Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Sigma 10-20 F/3.5! Wide Angle to pair with pocket wizard?

Nuchuga
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 10-20 F/3.5! Wide Angle to pair with pocket wizard?

I recently came across the Sigma 10-20 in my search for a new wide angle and it seems to fit all my criteria (zoom range, price) however I am concerned about its speed. I want to pair it with a PW to get under hoop shots and or shots from behind the goal in soccer? Do you think this would work well for this application? Fast enough?

Nov 29, 2015 at 09:41 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 10-20 F/3.5! Wide Angle to pair with pocket wizard?

The focal would do... if your body used will handle a high ISO. Outside is no problem....ever. Inside is another matter completely. And the PW won't fail you.

You're going to need that lens stopped down a couple from say.... f/2.8 around 4 - 5.6 to get the best overall feeling of those shots through the glass.

So if it's not too big size wise, your body can handle that lens/light in the venue combination, you should be good around 16mm.

I will say this -- only as I post it on any thread asking about remotes that seem new to the idea of setting them up.

Double up your arms, and safety cable the snot out of that setup. People that fail on these remotes makes it bad for everyone.

Nov 30, 2015 at 01:04 AM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 10-20 F/3.5! Wide Angle to pair with pocket wizard?

Might want to put the lens on a camera body.... because the lens + PW won't do you much good. 😂

Nov 30, 2015 at 02:45 AM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 10-20 F/3.5! Wide Angle to pair with pocket wizard?

First off yes that lens will "work".

Your shutter speed on a wide lens does not have to be crazy fast to stop the action.

You will want to stop it down a bit. I used f4 and then focus manually so that it is at infinity.

The below shot is a D700 with a 15mm fisheye but the theory behind it remains the same. Check out the EXIF on the image.

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:57 AM
LGrafx

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 10-20 F/3.5! Wide Angle to pair with pocket wizard?

I bought the Sigma 10-20mm F/3.5 a few months back when I (thought) that I was going to get into Real Estate Photography. Long story short, I didn't.. But that lens did wonders for landscape and scenic shots. I put it on the back burner for a while until a friend of mine asked me to shoot a Hip-Hop artist in a "white-out" studio. About midway through the shoot, he wanted to do the cliche "throwing money everywhere" shot and I figured that would be a good opportunity to try the 10-20mm. I have to say, I was fairly impressed by the speed of the lens! I was using my 7D with ProFoto Strobes/Trigger and all worked smoothly.

Dec 01, 2015 at 11:40 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.