacker and give information to Paypal but they were really not that interested in such small amounts.

Dec 02, 2015 at 12:00 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.