FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Tripod/Ballhead Combination

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Tripod/Ballhead Combination

Sneakyracer wrote:
If you shoot a lot of landscapes then I recommend an RRS BH-55 with a panning clamp. It's what I use and love it. Awesome to quickly have a level platform and be able to rotate while level. The build quality is top notch and it is strong. The Z1 is even beefier IMHO but without a panning clamp its much less convenient.

EB-1 wrote:
A few years ago I ditched the PCL-1 on the BH-55, replaced it with a regular clamp, and added the RRS 3 series leveling base to the tripod. It was the best thing I ever did to improve my panning capabilities.

EBH

Sneakyracer wrote:
The leveling base is awesome for when one is using video pan/tilt (or gimbal) heads (a must IMHO since it forgoes the need to level the tripod by adjusting each leg) but not so with a ballhead since what matters is if the camera platform is level and the camera rotates on the level.

Panning with the camera level is very limiting to the composition. Elevation (+ or - vertical angle) can be accomplished by using the ballhead if the tripod is level so the panning can be done on the ballhead base as designed. If one uses a pano rig then the vertical angle is adjusted on the apparatus (e.g., the PCLR here) and the ballhead can become the leveling base without having a separate leveling base. I find it more convenient to use the actual leveling base since a single-row pan can be performed without a pano rig.

EBH

Nov 30, 2015 at 07:28 PM
Tareq
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Tripod/Ballhead Combination

I can't add more than what members added, it is difficult to choose one over the another, all those ballheads will do the job, just maybe one is better in design or performance or weight or whatever, but at the end they all will do the job.

I have RRS BH-55 and i never look back, even i have Markins Q3T old model and i don't use it, but the only downside of RRS BH-55 i faced is its weight for travel, really so heavy, and when it is not locked then i have problem of the camera fallen down to the sides of the ballhead suddenly if i didn't hold it, but i don't let those downsides to stop me using/enjoying this ballhead.

I am realy thinking to look at Markins ballheads, the recent visit to their page and i see they improved their ballheads, i had that Q3T with their old standard clamp, and i sent it back to them when i was back in USA for vacation to take it off so i can use RRS level clamp on it, but i didn't use loctite to keep it tight and i didn't like it that way anyway, so that i didn't use it at all, but their new ballheads has models with level clamp and that is an option now, but the prices are still high, i am not looking to spend money on more accessories new when i have something that is good enough, i more focus to spend on cameras and lenses at the moment.

Nov 30, 2015 at 08:29 PM
cameron12x
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Tripod/Ballhead Combination

A big thanks to everyone who has contributed their expertise, experiences, and recommendations on this thread. It is much appreciated!

For now, I've decided to save a little money and go with the seeming up-and-comer: Sirui K-40X.

While not perfect (what is?) it's getting excellent reviews everywhere.

If that doesn't workout, I can always come back to this thread and make another choice.

Thanks again!

Dec 01, 2015 at 11:07 AM
Mark Runge

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Tripod/Ballhead Combination

Just wanted to say I have been using the Sirui T-1204x for about a year. Been good to date. Quality is good (I live in the desert so give it a good run for its money on heat and rough handling with travel and hiking). I can imagine the K-40x will do well.

Dec 29, 2015 at 05:36 AM
sperraglia
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Tripod/Ballhead Combination

My new favorite is the uniqball and naturescapes has a 15% coupon right now. First you do not need a leveler and for the first time ever I have pictures with straight horizons. I took this to bolivia for 2 weeks and used a sony a7r and canon 600mm on it and it was brilliant. I never thought I would leave behind my wimberly but I did with no regrets. I used to have Markins and have tried RRS, but this little baby is my go to now.

https://store.naturescapes.net/uniqball-head-ubh-45/

https://store.naturescapes.net/uniqball-head-ubh-35/

Dec 29, 2015 at 08:24 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Tripod/Ballhead Combination

There are a couple of Andy Rouse Youtube videos using the Uniqball and it looks quite amazing.

Dec 29, 2015 at 09:21 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Tripod/Ballhead Combination

cameron12x wrote:
RSS BH-55...

The largest lens combination I'd probably ever use is the Tamron 150-600mm zoom with 2 TCs potentially stacked. Uses would include astrophotography, landscape, wildlife, and action photography.

Comments and/or advice welcomed! TIA.

My experience with the gear on your list only includes the BH-55. Among the two RRS options, with that very large zoom plus TCs I would get the larger head.

Dan

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:50 PM
DtEW
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Tripod/Ballhead Combination

I have a RRS BH-40 and a Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary, and my experience with it is that if my tripod was a Gitzo 3-series, I would opt for the RRS BH-55 head over the BH-40. I have found that my BH-40 is workable (i.e. static when left alone) against that sort of leverage (I use a 115mm dovetail plate so I can more-or-less balance the lens+body over the head), but not secure against a nudge.

In my situation, the BH-40 sits on a Gitzo Explorer 2-series that goes with me on long hikes, so that setup is not going to be altered. I don't intend on using the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary for that.

Jan 03, 2016 at 11:33 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Tripod/Ballhead Combination

My view is

carbon fibre gitzo (light, dampening) or RRS with 3 leg parts (not 4 - too much fiddling). No extender (adds vibration). It has been reported by Lloyd Chambers that RRS has better dampening of shutter vibration. Go with bigger size if you are not hiking long distances (I have thin gitzo for hiking and thick for most use).I have used gitzo for 3 and they have all been good. My next will be RRS based on Chambers analysis.

For ballhead - If hiking acratek; otherwiswe best is arca Swiss z1, then RRS big ball head. If hiking small (acratek is very small light) but if not then big and tough. I had a long post in gear on ball heads you should search. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1254219/0?keyword=Ballhead#11935379

Don't spare the wallet - it will just fall apart, fall off, cause vibration and you spend 2x over longer time.

Jan 04, 2016 at 01:34 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.