Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Severe underexposure - how to check/cure it?

GiovanniAprea
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Severe underexposure - how to check/cure it?

Hey all,

got an old time dream camera from a forum user, a marvelous D2Xs, had it fixed a little issue with the metering switch and now, once in a while (not the "photography season"), I use it for a casual shot of my son or some object just for the sake of testing it.

Today I made a comparison with my old Fuji S5Pro (a Nikon D200 body with Fuji sensor and firmware) and the same lens, the 50/1.4D, same light, same subject, same aperture, same ISO, same exposure method, result is that the D2Xs underexposes a couple stops at least, when the S5 gives me 1/60th over f2.2 the D2Xs gives me 1/20th to 1/12th and the pics look the same to my eye.

Which other test can I make and how can I eventually check/fix the problem?

Thank you

Nov 27, 2015 at 09:57 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Severe underexposure - how to check/cure it?

What metering mode are you in? Are both set the same?

Is the exposure compensation set to underexpose?

Jim

Nov 27, 2015 at 04:05 PM
GiovanniAprea
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Severe underexposure - how to check/cure it?

I tried both on spot, average and matrix with the same results, D2X showing much slower shooting times but almost same exposure once checked on the rear screen.

I actually compensate the D2X with a -0.7 cos I found out that's the way to reach a balanced result (as if it naturally overexposes), dunno what to think :-(

Nov 27, 2015 at 04:34 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Severe underexposure - how to check/cure it?

This is strange as EVERY Nikon DSLR I have owned (7 or 8), have all required negative exposure comp. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Nov 27, 2015 at 04:44 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Severe underexposure - how to check/cure it?

Post some comparison pics...

I would try a reset of all settings.

Nov 27, 2015 at 04:51 PM
Mr. G
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Severe underexposure - how to check/cure it?

Giovanni, If that is the camera you purchased for me, I usually had "Auto ISO" turned on over a small range IE: 100 - 400 or 100 - 800. Even if you set an ISO number, if auto ISO is turned on it may choose it own ISO number based on built in algorithms up to the number that you preset.

Also, if the D2Xs is giving 1/20 and the Fuji is giving 1/60, the D2XS is overexposing (allowing more light to the sensor) in comparison to the Fuji.

It's hard to judge exposure by the on camera screen view. Much better to compare histograms or view the 2 comparison photos on a computer screen side by side and straight out of camera. I never found that camera to miss by more then 2/3rds stop and usually it was right on. I almost always used matrix metering.

You could also refer back to the old "Sunny f-16" rule from the film days. It still applies. Or meter both cameras off a an 18% gray card.

The meter in the D2Xs (and all Nikon's since) can be adjusted in 1/6th stop increments via custom setting b7 (i think for the D2Xs). Before you make any changes in the meter calibration compare identical photos from both cameras side by side on a computer screen to see if there is really a difference.

Gregg

Nov 27, 2015 at 06:29 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Severe underexposure - how to check/cure it?

Curious if this got resolved.

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:45 AM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Severe underexposure - how to check/cure it?

The iso on both camera's is not the same. Camera's are set on the same iso but the actually iso's are different. I have the same with a D2h ad Dsevenhunderd and this is the only exlanation I can finnd.
Check DxO mark for the differences for set and real iso values.

Nov 29, 2015 at 01:08 PM
GiovanniAprea
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Severe underexposure - how to check/cure it?

I took two shots of the same subject in manual mode, set ISO to 400, Auto ISO off, lens is the 85mm, mirror up lock, f5.6, 1/100th, central average exposure mode.

This time it seems much less obvious than in other circumstances but there still is a difference, dunno if you can access the full size pics over G+, wouldn't know where else to upload so you can compare exif and exposure difference to have an idea, the best would be to take both out and to compare on field to check the difference.

D2Xs vs S5Pro

Dec 02, 2015 at 09:10 AM
GiovanniAprea
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Severe underexposure - how to check/cure it?

Mr. G wrote:
Giovanni, If that is the camera you purchased for me, I usually had "Auto ISO" turned on over a small range IE: 100 - 400 or 100 - 800. Even if you set an ISO number, if auto ISO is turned on it may choose it own ISO number based on built in algorithms up to the number that you preset.

Also, if the D2Xs is giving 1/20 and the Fuji is giving 1/60, the D2XS is overexposing (allowing more light to the sensor) in comparison to the Fuji.

It's hard to judge exposure by the on camera screen view.
...Show more

Hey Gregg,

yep, that's your ex D2Xs, I know about auto ISO but tend not to use it on such cameras like the D2X or the S5Pro where I know the limitations of high ISO and as such I use it either on manual/fixed value or in an Auto range between 100-400.

Strange is that a few days ago, when I did test both cameras, the D2 was giving me much slower shooting speeds than the S5 (same lens, both DX sensor), the few times I took the camera with me I found out that I had to underexpose 2/3rd of a stop to get accurate (to my eye and to histogram) exposure in whatever any mode, be it average, spot or Matrix (which is the one I never ever use and dunno why...).

Today I shot in manual, first I used the D800 to check if my "eye meter" was around there at f5.6 over 1/100th at ISO400 and then I switched to both the S5 where the exposure dial, in manual mode, gave me spot on exposure, then moved to the D2 where I used same values and got a slightly underexposed image which I evaluated, side by side on LightRoom, to be the usual 2/3rd of a stop different.

Now if that's the problem I can live happy with it but have to test it over and over to find out about 2-3 stops slower times occurrences, I will keep testing it when I have time and post the results over here.

By the way I love that body feel, the grip is wonderfully natural and the difference of bulk/weight/size barely shows compared to my non gripped cameras (D800 and S5Pro), I think next I will start and look for a well kept D3 or D3x, who cares about MP, I am so well spoilt by the dynamic range of the Fuji S5 that I no longer look for MP (have enough on the D800 :-D ).

thank you all for your support

Dec 02, 2015 at 12:45 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.