Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 1D Mark IV mount problems - what to do? {RESOLVED}

p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1D Mark IV mount problems - what to do? {RESOLVED}

Another one bites the dust!..

Today, in the middle of a shoot, my camera stopped communicating with the lens (my new 16-35/4 L IS), giving 00 for aperture on the top display, and Err 01 (lens-camera communication failure) when attempting to fire the shutter. At first I blamed the dirty contacts on the lens and decided to clean them afterwards, but the failure persisted when I switched to another lens, the old 70-200/2.8 IS. With it mounted, I noticed a more ominous behaviour: the lens would wobble slightly, as I was able to rotate it on the bayonet a very small amount. When I did so and rotated it - with an audible click - counterclockwise, the contact resumed and I was able to shoot normally. When I spun it - whether intentionally or not - back clockwise a little, the aperture went 00 again.
When I came home, I tried most of my other lenses (16-35/4, 24/1.4, 50/1.8) on. The behaviour is the same with every one of them, but none (save the old, and presumably well worn) 70-200 give any noticeable (nor audible) rotation: there's just a tiny bit of movement that brings the contacts out of touch and the error sets in.
So what are my options (short of ignoring the problem and just shooting on, carefully checking whether the lens is in the "right" position everytime - which I'd rather avoid, as there's a high chance of failure whenever I become less attentive)? Cleaning the contacts anyway, trying to tighten the mount screws on the camera (and the screws that keep the contact pad in place down in the bayonet's throat), or just sending the camera in for repairs?

Edited by Guest on Dec 10, 2015 at 04:39 PM · View previous versions

Nov 27, 2015 at 01:25 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1D Mark IV mount problems - what to do? {RESOLVED}

Wobbling on certain, mainly telephoto lenses is normal. Mine does that too, but no error 00, luckily. The answer is obvious - if you have a reputable repair shop in St. Petersburg, that can look at the camera, you should take it to them and see what they can do.

Nov 27, 2015 at 02:07 PM

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1D Mark IV mount problems - what to do? {RESOLVED}

Milan Hutera wrote:
Wobbling on certain, mainly telephoto lenses is normal. Mine does that too, but no error 00, luckily. The answer is obvious - if you have a reputable repair shop in St. Petersburg, that can look at the camera, you should take it to them and see what they can do.

Well... of course we do. That's where all of my other junk was fixed when it was necessary. But could it be as simple as tightening some screws - should I try that first, or there's a caveat of some kind that means I shouldn't tamper with the camera?

Nov 27, 2015 at 02:11 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1D Mark IV mount problems - what to do? {RESOLVED}

Snopchenko wrote:
Well... of course we do. That's where all of my other junk was fixed when it was necessary. But could it be as simple as tightening some screws - should I try that first, or there's a caveat of some kind that means I shouldn't tamper with the camera?

Of course if there's a screw that needs tightening, you should try that, but this is likely some sort of electrical problem. So I'd rather leave the camera as-is so they can look at it and determine what went wrong. Bottom line is, slight wobbling is normal, so this shouldn't be the cause of problems.

Nov 27, 2015 at 02:53 PM
riokid
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1D Mark IV mount problems - what to do? {RESOLVED}

I am not sure if you need a "JIS" type screwdriver to avoid stripping the screwhead

Nov 27, 2015 at 05:04 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1D Mark IV mount problems - what to do? {RESOLVED}

It will be a flat rate repair of around $240 by Canon. If it happened to mine I would have it fixed.

Nov 27, 2015 at 06:28 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1D Mark IV mount problems - what to do? {RESOLVED}

You're out of warranty - no harm in trying a simple fix yourself first.

Nov 27, 2015 at 07:38 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1D Mark IV mount problems - what to do? {RESOLVED}

There is a pin on the camera side that drops into a elongated hole on the lens mount. It seems likely that the pin is damaged or not moving properly, or else the hole on the lens side is damaged.

Carefully inspect the pin and verify that its moving freely and not damaged.

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:30 PM

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1D Mark IV mount problems - what to do? {RESOLVED}

scalesusa wrote:
There is a pin on the camera side that drops into a elongated hole on the lens mount. It seems likely that the pin is damaged or not moving properly, or else the hole on the lens side is damaged.

Carefully inspect the pin and verify that its moving freely and not damaged.

It's doing fine. As I said, the movement is very tiny, not even something really detectable with most lenses except the 70-200. I'm afraid the repair people wouldn't even know what to do with this, or might try to replace a major part of the camera (say, the whole mount assembly, whatever it includes) for big $$$.
I might try to phone up an individual repairman who has fixed stuff for me in the past, though. I'm long since out of warranty anyway, so that might not be a bad idea...

Nov 28, 2015 at 03:06 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1D Mark IV mount problems - what to do? {RESOLVED}

Snopchenko wrote:
It's doing fine. As I said, the movement is very tiny, not even something really detectable with most lenses except the 70-200. I'm afraid the repair people wouldn't even know what to do with this, or might try to replace a major part of the camera (say, the whole mount assembly, whatever it includes) for big $$$.
I might try to phone up an individual repairman who has fixed stuff for me in the past, though. I'm long since out of warranty anyway, so that might not be a bad idea...

A small amount of rotation is normal, on some lenses, its very noticible, on others, the fit is snug. The small movement should not affect the lens operation. There is likely a contact issue, You are right, Canon will replace the whole assembly, they do not take them apart to replace individual springs or contacts.

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:47 AM
eyal.ma
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1D Mark IV mount problems - what to do? {RESOLVED}

TrojanHorse wrote:
You're out of warranty - no harm in trying a simple fix yourself first.

Unless you make it worse

Nov 29, 2015 at 03:42 AM

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1D Mark IV mount problems - what to do? {RESOLVED}

Well... trying to tighten the screws did nothing. So I guess off to the service it will go, and I need to find both a replacement unit, and $$$.

Nov 29, 2015 at 05:30 AM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1D Mark IV mount problems - what to do? {RESOLVED}

riokid wrote:
I am not sure if you need a "JIS" type screwdriver to avoid stripping the screwhead

Everything that is made in ASIA is all JIS ,electronics , even bike carburetor's are JIS.

Francois

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:36 AM

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1D Mark IV mount problems - what to do? {RESOLVED}

Well, i'm (semi-)happy to report the result of this story. The camera was declared fit for service and no longer exhibits any symptoms - presumably due to having had its contacts cleaned. The 70-200, however, went into servicing for badly worn bayonet, completely destroyed ass-gasket, worn contact pad and... autofocus motor that, according to the service personnel, would quit at any minute. I had a nagging suspicion that they were pulling my leg with the latter, but acquiesced and let them replace it - there's no harm in it, especially with the end of service life probably looming for the lens. And the money they asked for the motor were even less than the other repairs put together (7200 roubles vs. 10K something, around 17,5K total).
However, since I was left without a tele lens - I'm awash in wideangles, but after 35mm it's only a plastic fantastic for me now - I've rediscovered the wonderful world of dual wielding setup, having "appropriated" my wife's 650D and 18-135 to be used as a "telephoto" rig alongside the 1D Mark IV + 16-35/4. I've been drawing odd glances from colleagues on today's shoot but otherwise it was a decent enough arrangement for the shoot that wasn't very taxing on the telephoto side of things. Well... stranger things have happened to me (I tried the 18-135 on the 1D and decided that with all the vignetting it isn't worth the trouble while I have the 650D).
Maybe I'll get a long-lusted-for Tamron 70-300 VC to compensate, maybe not. Either way, I've found myself in an interesting situation.

Dec 10, 2015 at 04:06 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1D Mark IV mount problems - what to do? {RESOLVED}

I regularly take my EOS-M with 11-22 alongside my 6D with 50mm or 85mm, or longer, so I know what you mean .

Dec 10, 2015 at 04:47 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1D Mark IV mount problems - what to do? {RESOLVED}

Ilya, glad to hear the camera is ok. Bummer about the lens though. If you want, I can send you my perfectly working, pristine 70-200 f2.8L, just purchased the 70-200 f2.8 L IS II

Dec 10, 2015 at 04:48 PM

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1D Mark IV mount problems - what to do? {RESOLVED}

Milan Hutera wrote:
Ilya, glad to hear the camera is ok. Bummer about the lens though. If you want, I can send you my perfectly working, pristine 70-200 f2.8L, just purchased the 70-200 f2.8 L IS II

I appreciate it but I wouldn't know what to do with a non-IS lens in that range.

Dec 10, 2015 at 04:54 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.