New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

So I'm in the process of getting a light tripod for my multi-day longer trek. It would be either the RRS TQC-14 or the even lighter and smaller Gitzo GT1545T. I have been making do with the Jobu Algonquin, but it's time to spend some money to save my back later.

So in my search for a light ballhead, I came across the new RRS CB-18 Micro Ball and its tabletop tripod companion. I have dismissed these ground level tripod before since I deem them not too practical. However, I'm curious to see how others are using these tripods on the field for landscape or urbanscape. I can see some uses for urbanscape, especially there are many places would not allow people to bring their tripod in, no matter the size. My quick Google search shows some potential applications but I don't see how it would really help as a stable platform in most cases. Any input would be appreciated.

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:49 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

I have a Leitz table top tripod and mounted an RSS BH-25 with a QR screw plate for my D810's and Fujifilm XT-1.

Obviously, it isn't a replacement for some higher legs when you are out in a field but they are very valuable when you do urban shooting, interiors or where you have stable objects to place it. For example, at a recent trip to the Boeing Flight Museum, I was able to place it on a hand rail by rotating two of the legs so they would span the rail width with the other leg on the opposite side for stability. This gave me a very stable platform in which to do some long exposures and not impede other visitors or cause security staff to take notice. I have also used it against buildings and trees to capture long exposures just fine, pressure against the tripod to press it firmly against the object is required.

Nov 26, 2015 at 02:38 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

I really wanted to make a tabletop tripod work, purely for simplicity, size and weight.

Unfortunately, for hiking it just doesn't cut it. There are too many places where I need to get higher than a foot, and lots of those don't have convenient rocks or other places to perch. Also, most of them don't have a wide enough platform to properly tilt the camera back for, say, night skies.

I recently acquired a Sirui T-1205x. I settled on that because it was impossibly small and light which means I'll actually carry it a lot of places. In addition, it did not cost me nearly $1000, which again means I can be a little less cautions with it. It's not a block of concrete but it's plenty sturdy for most situations, and the size means it will go places that the others won't. The quality is shockingly high for the price.

Nov 26, 2015 at 04:25 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

binary visions wrote:
I really wanted to make a tabletop tripod work, purely for simplicity, size and weight.

Unfortunately, for hiking it just doesn't cut it. There are too many places where I need to get higher than a foot, and lots of those don't have convenient rocks or other places to perch. Also, most of them don't have a wide enough platform to properly tilt the camera back for, say, night skies.

I recently acquired a Sirui T-1205x. I settled on that because it was impossibly small and light which means I'll actually carry it a lot of places. In addition, it
...Show more

Exact same tripod I got for my daughter. She's trekked across SE Asia, upto MT. Everest base camp, through 2 week long backpack trips into remote areas and has brought back some amazing photos taken using the tripod. Still functioning as new. Seems to be one hell of a tripod for the money.

Nov 26, 2015 at 06:24 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

JBPhotog wrote:
I have a Leitz table top tripod and mounted an RSS BH-25 with a QR screw plate for my D810's and Fujifilm XT-1.

Obviously, it isn't a replacement for some higher legs when you are out in a field but they are very valuable when you do urban shooting, interiors or where you have stable objects to place it. For example, at a recent trip to the Boeing Flight Museum, I was able to place it on a hand rail by rotating two of the legs so they would span the rail width with the other leg on the opposite side
...Show more

That's what I have been seeing too. I am just curious that when you press the tripod against the wall or tree, what is your slowest shutter speed? Like a regular photo taking stance, I imagine that you would induce some slight tremor after about 1 to 2 seconds?

---------------------------------------------

binary visions wrote:

I recently acquired a Sirui T-1205x. I settled on that because it was impossibly small and light which means I'll actually carry it a lot of places. In addition, it
...Show more

chez wrote:
Exact same tripod I got for my daughter. She's trekked across SE Asia, upto MT. Everest base camp, through 2 week long backpack trips into remote areas and has brought back some amazing photos taken using the tripod. Still functioning as new. Seems to be one hell of a tripod for the money.

Thank you so much binary visions and chez. I didn't even know about the tripod. If it can survive such a trek, I think I can manage with my much shorter one . The price is very reasonable in comparison to the two I'm considering as well. Again, thank you for the unexpected helps.

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:31 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

I've tried the tabletop tripod on hikes as well, and wasn't satisfied. I'm back to carting around a travel tripod (Feisol 3441T in my case). I did manage to get some weight savings by using an RRS BH-25 in lieu of my larger ballheads, and honestly it's been fine with my mirrorless setup. No problem with a Sony A7 and 16-35FE for example, when I use EFCS. It's not as smooth in use, and you have to be careful while adjusting the camera as there is no base tension setting or separate panning lock. But the small size and light weight make up for it to me.

I'll have to look at that micro head from RRS, could be interesting, thanks for posting about it. And while I'm at it, thanks for all of your contributions on the Sony and Alt sub-fora

Nov 27, 2015 at 08:29 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

my TQC goes just about everywhere with me. just spent a week in Japan with it. I use the BH30 ball head with it as it is a perfect match.

the RRS microball head is very limited and is fairly specific in its use.
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Heads/bdiammm/18

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:04 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

uscmatt99 wrote:
I've tried the tabletop tripod on hikes as well, and wasn't satisfied. I'm back to carting around a travel tripod (Feisol 3441T in my case). I did manage to get some weight savings by using an RRS BH-25 in lieu of my larger ballheads, and honestly it's been fine with my mirrorless setup. No problem with a Sony A7 and 16-35FE for example, when I use EFCS. It's not as smooth in use, and you have to be careful while adjusting the camera as there is no base tension setting or separate panning lock. But the small size and light
...Show more

Thank you for your inputs Matt, and you're welcome . I guess tabletop tripod is too limited as I thought.

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:21 AM
lesaus
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

I have the Sirui T-025X Carbon Fiber Tripod with C-10X Ball Head that I use with my Canon SL1 when hiking - weighs 1.7# with the ballhead and is surprisingly study for such a light carbon fiber tripod.

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:43 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

hiepphotog wrote:
That's what I have been seeing too. I am just curious that when you press the tripod against the wall or tree, what is your slowest shutter speed? Like a regular photo taking stance, I imagine that you would induce some slight tremor after about 1 to 2 seconds?

Well as much as I like to think I can hold a camera steady without a support, I have captured tack sharp images at 8 seconds using my Leitz table top pod and RRS BH-25 head pressed against a wall. As long as you use constant pressure on the legs rather than the camera body, it is easily achievable.

Here's my set up,

Nov 27, 2015 at 02:03 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

If you carry an extension, top tables can be a lot more useful with a little more height. I often use mine on rocks, walls and even braced against my chest while standing or laying down. With an 3/8" to 5/8" adapter, it makes a great mic stand for field recording. I'd want a ball head a notch up from the RRS microbial head...

Nov 27, 2015 at 03:52 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

JBPhotog wrote:
Well as much as I like to think I can hold a camera steady without a support, I have captured tack sharp images at 8 seconds using my Leitz table top pod and RRS BH-25 head pressed against a wall. As long as you use constant pressure on the legs rather than the camera body, it is easily achievable.

Here's my set up,
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tcN0pCgah9Q/VCMn7S_qIqI/AAAAAAAABF8/RC5Z5kRineE/s865-Ic42/xt1b.jpg

Thank you. 8-Second is impressive. I don't think I would need a longer shutter. With IBIS, it must be a sure thing.

Gochugogi wrote:
If you carry an extension, top tables can be a lot more useful with a little more height. I often use mine on rocks, walls and even braced against my chest while standing or laying down. With an 3/8" to 5/8" adapter, it makes a great mic stand for field recording. I'd want a ball head a notch up from the RRS microbial head...

Thank you. What do you mean by "extension"?

Nov 27, 2015 at 04:45 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

hiepphotog wrote:
Thank you. 8-Second is impressive. I don't think I would need a longer shutter. With IBIS, it must be a sure thing.

Thank you. What do you mean by "extension"?

It's a tube that screws into the tripod and you mount the ball head on it. Puts the camera in a better position when bracing against walls, chest or railing. It's almost like a mini monopod.

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-259B-Extension-Table-Tripod/dp/B001A1Q0AM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1448669003&sr=8-4&keywords=manfrotto+table+top+tripod

Nov 27, 2015 at 07:06 PM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

I use mephoto day trip mini pods. The aren't tall, but light and cheap. Solid product, left mine out in field on remote camera sets in Kenya, AK, WY winters, no problems yet. Only issue is they sometimes rotate on the 3/8" bolt

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:04 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

Kisutch wrote:
I use mephoto day trip mini pods. The aren't tall, but light and cheap. Solid product, left mine out in field on remote camera sets in Kenya, AK, WY winters, no problems yet. Only issue is they sometimes rotate on the 3/8" bolt

A dab of Locktite on the bolt will fix that.

Nov 28, 2015 at 11:04 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

you know you mentioning the 8sec exposure on your TT tripod made me wonder how far you could easily go. so I popped my BH30 on my nifty new Feisol TT tripod and started to click using a D7200 w/16-80 f2.8-4 at 80mm close up. pointing downward diagonally towards my keyboard. it was pretty easy to get 13sec at f8 out of it on my rolling desk w/o any external support.

Edited on Nov 28, 2015 at 12:23 PM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2015 at 11:35 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

sjms wrote:
you know you mentioning the 8sec exposure on your TT tripod made me wonder how far you could easily go. so I popped my BH30 on my nifty new Feisol TT tripod and started to click using a D7200 w/16-80 f2.8-4 at 80mm close up. pointing downward it was pretty easy to get 13sec at f8 out of it on my rolling desk w/o any external support.

Were you holding onto the tripod? I have not tried to hold my tripod against any vertical flat surface so I don't know if it is easy or not. But I know I am not the most steady guy at holding camera .

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:10 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

nope. no need to

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:22 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

sjms wrote:
nope. no need to

But, it should be easy.The point of 8-second is how long you can hold your tripod + camera set-up up against a surface without having muscle tremors. Have not tried it before, I am doubting my ability to hold it steady for too long, especially not long enough compared to handholding it.

Nov 28, 2015 at 01:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How to use a tabletop tripod on the field

I apologize you are correct.
another try this time per instruction holding against the wall about 1.5 ft away.

Edited on Nov 28, 2015 at 01:38 PM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2015 at 01:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.