New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · LP-E4N charger?

Chris B.
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LP-E4N charger?

All 3 of my LP-E4 batteries have finally given up the ghost after providing me with many years of reliable service so I've broken down and spent the $$$$ on a couple of the new LP-E4Ns. Although Canon says that the LP-E4N will charge fine in the older charger, I'm wondering whether I should invest in the newer charger and be done with it... anyone else go down that route?

Chris

Nov 28, 2015 at 09:37 AM
jay125
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LP-E4N charger?

My original charger works fine with my new LP-E4N's. I've seen no adverse effects at all. As Canon itself stated, you can use the older charger for the new batteries.
Charge times are the same, and I get more images out of the LP-E4N batteries.
The price for the charger seems to average around $360.00 USD, or basically the price of 2 new batteries. For me, I'm fine with the original charger.

Nov 28, 2015 at 09:48 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LP-E4N charger?

I can't remember if it is in the instructions or elsewhere, but there is a note that the LP-E4 may not fully charge aged LP-E4N batteries. I would not be concerned about it and it definitely is not worth buying a new charger.

EBH

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:02 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LP-E4N charger?

You can use LP-E4N batteries with LC-E4 chargers, and vice versa, and get a full charge.

LP-E4 LP-E4N charging tests https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1285532/0#12256497
1Dx use 1DIV batts? https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1252275/0

I wasn't aware of the note from Canon about "aged" LP-E4N batteries mentioned by EBH, but I've had no problems with my LP-E4N batteries from mid-2012, which is about as old as they get.

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:14 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LP-E4N charger?

To be clear I meant batteries nearing end of life.

Canon LP-E4N battery pack:
•Included with EOS-1D X; can also be used in EOS-1D Mark III, Mark IV, and EOS-1Ds Mark III
•Can be charged in LC-E4N charger without qualifications
•Can be charged in older LC-E4 charger, but be aware of the following:
If an LP-E4N battery pack that has been charged and discharged many times is charged- up in the LC-E4 charger, all three of its charge indicator LEDs may blink repeatedly, which indicates a battery malfunction. If this occurs, press the Calibrate/Performance button on the charger, which changes the three LEDs to temporarily indicate a battery’s recharge performance level — in other words, its ability to take and hold a charge. If one or more LEDs display without blinking as the button is pressed, the battery is still OK.
If an LP-E4N with significant charge/discharge cycles during its life is charged using the previous LC-E4 charger, it’s possible that it may not be fully and completely recharged.The LC-E4N charger has been modified slightly to avoid this issue.

Source

EBH

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:23 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LP-E4N charger?

Fair enough. Anyway, if the battery is that gone, it's time for a new battery.

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:29 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LP-E4N charger?

jcolwell wrote:
Fair enough. Anyway, if the battery is that gone, it's time for a new battery.

Exactly.

EBH

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:40 AM
Chris B.
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LP-E4N charger?

Thanks for the info!

Given the fact that I'd used my older batteries for as long as 7 years, and they probably went through dozens of charge/recharge cycles when I worked as a pro, now that I've retired, it doesn't seem likely that I'll exhaust the new batteries nearly as much. Doesn't make sense to spring for the new charger!

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:43 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.