FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · White Sands in Color

D. von Briesen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · White Sands in Color

Soft pastels, or big n' bold, the colors at White Sands National Monument are unlike any place in the world I've visited. Honestly, I've seen displays of color there, both in intensity & expansive palette, that I didn't think existed in nature.

The reflective qualities of 275 square miles of absolutely pure white sand dunes, the curves, striations, knife edged slip faces, unique foliage, and often dramatic weather offers landscape photographers an incredibly rich diversity of photo opportunities.

I'm fortunate to be able to visit 3-4 times every year on my own or with workshops, and I have never had a bad visit. Temporal bad weather invariably turns to incredible opportunity. Clear skies can produce the most amazing earth's shadow colors you'll ever witness. High winds abate leaving high definition patterns everywhere.

It's a challenge always to find compositions when everywhere, everything is that beautiful; it's easy to be overwhelmed.

But settle down, let it come to you, spend some time just easing into the place, look to minimize, move a lot to change perspectives and remove unwanted 'clutter' and you'll head home with some amazing shots to hang on the wall.

Lastly, it's one place that really values photographers, and its program of early in & stay late permitting, as well as limited, first come-first serve camping for night photography, really helps out. It'll cost a bit ($50/hr) for the privilege, but I've always found it well worth the expense. The permit process is online and the man to talk to is Terry Wilder (ext. 206).

Put it on your bucket list, and perhaps like me you'll become so enamored of the place and the challenges it presents, not to mention addicted to the growth as a photographer that results from tackling those challenges, that you'll return, like "voting" in Chicago, early and often!!

Enjoy!! . . .

Derek von Briesen
Sedona, Arizona

Nov 27, 2015 at 05:29 PM
JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · White Sands in Color

Pretty cool. Can't get over how white the sand is.

Nov 28, 2015 at 08:06 AM
Henry W
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · White Sands in Color

Only thing better than your photos was your write-up. It oozes with tangible enthusiasm.
What a great spot!
I didn't know about the fee for early entry and went thru a semi-locked gate. Ended up with a sizable fine from the US courts but they finally dropped it.

Nov 28, 2015 at 09:39 AM
jsinon

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · White Sands in Color

Derek, these are amazing! #'s 2 and 3, just WOW!

Nov 28, 2015 at 09:46 AM
Mike Ganz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · White Sands in Color

Great stuff, Derek.. White Sands is a pretty magical place.

Nov 28, 2015 at 11:05 AM
Chance2
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · White Sands in Color

Some really pretty tones here.

So many places I must add to my bucket list...

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:22 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · White Sands in Color

Excellent set Derek!
Beautiful palette of colors! I need to get there some day!

Nov 29, 2015 at 09:39 AM
santos
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · White Sands in Color

Such a wonderful series !
The display of curves and colors in the first is a feast to the eye. With a little imagination one can look beyond curves and see circles, like cycles endlessly coming to life, and death.
The third image is also remarkable, through its minimalism and abstraction, pure lines, and its delicate color.

santiago

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:18 AM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · White Sands in Color

Love how the colors are set off by the brilliant white sand and how your compositions bring out the shapes and patterns as well as the colors.

Heron

Dec 01, 2015 at 01:16 AM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · White Sands in Color

I really like the first one Derek! Unlike a lot of the fantastic sunrise/sunsets I see on here, your photo isn't pushed too far and you still have texture through all colors in the clouds. Nice work.

Dec 01, 2015 at 11:31 AM
JimW56
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · White Sands in Color

Very nice set Derek. The last one is my favorite.

Jimmy

Dec 01, 2015 at 06:52 PM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · White Sands in Color

2 and 5 are great images. Love to see this part of the world.

Dec 02, 2015 at 06:11 PM
mievil

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · White Sands in Color

1 and 5 are my faves! 2 is awesome but feels too digital. Could just be the internet compression. But, really cool shots!

Dec 03, 2015 at 09:36 PM
rocco61
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · White Sands in Color

Exellent series

Dec 04, 2015 at 04:48 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.