Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Landscape photography trip recommendations for January or February

Jeff Simpson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Landscape photography trip recommendations for January or February

Looking to take a quick 4-5 day trip during Jan/Feb solely to take landscape photos. Warm (costa rica) or cold (iceland) are all fair game. Any suggestions? I have camping gear for cold weather and don't mind any harsh conditions. Leaving from the DC area.

Some previous work not counting a recent summer 10 day Iceland trip:
http://collections.jeffsimpsonphoto.com

thank you!

Nov 28, 2015 at 08:13 PM
Nexu
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Landscape photography trip recommendations for January or February

Have you already done Yosemite in the winter?
That's on my bucket list for sure.

Nov 28, 2015 at 09:30 PM
wlpelzmann
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Landscape photography trip recommendations for January or February

Yellowstone via snowcat.

Bryce Canyon is beautiful in the snow.

The Northern California and Oregon coasts are virtually deserted at that time of year.

Nov 28, 2015 at 09:52 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Landscape photography trip recommendations for January or February

If you want meaningful advice, you're gonna have to be a lot more specific about your favorite subject material...

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:48 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Landscape photography trip recommendations for January or February

4-5 days are not enough to warrant a trip to iceland in my opinion. is the 4-5 days including travel time from DC?

Nov 29, 2015 at 03:08 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Landscape photography trip recommendations for January or February

thanks everyone!

4-5 days would include a half day traveling both ways (Th-Mon)

no favorite subject material specifically. i loved iceland, i love beaches (been to caribbean 8 times), desert, mountains, etc.

More so whatever is good this time of year. I was thinking Iceland since there's not a whole lot to [easily] shoot there this time of year besides the northern lights, ice caves, or maybe some local stuff around Reykjavik.

edit: iceland is also super easy to get to from DC. direct quick flights and under $500.

Nov 30, 2015 at 09:10 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Landscape photography trip recommendations for January or February

I would not recommend Costa Rica for landscape photography. I am going there in February but to photograph wildlife during the "dry" season for the areas I will visiting. Iceland is a better choice or if cold is not problem consider the southwest with New Mexico and Utah and Arizona. A lot fewer people, often clearer skies, and good chance of snow on the ground to add contrast to the colored rock formations. Yosemite is also a good place to visit in the winter and there may be more snowfall this year with El Nino.

Should have mentioned that February is the best time to photograph the areas around the volcanoes which during the wet season are usually shrouded in clouds and rain and fog. This area is north of San Jose and so little in country driving is required leaving more time for photography.

Dec 08, 2015 at 05:24 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.