New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Canon DPP Updater

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon DPP Updater

I need to update DPP 4.x, but there seems to be nothing on the website to download. The only page I can find asks for S/N (for full download), but I don't have access to one now. Thanks.

EBH

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:15 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon DPP Updater

Google images is your best friend .

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:22 AM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon DPP Updater

Anny Serial number of a Recent DSLR will work , even lower end recent will work

Francois

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:24 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon DPP Updater

What browser? I just tried with safari and there is nothing there. Firefox worked.

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:26 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon DPP Updater

Just to be clear, is it correct that Canon no longer provides a DPP updater, but only the full version that requires a S/N to download? Of course I can find a S/N online somewhere, but I need to know the facts for the future as well.

FWIW, I am using Win 7. The new website positively stinks, but I don't think that is the issue.

EBH

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:02 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon DPP Updater

DPP 4 never was provided without a serial number... And if you got a single RAW file of a supported camera you can easily use the serial number embedded in that CR2.

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:51 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon DPP Updater

charlyw wrote:
DPP 4 never was provided without a serial number... And if you got a single RAW file of a supported camera you can easily use the serial number embedded in that CR2.

Thanks. I must have been thinking of the better DPP Canon had until 2014.

EBH

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:53 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon DPP Updater

12341234 works as a serial #

Nov 26, 2015 at 01:03 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon DPP Updater

EB-1 wrote:
Thanks. I must have been thinking of the better DPP Canon had until 2014.

Then you would be referring to DPP3 which should be available as usual - but which isn't anywhere close to the quality of DPP 4 for cameras that are supported by the latter...

Nov 26, 2015 at 01:03 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon DPP Updater

charlyw wrote:
Then you would be referring to DPP3 which should be available as usual - but which isn't anywhere close to the quality of DPP 4 for cameras that are supported by the latter...

I see no particular difference in the RAW conversions between DPP3 and 4, there are more advanced controls but very little else IMO to say "anywhere near close" is hyperbole and frankly, wrong

Nov 26, 2015 at 01:18 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon DPP Updater

dhphoto wrote:
I see no particular difference in the RAW conversions between DPP3 and 4, there are more advanced controls but very little else IMO to say "anywhere near close" is hyperbole and frankly, wrong

I see a marked increase in image quality from conversions with DPP 4 compared to the old conversions in DPP 3 for both my 7D and 7DII... The demosaicing algorithm itself seems quite a bit more refined.

Nov 26, 2015 at 01:31 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon DPP Updater

I was able to download an update to DPP from the "download" page of my camera. I'm not sure that's exactly what you're talking about though.

Nov 26, 2015 at 01:47 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon DPP Updater

You still can with Canon Canada but not with Canon USA's new site. If you go to this page and click on your cam you cannot get FW or software downloads. You have to click on support at the top and enter your camera model. You used to be able to do that right off the cam page but now you have to use the support menu.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/list/cameras/dslr/!ut/p/z1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfIjo8zifQM9LDw8nQ18_N2MXA0cfUPCfHyNPY1NXY30wwkpiAJKG-AAjgb6XmAFePQDXWBU5Ovsm64fVZBYkqGbmZeWrx-RnJibWpRYrB-RUpxTBHREFKoxBkGW5gaOZi5mHpZ-TgaeniYYCsKcTIAKLF2cjY3cQE6BKsDj0oLciCofD4NMT0dFRQB095PN/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

Nov 26, 2015 at 02:05 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon DPP Updater

EB-1 wrote:
I need to update DPP 4.x, but there seems to be nothing on the website to download. The only page I can find asks for S/N (for full download), but I don't have access to one now. Thanks.

EBH

With a Mac I noticed I was limited to what I could download using El Capitan which is what Canon auto recognized. When I selected Mavericks or another older OSX I was able to access everything.

Nov 26, 2015 at 02:10 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon DPP Updater

charlyw wrote:
I see a marked increase in image quality from conversions with DPP 4 compared to the old conversions in DPP 3 for both my 7D and 7DII... The demosaicing algorithm itself seems quite a bit more refined.

Please post some examples.

I see no difference in the algorythms between the programs for actual image quality

Nov 26, 2015 at 02:16 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon DPP Updater

charlyw wrote:

I don't understand what you mean. Most of the pro cameras don't overlap; for example the 1Ds III is not supported by 4. The 5D III looks about the same from what I noticed. DPP4 is terribly slow and does not use multiple threads very well, so I only use it with the 5DsR. However, it is awful that the same folder with other camera files has to be viewed with two DPPs at the same time, depending on the camera used.

EBH

Nov 26, 2015 at 03:00 PM
elluDe
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon DPP Updater

DPP 3 runs fast and is easy to use on my laptop, but unfortunately DPP4 runs slowly for me too on the same machine. Its just about usable, but the slowness to respond when adjusting sliders, cropping, etc makes it a bit frustrating at times.

Can't say I've noticed any great difference in the quality of files when converted to jpeg, so I'm pretty much sticking with DPP 3 for the moment at least.

Nov 29, 2015 at 09:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.