New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Mystery soup picture.

campy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mystery soup picture.

Here is a quick picture I took a year ago at Thanksgiving. I wanted to take a better one this year but forgot all about it. It's a soup from my mothers village in Italy that we call GiGiDi's we are not sure how you spell it, but that's we call it. Any other Italians out there that may have had this soup and can give me the correct name? All the elders in the family are gone now but we continue the tradition at Thanksgiving. It's only made once a year because it's very labor intensive and some of it needs to be made over a couple of days.

Nov 27, 2015 at 03:39 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mystery soup picture.

Campy, that is a great picture and a great story, let me see if I can dig something out. Can you tell me what Italian region the soup originates from, and those dumplings in it, are they like miniature meat balls ?

Nov 27, 2015 at 04:09 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mystery soup picture.

The soup looks much like an Italian Wedding soup, I've eaten a few and they are usually spicy sausage, kale or spinach, white kidney or cannelloni beans, in a chicken broth, sometimes the beans are replaced with tortellini of some sort...I've not ate/seen the sausage only version but it looks yummy

Nov 27, 2015 at 04:38 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mystery soup picture.

I don't care what we call it, my question is how do we GET some of it??

Nov 27, 2015 at 04:42 PM
campy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mystery soup picture.

PetKal wrote:
Campy, that is a great picture and a great story, let me see if I can dig something out. Can you tell me what Italian region the soup originates from, and those dumplings in it, are they like miniature meat balls ?

It's from the Abruzzi area of Italy. Those are dumplings and meatballs in a chicken soup but if I tell you the rest of it I will have to kill you. Everything is made a few days before Thanksgiving and put together and cooked for about an hour to let the soup absorb into the GiGiDi's. Here is what they look like.

Nov 27, 2015 at 05:16 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mystery soup picture.

Looking at that soup picture is making me feel increasingly hungry.

Campy, almost every village in Italy have their own variation (and names for it) of regional soups......there are probably hundreds upon hundreds of such recipes. My initial Google scan has not yielded much. Trying to get "Gigidi" too, but no luck so far.

Nov 27, 2015 at 05:52 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mystery soup picture.

Peter, Google 'Italian Soup GIGIDI' and y'll get more hits

A veg only version
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187895-d1547761-r181877665-Trattoria_Gigi_Di_Lippi_Luciano-Florence_Tuscany.html

BTW, one of my next photo projects is for Linda, it will be food/kitchen related, some abstracts, standard fare and meals; gonna try my hand at food photography

Nov 27, 2015 at 05:58 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mystery soup picture.

StillFingerz wrote:
Peter, Google 'Italian Soup GIGIDI' and y'll get more hits

A veg only version
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187895-d1547761-r181877665-Trattoria_Gigi_Di_Lippi_Luciano-Florence_Tuscany.html

BTW, one of my next photo projects is for Linda, it will be food/kitchen related, some abstracts, standard fare and meals; gonna try my hand at food photography

Yeah, but that is a person's name: Gigi di Lippi.

Nov 27, 2015 at 06:29 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mystery soup picture.

It seems so, even English to Italian translators see it 'Gigi di' as a proper name, translating it into Gigi's Soup in the winter is a good thing, we just had Goose, guess what's next...yum

Nov 27, 2015 at 07:21 PM
campy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mystery soup picture.

I just had some leftovers and I don't like it as much the next day. The dumplings(gigidi's) absorb too much of the soup and grow to about 3 times their size and get very mushy. I like them much better when soft but firm, but yet my sister likes soft and mushy.

Nov 27, 2015 at 07:36 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mystery soup picture.

StillFingerz wrote:
It seems so, even English to Italian translators see it 'Gigi di' as a proper name, translating it into Gigi's Soup in the winter is a good thing, we just had Goose, guess what's next...yum

Goose is a bird of beauty, especially free range ones, IMO much better tasting than "industrial" turkeys...... BTW, where's Jefferson when we need him ?

Nov 27, 2015 at 08:43 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mystery soup picture.

PetKal wrote:
Goose is a bird of beauty, especially free range ones, IMO much better tasting than "industrial" turkeys...... BTW, where's Jefferson when we need him ?

Peter, the goose was wonderful, the fixins and a nice bottle of Pinot all made for an excellent family afternoon of fun, it's good I didn't have to drive...

As for Jeffy, racing season is over, teams are resting and will be winter testing soon, I'd guess there's little goings on at RA. He had messed up an ankle, was healing while shooting, I've not asked how things are rehabbing in a month or so. I hope he's resting up with some BBQ n suds, workin on his images

Nov 28, 2015 at 08:20 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.