New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Sphinx - Classic shot

brian500au
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sphinx - Classic shot

In December 2014 I was took a tour around Egypt. This was the second time in the last decade and the first time I had taken photography serious. The first time I took my trusty Canon A1 but only shot around 36 photos on film - needless to say this was a huge regret and hence my reason to return and experience the architecture of this great land photographed digitially.

Below is the classic shot of the Sphinx. The Sphinx is situated in Giza which is the twin city of Cairo. Unfortunately it is very commercialized with major hotels and fast food chains just out of the shot (to the right of the photo).

A little more information on this great structure I have lifted from Wikipedia:

"After the Giza Necropolis was abandoned, the Sphinx became buried up to its shoulders in sand. The first documented attempt at an excavation dates to c. 1400 BC, when the young Thutmose IV (1401–1391 or 1397–1388 BC) gathered a team and, after much effort, managed to dig out the front paws, between which he placed a granite slab, known as the Dream Stele. Later, Ramesses II the Great (1279–1213 BC) may have undertaken a second excavation.

In AD 1817, the first modern archaeological dig, supervised by the Italian Captain Giovanni Battista Caviglia, uncovered the Sphinx's chest completely. The entire Sphinx was finally excavated in 1925 to 1936, in digs led by Émile Baraize.

In 1931, engineers of the Egyptian government repaired the head of the Sphinx because part of its headdress had fallen off in 1926 due to erosion, which had also cut deeply into its neck.

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:12 AM
vilimo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sphinx - Classic shot

Thanks for the info, Brian!!! Very nice capture!!!

Nov 29, 2015 at 08:19 PM
Ipanematom
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sphinx - Classic shot

Nice take!

Dec 02, 2015 at 05:33 PM
brian500au
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sphinx - Classic shot

Thank you for the feedback

Dec 05, 2015 at 12:55 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sphinx - Classic shot

really nice classic shot. I have never been there. Is it normal for there to be no people around this area? I thought people would be walking all around the sphinx. Is the area in your shot off limits?

Dec 05, 2015 at 07:18 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.